For those who want the 3-4 D

WarDamn2010

Very nice.....the only thing we seem to be missing is the BIG NASTY NT / DT that can occupy and grab more double teams......

Agreed. However, next year Angelo Blackson will be that guy. He's already at 325 and is our biggest defensive player as a TRUE freshman! Next year is looking brighter and brighter for our D.

Agreed. However, next year Angelo Blackson will be that guy. He's already at 325 and is our biggest defensive player as a TRUE freshman! Next year is looking brighter and brighter for our D.

My thoughts exactly. I'm VERY excited about the future of our defense.

I'm excited to see the day where we are able to run some multiple looks and be dominant in each one of them. Little 4-3, little 3-4, some bear, along with some nickle and dime packages.

Can we get 3 consistent starters at LB before we start worrying about deploying 4 at a time, please?  Right now, our only pass rush is from the 4-3 DEs, and I'm not sure if they could transition to the 3-4 seamlessly.  Take the current defense and take away any semblance of a pass rush...the idea is not appealing to me.

My personal favorite is the 1-1-9.... ;D

we need playmaking LB's who are difference makers, and thats all there is to it. Whether they are already on the roster or not, that is the question. Think about it, who was the last GREAT linebacker we had??? Dansby???

Why can't we bring back the good 'ole 5-2?

That would work well against a speard offense:laugh:

:dunno:

:laugh:

I'm all for "spearing" the "D' when we are on offense.  Not sure that won't be 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct though. :D

Last year against LSU, Tennessee ran the famous 4-4-5....

Pretty good scheme too, there was just one flaw. They should have taken Les Miles' idea and ran with it. Instead of putting extra visible players out there, he should have put two invisible guys that no one could see and didn't count. (one to blitz and one to play spy/rover, obviously)

Well, depends really. I meant guys, but I'm not a huge Roof fan. However, I do understand he has not had the best scenario to work with. Next year should be the year that tells the tale for him in my opinion.

Pretty good scheme too, there was just one flaw. They should have taken Les Miles' idea and ran with it. Instead of putting extra visible players out there, he should have put two invisible guys that no one could see and didn't count. (one to blitz and one to play spy/rover, obviously)

I've been screaming this for the past year on the recruiting board. We should recruit more LB's, ATH's, and NJ's (ninjas)... :P

i dont believe any defense is better than the other. It is all about having the right palyers for the scheme and executing. There have been many great defenses over the years using all kinds of different schemes and with the right coaching and personnel they all work. Didnt JOe Pa even run a defense with only 3 dbs at one point early in his career?

Why can't we bring back the good 'ole 5-2?

That would work well against a speard offense:laugh:

:dunno:

:laugh:

It's new, it hasn't swept college football yet like the SPREAD offense has  :laugh::rolleyes:

I recall we tried to run the 4-4-4 against LSU this season.  Not as impressive as a 4-4-5, but still.

I recall we tried to run the 4-4-4 against LSU this season.  Not as impressive as a 4-4-5, but still.

I remember that. Due to his play choice, 5 new "Fire Ted Roof" threads were established...

i dont believe any defense is better than the other. It is all about having the right palyers for the scheme and executing. There have been many great defenses over the years using all kinds of different schemes and with the right coaching and personnel they all work. Didnt JOe Pa even run a defense with only 3 dbs at one point early in his career?

BAMMM!!!! Exactly. It's more about the execution than the formation.

we need playmaking LB's who are difference makers, and thats all there is to it. Whether they are already on the roster or not, that is the question. Think about it, who was the last GREAT linebacker we had??? Dansby???

...I would say that Josh Bynes was pretty great...

Archived