Who are going to be our best hitters this year?

Justin Hargett and Justin Bryant should be some pretty good base hitters.

Also I feel like Dan Gamache will step up in a big way. 

I just wish we could've kept Mummey.

I had forgotten about Gamache. I too always liked his bat and expect him to improve his numbers. He just needs to be better in the field IMO.

I agree with most of these guys. Gamache, Simpson, and Hargett are the one's I'm looking forward to seeing. It all depends, imo, how they all adapt to the new bats. Couch P said there is an obvious difference in the way the ball leaves the new bats. War Eagle!

New bats?  Excuse my ignorance, but that is the first I've heard of them.  What have they changed about the bats?

The NCAA has mandated a change in all college bats for this year to reduce the speed the ball comes off the bat. They were and rightly so concerned that there have been too many injuries, especially to pitchers with the older livelier bats. Takes place this spring on a trieal basis I believe.

auclong is correct. The previous composite bats gained pop the longer you used them. Players began to find out that you could break up the composite by wrapping the bat up in a towel and running it over with a car. This would essentially send the ball anywhere from 5-35 feet deeper than it would've carried originally. They've outlawed it in high school ball as well.

The new bats now have to be BBCOR certified. This basically means that the collegiate bats have to be equivalent to a wooden bat.

I think the middle of the order will be

3 Gamache

4 Caldwell

5 Patterson

Or another combination of these 3 guys.  I hope Gamache and Caldwell can hit 12-15 HRS and hit for an AVG in the mid 300s.  I think Patterson could hit 20 bombs but I expect his average to fall to around 300 as he plays everyday.

I think Fradejas, Bryant, Simpson and Hargett should all hit in the mid 300s similar to last year and should set up the table for our big guys, but I expect much of the run production to come from our middle of the order listed above.

Thanks for the explanation of the new bats. I just knew they were different this year. I knew it had something to do with the way the ball left the bat. War Eagle!!

Our best hitters this year should be Caldwell, Fradejas, and Patterson.

The new bat rules will have the biggest impact on Patterson, but I look for Aubur nto use their speed and play a lot of small ball, hit and run type of game. Gamache, Bryant, Simpson, Hargett, and McElroy will have to be productive in order to score runs and I think Alvord will suprise a lot of people this year.

auclong is correct. The previous composite bats gained pop the longer you used them. Players began to find out that you could break up the composite by wrapping the bat up in a towel and running it over with a car. This would essentially send the ball anywhere from 5-35 feet deeper than it would've carried originally. They've outlawed it in high school ball as well.

The new bats now have to be BBCOR certified. This basically means that the collegiate bats have to be equivalent to a wooden bat.

I have a great idea...why doesn't college go ahead and just switch to wooden bats. That might fix their issue.

I attended the UVA game and it was not a very impressive show of our hitting. But honestly, I felt like the bats really made a difference. The ball did not have that pop off the bat and well hit balls hardly went anywhere. Yes that is just an excuse, but I am not sure what is up. McElroy is looking to be a strong hitter so far. We only scored 2 runs yesterday and both of those were with the reserves in but the starters just didn't have it. I am hoping it was just an off day + a good pitching performance from Virginia.

Yes, unfortunately, these bats have had a huge difference on this team. I've been to every game of the tournament now, and out of four games, there has been one home run hit. Chalk up yesterdays poor hitting mainly due to UVA's starting pitcher. That guy was nasty. As for the original question now that I've had a chance to check everyone out, I say our best hitters will be Creed Simpson for most hits, and Casey McElroy for most power

Yes, unfortunately, these bats have had a huge difference on this team. I've been to every game of the tournament now, and out of four games, there has been one home run hit. Chalk up yesterdays poor hitting mainly due to UVA's starting pitcher. That guy was nasty. As for the original question now that I've had a chance to check everyone out, I say our best hitters will be Creed Simpson for most hits, and Casey McElroy for most power

Agreed on Creede Simpson, that guy has been a stud since he was about 13 years old and I played travel ball against him. On the power, I agree with McElroy but I also think Caldwell has a shot to beat him. Once Caldwell gets going he will be very good

I have a great idea...why doesn't college go ahead and just switch to wooden bats. That might fix their issue.

Way too expensive. A good wood bat runs from $60-80 a pop. You get about 10 of those per player and thats $18,000 for the team compared to a team set of BBCOR bats that you'll get from your sponsorship. It'd be really hard for Louisville Slugger, Mizuno, Easton, etc. to sponsor 120+ collegiate teams and give them unlimited wood.

Most collegiate baseball programs run in the minus anyways. I believe most SEC schools are an exception to that though.

Archived