Southern Hospitality and ESPN

Tigerbelle

I'm just wondering how ESPN will be treated by AU fans on campus this coming season. I know last season a few fans heckled a guy from ESPN, and he was pretty shaken up by it.

ESPN has allowed so much more misinformation to be broadcast since that day, not to mention the undeserved pounding they gave Cam during his Heisman Ceremony. I have to question how much warmth they will experience now that they have seriously strained the relationship with the Auburn Family.

I hope everyone is civil, as most are anyway....but beyond that I don't know what to expect from the fans. Has all the water passed under the bridge yet?

I'm just wondering how ESPN will be treated by AU fans on campus this coming season. I know last season a few fans heckled a guy from ESPN, and he was pretty shaken up by it.

ESPN has allowed so much more misinformation to be broadcast since that day, not to mention the undeserved pounding they gave Cam during his Heisman Ceremony. I have to question how much warmth they will experience now that they have seriously strained the relationship with the Auburn Family.

I hope everyone is civil, as most are anyway....but beyond that I don't know what to expect from the fans. Has all the water passed under the bridge yet?

Belle, I bought several barrels of tar.  Now I'm waiting on the chickens to molt.  I'll be eager to see the ESPN crew on game day.  ;D

WDE !!!

Perhaps a polite statement on the matter...give them the silent treatment or something with plenty of signs.....but keep it civil.  The Heisman awards program was brutal and unacceptable and should not be forgotten.

Belle, I bought several barrels of tar.  Now I'm waiting on the chickens to molt.  I'll be eager to see the ESPN crew on game day.   ;D

WDE !!!

:laugh:

Who's running them out of town on the rail?

Perhaps a polite statement on the matter...give them the silent treatment or something with plenty of signs.....but keep it civil.  The Heisman awards program was brutal and unacceptable and should not be forgotten.

Excellent response.

Excellent response.

Toragirl, I take it you're not in favor of a good ole tar and feathering ?  ;D

I think they should shut down the feeding trough also known as press row in the press box...just feed them some good ole Krystals (A.K.A, Gut Grenades).  By the third quarter they'll be hatin' on each other and not us!

Honestly, and totally a humble opinion, and open to criticism, but I think that ESPN might actually end up kind of liking us this year. Let's say AU is an underdog in 6 games this year which is always possible in the SEC, then they don't have a chance to be wrong. Think about it...talk all day about the athleticism, but also say they are so young and inexperienced. They will be right if we win and right if we lose. And when ESPN likes you they will say good things about you, or hopefully not say bad things about you. I am pretty sure the Cam thing will come up at every game this next year in passing, but now that the newest scandal is out, I'm pretty sure they will let it fade like most everyone else will. I am not the kind to forgive and forget, but I will forgive and NOT forget some of what they did. Just like SPB and other crap sports sites...they gave "the people" what they wanted. What entertainment company doesn't? I hate the way they treated Cam and the whole situation really, but I do believe they did it for the numbers, and not because they hate AU. I love Gameday on campus, and I think some well deserved "SUCK IT ESPN" signs need to be on the front row come Saturday, but all within reason. It is good for Auburn, especially recruiting wise to have those cameras on campus. I don't think ESPN will overlook it if we have say go away and never go back though. There we go though my opinion on the ordeal...hate 'em within reason!

I think we remind them how wrong they were last year, and we let them know that while they are a guest in our home they will NOT speak ill of any member of our family. 

I seriously doubt BSPN will do a Gameday at Auburn this year, unless we are having a great year and it's late in the season. As far as BSPN just broadcasting games from Auburn, the guys will be in a booth and safe. I am sure they will be happy about that. The one guy you are referring to, about getting hassled, was Mark Schlabach(sp). He was one of the very first journalists that insinuated that Auburn had bought Cam. He deserved every bit of what he received, and actually deserved worse IMO.

I think things could have been better over time, but ESPN's defense of bama (suitgate,etc) shows they don't care about equal or fair play.

I think they should open the season with "Welcome to the Jungle" over the PA as Joe Schad has that little leather pouch tied around his neck at the 50 yard line and they release multiple eagles and everyone chants AUBURN TIGERS

just my .02

I seriously doubt BSPN will do a Gameday at Auburn this year, unless we are having a great year and it's late in the season. As far as BSPN just broadcasting games from Auburn, the guys will be in a booth and safe. I am sure they will be happy about that. The one guy you are referring to, about getting hassled, was Mark Schlabach(sp). He was one of the very first journalists that insinuated that Auburn had bought Cam. He deserved every bit of what he received, and actually deserved worse IMO.

ESPN has already named 3 possible dates and have reserved hotels for those dates. Florida, Alabama, and maybe Mississippi State? I can't remember the third one. But they will be making a trip to Auburn at somepoint throughout the year.

If there is a Game Day at Auburn this year then I think we pack the area around the site and keep every thing extremely quiet instead of being rowdy as we usualy are and all carry signs in protest of the treatment of Cam and Auburn last year. We are already being dissed this year by all of our early games so we as fans should silently protest bspn and let the players speak for  the Family on the field. >:(

I think things could have been better over time, but ESPN's defense of bama (suitgate,etc) shows they don't care about equal or fair play.

^^This is true.  And, even more importantly, ESPN has failed to report the multiple issues at LSU ~ they just received probation for crying out loud and it was barely a blip on ESPN's radar.  Now there is rumor that yet another LSU player received "housing aid" and ESPN has yet to report a dang thing on it.  Not to mention the Will Lyles/LSU connection.

There is legitimate sports news out there on several schools and they refuse to investigate or report on it.

:banghead:

If we had not won the "BCS National Championship" the Cam story would only have been a "blip" on their radar. Although we know they were unjust in their coverage, it didn't affect my celebration. The negative stories were a lot better than being 8-4 and non-relevant! I say we keep winning and let the butt-hurt continue!

:we:                                                                                                                           

!

If we had not won the "BCS National Championship" the Cam story would only have been a "blip" on their radar. Although we know they were unjust in their coverage, it didn't affect my celebration. The negative stories were a lot better than being 8-4 and non-relevant! I say we keep winning and let the butt-hurt continue!

Now that's a profound and insightful perspective.  I like it!

Archived