Hawaii-Diamond Head Classic

JwgreDeux

We are going to get a look at what kind of team we really have this week.  There are some pretty decent teams in the field, and we have a nice draw which may allow us to reach the championship game.  Our first opponent will be Hawaii, who we should beat.  However, they will be on their home turf and well rested, while we will be coming off a long trip.  If we win that game we will likely play Long Beach State.  I know their opponent is Xavier, but Xavier has some of their best players suspended and will likely lose that game.  Either way, if we beat Hawaii, we should also beat LBS or X and advance to the final, where we would likely see Kansas State.  They have put together a nice season so far, but are not unbeatable.  If they slip up who knows who would be in that game.

Bottom line, we have a chance to make some noise this week and try and get on some people's post season radars. We are going to play 3 games, less than two wins will be disappointing.

War Eagle!

K State donkey punched the Tide a few nights ago.  I would like to see how our squad would look against them.  Stinks Xavier has players suspended, I want to see AU beat these guys at full strength.

Big trip for our guys. I think this is a turning point in our season. We are 7-1 and unlike previous years we have beaten the teams we are suppose to beat, but a poor performance in this tournament could be disastrous for us. After every game Coach Barbee still isn't happy with the performance and that has got to change. I hope with the addition of Noel Johnson he can bring something extra to the table but for me it all depends on how well Chubb and KG play. Chubb has to be a go to guy in the paint for both points and rebounds in order for us to be successful.

Big trip for our guys. I think this is a turning point in our season. We are 7-1 and unlike previous years we have beaten the teams we are suppose to beat, but a poor performance in this tournament could be disastrous for us. After every game Coach Barbee still isn't happy with the performance and that has got to change. I hope with the addition of Noel Johnson he can bring something extra to the table but for me it all depends on how well Chubb and KG play. Chubb has to be a go to guy in the paint for both points and rebounds in order for us to be successful.

I agree that we need Chubb to play well on defense and to rebound, but our offense (like most college teams) hinges on our guard play.  The guards have to get the team into the offense, direct traffic, create opportunities for KG, Chubb, and others.  Against Seaton Hall, our guards did not play well, turnovers killed us.  That is where I hope to see improvement during this tourney.

i think Varez Ward is the x factor. he played awful against seton hall thus we got beat by 25 pts. he played awful again last night and we beat a team by 8, when we shouldve beaten them by 3o. so varez has to show up big time in the tournament. if we beat hawaii, i like our chances of winning at least 2 games.  :wedance:

between the seton hall game and the game last night, our back court guys are having trouble with the ball when they get pressured some.  other teams, particularly sec, will really hone in on this and get full throttle after our guards.  if they step up and withstand it, then we will be successful.  

hopefully our depth (we will play 11-12 guys if noel and neysmith see the floor???).  that could be very helpful against some of the other teams making the long flight.

I dont think Varez is lacking confidence, i think he is very hard-headed though. i have watched him over the last few games and it seems like he thinks he is too good to listen to the coaches, but i may be wrong. i like wallace's quickness, but i think he takes a dimension away from our offense since he is not a very good shooter. we need to come out mean and tough against hawaii though.  :devil:

Xavier's key players will be back by game 2 of the tournament. They may have 1 guy still suspended, but they should be almost full strength.

I think you are correct about when their guys will be back, but I don't think they get past LBS without them.  So, if we beat Hawaii we wouldn't see X during the tourney.

Xavier's key players will be back by game 2 of the tournament. They may have 1 guy still suspended, but they should be almost full strength.

I think you are correct about when their guys will be back, but I don't think they get past LBS without them.  So, if we beat Hawaii we wouldn't see X during the tourney.

whoever plays X once they go full strength will be playing against some players with something to prove.  their energy will be out of the roof, but they may have a touch of rust.

whoever plays X once they go full strength will be playing against some players with something to prove.  their energy will be out of the roof, but they may have a touch of rust.

im preety sure Xavier's first game after the fight they lost to old dominion

I dont think Varez is lacking confidence, i think he is very hard-headed though. i have watched him over the last few games and it seems like he thinks he is too good to listen to the coaches, but i may be wrong. i like wallace's quickness, but i think he takes a dimension away from our offense since he is not a very good shooter. we need to come out mean and tough against hawaii though.  :devil:

V is good and he listens.  Just remember, he is still knocking rust off.  Until this season, he hadn't played a game in 2 years.  He'll be a very very good one. 

V is good and he listens.  Just remember, he is still knocking rust off.  Until this season, he hadn't played a game in 2 years.  He'll be a very very good one. 

this^^^

a poor performance in this tournament could be disastrous for us.

Couldn't disagree more.  This will be the second game after some of the guys have become eligible and it's virtually an entire new team.    We get enough irrational expectations regarding our freshman laden football team.  Please don't start writing off our basketball season after a handful of games.  Barbee is having to rebuild the entire program and it's going to take awhile.

:we:

a poor performance in this tournament could be disastrous for us.

Couldn't disagree more.  This will be the second game after some of the guys have become eligible and it's virtually an entire new team.     We get enough irrational expectations regarding our freshman laden football team.  Please don't start writing off our basketball season after a handful of games.   Barbee is having to rebuild the entire program and it's going to take awhile.

:we:

If we are going to make any of the post season tournaments, a good showing here is a must.  It starts tonight with a game against a team we should beat.  We can't afford to loose to teams we should beat if we want to get to the post season.  With the SEC looking like a 4-5 bid league instead of a 5-6 bid league, this tourney is even more important for our post season resume.

tourney preview from ESPN, sounds about right.  They expect Xavior and K.State to be the favorites, and don't give us much credit yet due to our schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/42651/tourney-preview-diamond-head-classic

interesting point they make is that a loss to Xavior will likely help our RPI, (probably more than a win over LBS).

some good info on all the teams. 

I would like to see us play Xavier and K State.  Some real tests could go a long way with our guys.  SEC schedule should be pretty tough and we need to be ready for it. 

tourney preview from ESPN, sounds about right.  They expect Xavior and K.State to be the favorites, and don't give us much credit yet due to our schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/42651/tourney-preview-diamond-head-classic

interesting point they make is that a loss to Xavior will likely help our RPI, (probably more than a win over LBS).

some good info on all the teams. 

The part about Xavier is very interesting and considering their past history of putting very good teams on the court I do not doubt it, although KSU had a few pretty good ones as well......

Side Note: --UTEP vs Clemson (the first game of the tourney) looks pretty pathetic offensively for both teams so far..

UTEP 11 - Clemson 7 w/ 9 minutes left in the 1st half.. Lets hope Auburn doesn't look like this tonight!  :wareagle:

Archived