AU v UGA Game Thread

around4ever

Neysmith, IMO definitely gone...no discussion, period, end of story. 

Chubb has to go.  He had one good game, 2 or 3 okay games, and the rest of the time he was a non factor.  He makes poor decisions with the ball, he fouls too much, he is 6'10 and brings the ball to his waist (or dribbles it) in the lane, and is just not good.  I think we could use his scholarship elsewhere. 

Do you think either of these two guys would have made the roster at any other SEC school?

To answer your question, No. haha. You make good points about Chubb's ability but the way I see it is he is only a sophomore so, in theory at least, he has time to get coached up and refine his game. More importantly, this team can't afford to let go of a 6'10" guy that can run the floor well.

With that being said, if we bring in the 6'9'' recruit Brandon Mobley then I'm sure Chubb is gone.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Kenny Gabriel wasn't kidding on his comment about Barbee not sugar coating his words.  After the game today, he said something to the effect of "we were playing a bunch of men out there today, and all I had were boys on the court.  physically.".  Ouch!!!

Go get some scorers, Coach, and let's surprise some people next year!!!

War Eagle!!

Neysmith and Armstrong are gone. Chubb may be depending on if we can sign anyone else. The only thing that may save him is that he is 6'10. If they have a chance to get Lacey or the other kid who visited or both, there really is no one on this team other than Sullivan, Ross and Gabriel that I wouldnt let go

How come our 6'10" guy always looks so much smaller than the other teams big guys? Maybe they are using the same ruler the football team uses. Ha! ;)

Neysmith, IMO definitely gone...no discussion, period, end of story. 

Chubb has to go.  He had one good game, 2 or 3 okay games, and the rest of the time he was a non factor.  He makes poor decisions with the ball, he fouls too much, he is 6'10 and brings the ball to his waist (or dribbles it) in the lane, and is just not good.  I think we could use his scholarship elsewhere. 

Do you think either of these two guys would have made the roster at any other SEC school?

To answer your question, No. haha. You make good points about Chubb's ability but the way I see it is he is only a sophomore so, in theory at least, he has time to get coached up and refine his game. More importantly, this team can't afford to let go of a 6'10" guy that can run the floor well.

With that being said, if we bring in the 6'9'' recruit Brandon Mobley then I'm sure Chubb is gone.

Chubb definitely has to go.  He can not play defense, and his skills are not SEC quality. 

Get the deadwood out and get some talent in here.  (I know most of these kids are 1 or 2 years removed from HS,  but Lebo had a terrible record at getting talent in.  Some of these players need to transfer to a school/conference that better suits their talent level.)

With that said...I am proud of what the team was able to do this year.  At the beginning of the season I said I would be happy with a team that stole a game or two against the SEC.  Everyone knew going into the season it was going to be a bad one.    Mercifully, the season is over and we can look forward to next year when we should be much more improved.  I think Barbee is the man to get us to the big tourney and win a lot of games.

War Eagle!

Neysmith and Armstrong are gone. Chubb may be depending on if we can sign anyone else. The only thing that may save him is that he is 6'10. If they have a chance to get Lacey or the other kid who visited or both, there really is no one on this team other than Sullivan, Ross and Gabriel that I wouldnt let go

I think the Langford kid and Denson will stick around since Barbee recruited both. I believe they both improve dramatically as Sophmores.

Agreed O and B.  Denson is the one player where I saw clear improvement throughout the year.  He was nonexistent before the SEC games started and Barbee kind of spoon fed him along.  Down the stretch he was still prone to bonehead mistakes, but he played aggressively and he took the ball to the rim.  Something only Ross and Gabriel could do earlier in the season.  If I was starting a b-ball team I would keep a guy like Denson. 

If I was starting a company that got things out of trees (i.e. frisbees, footballs, kitties, etc...) I would hire Chubb on the spot. 

I'm surprised to hear so many in favor of basically "cutting" players because our current coach didn't recruit them.  It is my position in football and in basketball, that we should cut kids or pull their scholarships just because they aren't playing at the level you want.  You offered them scholarships and should live up to it.  Now if there is an attitude, grade, conduct, or other issues that is different.

I'm surprised to hear so many in favor of basically "cutting" players because our current coach didn't recruit them.  It is my position in football and in basketball, that we should cut kids or pull their scholarships just because they aren't playing at the level you want.  You offered them scholarships and should live up to it.  Now if there is an attitude, grade, conduct, or other issues that is different.

