Friday Night

DANSBY

How bout someone familiar with the situation give us a breakdown of Fri night's opponent????

Seton hall is playing good ball, they have only lost once and that was to a scrappy northwestern team who IS undefeated. We will have our hands full but the game is winnable. HUGE TEST.

they have a very solid guard, who has been voted big east player of the week already this season.  if we control him, we have a great shot.

edit: i take that back, they have a couple of other solid guys.  hopefully we have a deeper bench and run, run, run them.  i will guess this will be the biggest crowd they play in front of.  hope that doesnt affect them.

They have two outstanding players, one at the point and one at pf/c.  They only play 6 guys for any substantial time.  The only category they are better than us at is free throw shooting, which could end up deciding this game.  The have struggled to beat a couple of pretty week teams, but did beat a decent St. Johns and VCU.  However, VCU is no where near the team that went to the tourney last season.  We also have a decided size advantage, and should have more overall talent.  However, the point guard power forward combo is very good, and those guys will not be easily contained.  We don't want to trade baskets with this team in the half court, we want to pressure and get out and run.

The team that controls the style of the game should win.  I believe we have the players to go up there and win, its a matter of how a new team reacts on the road. War Eagle.

Also, let me say that if we want to go to the tourney this season, this is basically a must win game.  It is our biggest non-conference game, on the road on national tv.  Need this win.

They have two outstanding players, one at the point and one at pf/c.  They only play 6 guys for any substantial time.  The only category they are better than us at is free throw shooting, which could end up deciding this game.  The have struggled to beat a couple of pretty week teams, but did beat a decent St. Johns and VCU.  However, VCU is no where near the team that went to the tourney last season.  We also have a decided size advantage, and should have more overall talent.  However, the point guard power forward combo is very good, and those guys will not be easily contained.  We don't want to trade baskets with this team in the half court, we want to pressure and get out and run.

The team that controls the style of the game should win.  I believe we have the players to go up there and win, its a matter of how a new team reacts on the road. War Eagle.

Been a long time since I heard that we have a decided size advantage. That along with our depth advantage should give us a good chance to win. That is the plus side. The minus side is they have senior leadership, good ft shooting, and are playing at home. I think our pluses outweigh theirs.

They have 2 advantages in this game. They are playing at home and they have Herbert Pope. Pope is a little better version of Jaymichael Green. He is 6'8 240 lbs and averages around 21 pts and 12 reb a game. They are a poor outside shooting team so far and lack depth. I imagine we will try to make it an up and down game to get to their legs later in the game and use a lot of zone on defense to limit Pope's touches.  If Chubb can keep him off the offensive boards I think we will pull out the win.

Here is a little from CBS about the game I found on another board.

From CBS' John Rothstein:

AUBURN AT SETON HALL

Why To Watch: Both of these teams are mysteries. The Pirates are riding the best stretch of basketball Herb Pope has played in two years but have little support to put around he, Jordan Theodore, and Fuquan Edwin. Meanwhile, Tony Barbee is in the process of trying to make the Tigers into a respectable program and counting on two transfers Varez Ward (Texas) and Noel Johnson (Clemson, eligible second semester) to lead them there.

Don’t Be Surprised If: Auburn ups the pace to magnify Seton Hall’s lack of depth.

Likely Result: The combination of Ward and Frankie Sullivan in the back court lead the Tigers to a solid road victory.

this is as excited as i have been to see a basketball game (at least that i have not attended) in ... i cant remember when.  So therefore i will go ahead and apologize to my AE friends ... you see, i may be the single worst luck of any person on the planet and my enthusiasm for this game has doomed our players and fans.  again, i am sorry!

Also, Forbes will being coming back from his injury tonight, so add one more guy to the bench and likely playing rotation for us.

Seton Hall opened as a 9 point favorite for what that's worth.  I will be taking the Tigers on the moneyline to win straight up. 

Not that anybody reads this board, seeing has there hasn't been a single post since 9:30am, but an interesting storyline for tonight's game is that Barbee is a Calapari disciple and Seton Hall's Coach Willard is a Petino disciple.  There apparently is no love lost between these two coaching circles, just fyi.

Not that anybody reads this board, seeing has there hasn't been a single post since 9:30am, but an interesting storyline for tonight's game is that Barbee is a Calapari disciple and Seton Hall's Coach Willard is a Petino disciple.  There apparently is no love lost between these two coaching circles, just fyi.

That is interesting.  Could add some salt to the game tonight!  I'll  be watching!

This was a pathetic performance. I had hoped this team would be much improved over previous years, but they are not. The program should be scrapped and we should look into Lacrosse.

Archived