"NCAA president Mark Emmert refuses to say Cam Newton probe is open or closed"

Elephant Tipper

This is about an interview conducted by Dan Patrick w/ Mark Emmert this morning.  Most about UM, then about Cam. 

Entire portion re: Cam,

"Patrick then asked Emmert a question of more local importance: "Is the Cam Newton investigation still going on?"

This was Emmert's verbatim response: "We don't talk about investigations, but when they're closed, they're closed. They will continue to look at anything they have available in any of these situations until they've reached a conclusion that there's nothing more to discover in any of these cases."

Patrick responded, "I can assume then, since I haven't heard that it's closed, that it's ongoing."

Emmert laughed and replied, "You can make your assumptions. That's fine."

So after saying that the NCAA doesn't comment on investigations, and then commenting with some specific details about the Miami investigation, Emmert refused to say anything specific about the Newton probe.

That won't stop the rest of the free world from reading between the lines. And apparently nothing will stop Emmert from talking to the media, even when he's not giving us the answers we want."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/ncaa_president_mark_emmert_doe.html

Emmert and the NCAA are all POS's IMO. Do your job NCAA and find a solution/resoluation one way or another. The more it drags on, the more it wreaks of NCAA incompetence.

i believe the ncaa has a suspicion that au paid newton but doesnt have one bit of evidence. they want to drag it out as long as they can just hoping that something calls out. emmert said yesterday that if sheridan had any info, he would welcome his call... hmmm

i believe the ncaa has a suspicion that au paid newton but doesnt have one bit of evidence. they want to drag it out as long as they can just hoping that something calls out. emmert said yesterday that if sheridan had any info, he would welcome his call... hmmm

Pichelmayer, your inference that "the NCAA has a suspicion" is unfounded unless you have evidence to back it up, like a public statement of some sort, and there never has been.  Furthermore, there has never been the discussion by serious people that AU paid, or even offered the Newtons money.  That discussion pertains ONLY to MSU, period !

WDE !!!

:zapbama:  :zapbama:  :zapbama:

Pichelmayer, your inference that "the NCAA has a suspicion" is unfounded unless you have evidence to back it up, like a public statement of some sort, and there never has been.  Furthermore, there has never been the discussion by serious people that AU paid, or even offered the Newtons money.  That discussion pertains ONLY to MSU, period !

WDE !!!

:zapbama:   :zapbama:   :zapbama:

......and still there's no discussion of MSU being investigated for boosters offering Cecil money and recruiting players to the school.  Sounds like a case of "lack of institutional control."

F-bomb will be running with this one today on Mark Emmert comments.

He and the bammers we will be running this in the ground this afternoon.

This is about an interview conducted by Dan Patrick w/ Mark Emmert this morning.  Most about UM, then about Cam. 

Entire portion re: Cam,

"Patrick then asked Emmert a question of more local importance: "Is the Cam Newton investigation still going on?"

This was Emmert's verbatim response: "We don't talk about investigations, but when they're closed, they're closed. They will continue to look at anything they have available in any of these situations until they've reached a conclusion that there's nothing more to discover in any of these cases."

Patrick responded, "I can assume then, since I haven't heard that it's closed, that it's ongoing."

Emmert laughed and replied, "You can make your assumptions. That's fine."

So after saying that the NCAA doesn't comment on investigations, and then commenting with some specific details about the Miami investigation, Emmert refused to say anything specific about the Newton probe.

That won't stop the rest of the free world from reading between the lines. And apparently nothing will stop Emmert from talking to the media, even when he's not giving us the answers we want."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/ncaa_president_mark_emmert_doe.html

Makes no sense to me.  Detailed comments about the UM investigation, but nothing about Cam because "we don't talk about investigations?" Did I miss something here.

WDE !!!

:zapbama:   :zapbama:   :zapbama:

i believe the case came from the msu side and was pushed over on auburn by default bc newton signed w/ auburn. there is obviously a suspicion, otherwise there wouldnt be any topics like this around these message boards. i dont believe we paid newton but there are suspicions. otherwise there wouldnt be conversations like the "you'll know when we're done" conversation

Why is Dan Patrick talking about old news? Why didn't he ask if the NCAA is investigating UA for their violations at TTMW?

And why are we jumping on the Pickle mayor when he's just stating the obvious? We're all on the same page here.

:we:

Why is Dan Patrick talking about old news? Why didn't he ask if the NCAA is investigating UA for their violations at TTMW?

And why are we jumping on the Pickle mayor when he's just stating the obvious? We're all on the same page here.

Well, phillyeagle, you're right.  I did jump on Pichelmeyer.  Sorry PM, didn't mean that.  It's just that comments get twisted a bit and then a new fire is ignited. 