I agree with you to a point. Barbee inherited these players and if he doesn't turn this thing around, he will be fired. Barbee is well-paid and he must bring a sense of excitement to Auburn Basketball with the new arena.

Having to turn some kids away is sad, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to be successful.

Being on scholarship is just like having a job. You don't perform you are gone. Hate it, but that's the way it is.

Totally agree.  If you don't perform in the classroom, you don't get your academic scholarship renewed, do you?

:dunno:

I definitely see your point and I think that should apply to football scholarships but not with basketball. Like mentioned earlier, the athletic scholarships are renewed yearly. And with basketball, you only get 13 scholarships.

Here's who I think will return for next years roster:

Ross, Gabriel, Sullivan, Ward, Denson, Langford, Forbes, Chubb

And add McAfee, Kouassi, Morena, and two other uncommitted recruits.

Don't forget Noel Johnson.

Here's who I think will return for next years roster:

Ross, Gabriel, Sullivan, Ward, Denson, Langford, Forbes, Chubb

And add McAfee, Kouassi, Morena, and two other uncommitted recruits.

Don't forget Noel Johnson.

I thought he wasn't going to be eligible until 2012?

My understanding is Johnson will be eligible Jan. 1, 2012.

On booting kids off...I am not fond of that, but understand the predicament a new coach is in...and it is magnified in basketball due to the few number of scholarships you have to work with on the court at any given time.

that said, if our attitude is the kids get booted because they are not "meeting the quality standard of play" that is expected a year at a time...then we should not be so critical of the midget at Tuscaloser for booting kids off the football team for the very same reason...better talent coming in. I can't stand him, but I do not care for hypocrisy either. any way you look at it, it is a tough situation.  it is obvious improvements must be made in basketball.

My understanding is Johnson will be eligible Jan. 1, 2012.

On booting kids off...I am not fond of that, but understand the predicament a new coach is in...and it is magnified in basketball due to the few number of scholarships you have to work with on the court at any given time.

that said, if our attitude is the kids get booted because they are not "meeting the quality standard of play" that is expected a year at a time...then we should not be so critical of the midget at Tuscaloser for booting kids off the football team for the very same reason...better talent coming in. I can't stand him, but I do not care for hypocrisy either. any way you look at it, it is a tough situation.  it is obvious improvements must be made in basketball.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, there is one difference in the situations, in that some if not most of the players Saban gets rid of are players he recruited. The players that have suggested to be kicked off will most likely be none of Barbee's players, and he wants to get a team of his players. It is terrible for the players to get treated like this, but we live in a world that doesn't exactly treat us well

Barbee is responsible for cooking dinner and he didn't get to pick out the groceries.  We fired Lebo, we brought Barbee in, let the guy go get his style of players and start winning some games.  

with only 12 allowed scholarships u just cant people who do not have the ability to keep a guy that doesnt have the ability tp develop into an sec player. no offense to chubb, armstrong, forbes, neysmith, the abiklity just isnt there. u cannot keep half ur roster w non d1 guys. football is different with 85 scholarships. i also agree if the coach brings in the player he should be safe

I wasn't saying changes should not be made, but rather saying I did not like the practice of kicking a kid off scholarship, regardless of the sport or who recruited him. While I understand the reality of the situation and its magnification on teams with a smaller number of scholarship players, i.e. basketball, and circumstances vary....the result is the same for the kid involved. And we often comment on here that the kids are committing to the school, not the coach. We also  often bash other teams for doing the very same thing. And if my other post on here was not clear, no how, no way think that I am defending what the midget does wherever he goes.  My primary point was the hypocrisy.

I think it is terrible for any coach at any school to kick a player off the team or cut him because he isn't playing as good as you like.  The bottom line is the school offered the kid a scholarship, and if he makes his grades, follows the team rules, works his tail off, then he should remain on the team until his eligibility is up (unless injured).  No ifs ands buts about it, don't care who recruited the kid, he should not be forced out the door. 

Some of this is on Barbee, his top two recruits failed to qualify, he choose those players, and they couldn't get in.  Educating these kids is number 1, winning is number 2 as far as Auburn is concerned.  I get that Barbee has to win to keep his job, but he took the job with knowledge of the status of the talent. 

I also can't stand hypocrisy, this is no different then football, just because you have less scholarships. 

Why couldn't Georgia play this way against us like they'e been playing against UAT. They were up by 14 and now UAT tied the game with 1 second left. It looks like OT is coming.

Archived