This situation about the Newtons is continually thrust into the media when people like DP or PF or Bagman Sheridan have the desire to stir things to tarnish AU.  What I have a problem with is that there is a "suspicion" about AU and that is not the case.  Yes, there has been a suspicion about the Newtons involvement with money at MSU, which was substantiated by the fact of ACTUAL people and ACTUAL discussions. The UpDykes are eager to fan that flame towards AU with people like PF and Bagman Sheridan.  There is the legitimate question "Did AU pay $$$ ?"  There is no linkage of a $$$ discussion to AU other than Cecil Newton's presence, and that's it.  No person(s) from AU has ever been under "suspicion" for having a discussion with the Newtons, let alone having actually paid money.  And THAT is the blank that Bagman Sheridan is trying to fill by creating the "Bagman".  The difference between suspicion/question is HUGE but subtle and that's where Bagman Sheridan steps in to assist in further muddying those waters, even in the minds of the AU faithful.  The  "question" whether someone at AU broke NCAA rules, that's a pursuit of facts.  UpDykes have the "suspicion" and that is a witch hunt, not an investigation.  The UpDykes attribute malevolence to AU based on inuendo and the NCAA is asking if there are any facts, not attributing guilt by just asking a question. 

Those are the subtle differences in the wording which PM chose and the flame I keep trying to extinguish, especially when carried to an AU board.

WDE !!!

PS  The word "suspicion" connotes guilt.  Maybe I should have said that first.  Also, when the word "is" is successfully redefined by one person for personal needs, then caution must be dutifully exercised when using inflammatory words like suspicion.  UpDykes are EAGER for AU fans to use that word rather than "question", which is a neutral word therefore not attributing guilt.  If the discussion must be, then use the word "investigate" or "investigation".  Those are neutral words and therefore do not imply guilt.

I'll try to shut my trap now.....maybe.  ;D

Well, phillyeagle, you're right.  I did jump on Pichelmeyer.  Sorry PM, didn't mean that.  It's just that comments get twisted a bit and then a new fire is ignited. 

This situation about the Newtons is continually thrust into the media when people like DP or PF or Bagman Sheridan have the desire to stir things to tarnish AU.  What I have a problem with is that there is a "suspicion" about AU and that is not the case.  Yes, there has been a suspicion about the Newtons involvement with money at MSU, which was substantiated by the fact of ACTUAL people and ACTUAL discussions. The UpDykes are eager to fan that flame towards AU with people like PF and Bagman Sheridan.  There is the legitimate question "Did AU pay $$$ ?"  There is no linkage of a $$$ discussion to AU other than Cecil Newton's presence, and that's it.  No person(s) from AU has ever been under "suspicion" for having a discussion with the Newtons, let alone having actually paid money.  And THAT is the blank that Bagman Sheridan is trying to fill by creating the "Bagman".  The difference between suspicion/question is HUGE but subtle and that's where Bagman Sheridan steps in to assist in further muddying those waters, even in the minds of the AU faithful.  The  "question" whether someone at AU broke NCAA rules, that's a pursuit of facts.  UpDykes have the "suspicion" and that is a witch hunt, not an investigation.  The UpDykes attribute malevolence to AU based on inuendo and the NCAA is asking if there are any facts, not attributing guilt by just asking a question. 

Those are the subtle differences in the wording which PM chose and the flame I keep trying to extinguish, especially when carried to an AU board.

WDE !!!

PS  The word "suspicion" connotes guilt.  Maybe I should have said that first.  Also, when the word "is" is successfully redefined by one person for personal needs, then caution must be dutifully exercised when using inflammatory words like suspicion.  UpDykes are EAGER for AU fans to use that word rather than "question", which is a neutral word therefore not attributing guilt.  If the discussion must be, then use the word "investigate" or "investigation".  Those are neutral words and therefore do not imply guilt.

I'll try to shut my trap now.....maybe.   ;D

no offense taken. "suspicion" doesnt necessarily connote guilt. ur friend (ncaa) may have heard ur gf was out with another guy and ur friend may have a suspicion that shes cheating. well like that, you know whats going on at home. you know the story and the truth. i do not believe we done anything wrong, otherwise we would of been hit with a ton of bricks. War Eagle and bring on the season :wareagle:

au contrare PM, "suspicion" does connote guilt.  That is the definition of "suspect".  It means, "guilty without proof". 

This is why I am adamant about how the word is used, a la Bill Clinton.  Please consider using another word.

WDE !!!

PS Yes, War Eagle and bring on the season !

I'm not trying to rag on anyone here but I'm sick of seeing Cam reports or speculating on what the NCAA is or isn't doing.  The updyke world loves reading our Cam threads and seeing our angst. They derive some sort of persverse pleasure by thinking the constant Cam stories makes us squirm. Lets give them a little less info. , a few less Cam threads and enjoy the coming season. Cam is gone and what will be will be. If we're guilty it will come out, if we're innocent that too will come out.

Makes no sense to me.  Detailed comments about the UM investigation, but nothing about Cam because "we don't talk about investigations?" Did I miss something here.

:-X :-X :-X  Bingo !

Mark Emertt comments on what he wants to comment on - IMO, he has allowed the media to dictate his position on  too many issues.  He just should have said "no comment" everytime he was asked a question about any program. 

He's vague in his public comments which gives the public way too much room for speculation.  He's the most "public" NCAA president I've seen.  Holding his mock trail with freaking media members & journalists was a joke.  Having his slap-shot meeting recently with 50 college presidents to lay down the law?  For what?  The NCAA has no teeth, they are inconsistant and dole out punishment that amounts to absolutely nothing to offenders.  That's why big time programs like OSU & Miami get away with rogue boosters flagrantly breaking the rules.  They know they will go untouched by the NCAA.

In my IMO Dan Patrick was hoping to put an end to the Cam Newton Saga and attempted to get a definitive answer.  Emmert responded how he has to because some part of the investigation is still not closed.  This simple fact does not mean that it is about Auburn but could be more tied to Rogers and MSU however it is the NCAA position to not comment.  He also refused to comment on Miami and it's current situation.  I disagree that there were detailed comments just the obvious was spoken.  I am not worried about the Cam situation at all.  Unfortunately because he played for Auburn we will somehow always be connected and DA's like Danny Sheridan will continue to run our name through the mud to deflect things happening at their alma mater..... :dunno: :dunno:

In my IMO Dan Patrick was hoping to put an end to the Cam Newton Saga and attempted to get a definitive answer.  Emmert responded how he has to because some part of the investigation is still not closed.  This simple fact does not mean that it is about Auburn but could be more tied to Rogers and MSU however it is the NCAA position to not comment.  He also refused to comment on Miami and it's current situation.  I disagree that there were detailed comments just the obvious was spoken.   I am not worried about the Cam situation at all.  Unfortunately because he played for Auburn we will somehow always be connected and DA's like Danny Sheridan will continue to run our name through the mud to deflect things happening at their alma mater..... :dunno: :dunno:

I watched the interview live and you are 100% correct. I was hoping Emmert would say the Cam thing was over, but he didn't. In all honesty, during the entire interview he sounded like a lawyer talking to the press. He gave no substantial information on anything involving any specifice school. DP tried his best to get Emmert to say something of substance, but it just didn't happen. Not one time was Auburn mentioned, either during the interview or as he was hyping it up before the actual interview with Emmert.

This is real simple, the NCAA will not say it is closed because they are looking at 3 other SEC schools. Consider this a 4 part investigation and they are done with the AU part. Why do I say this because they commented on it saying that they found no wrong doing with AU and their recruitment of Cam. The NCAA will not comment on open investigations they commented their findings on AU and are now moving on to the other 3 schools that fall under the Cam case. People assume that Cam=Auburn and that is not the case here.

The NCAA could end this all today and say the AU/Cam case is closed but that will not happen for 2 reasons.

1) Because the NCAA's first priority is to cover their butts and will never say when a case is closed. I don't think the NCAA has ever said a case was closed other than commenting on findings or ruling on a punishment.

2) Because what I said before the case it still open because of pending issues with 3 other schools.

Here is the crazy logic of the NCAA, they will not comment on open cases but when they do comment the cases are still open but no longer investigating but remain open for new information pending until it falls under their 4 year statute of limitations, However the NCAA says this 4 year statute of limitations can be overlooked if their is pattern of willful violations that continues into the past four years. SO what this means is that they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

So the NCAA will never say the cam case is closed but by a NCAA rule the case will be closed in 4 years pending there are no patterns of willful violations. So we will have to ask the NCAA in 2015 again if the Cam case is still open and they will probably say yes....

The only thing that matters is that we have not received a letter from the NCAA and that is what counts.

Sorry for the long rant,

I think he is Saban's butt buddy and wants to hurt Auburn recruiting in an effort to help Saban. That's just me though. Granted, looking at our classes you can tell it isn't working very well.

Agreed.  Anyone who doesn't see the connection between dragging the AU 'investigation' out as long as possible and the friendship between Emmert and Saban, has their head in the sand.

Combine this with NO coverage of TTMW and Bammer and I think we know the means to the end.

I think he is Saban's butt buddy and wants to hurt Auburn recruiting in an effort to help Saban. That's just me though. Granted, looking at our classes you can tell it isn't working very well.

Sounds a bit paranoid to me.

Agreed.  Anyone who doesn't see the connection between dragging the AU 'investigation' out as long as possible and the friendship between Emmert and Saban, has their head in the sand.

Combine this with NO coverage of TTMW and Bammer and I think we know the means to the end.

This could be true - another way to look at it is that by dragging the AU investigation out, it takes the red, hot spotlight of the NCAA off the LSU/Willie Lyles mess.  I bet the LSU fans are happy as they can be that the their old  buddy Emmert & his NCAA posse are on the Plains instead of in the Bayou.  They don't want anybody snooping into other "housing" issues and they sure don't want anybody digging around in Patrick Peterson's old closet looking for  skeletons.  Just a thought.

Archived