AU vs Hawaii and Postgame

llthejoker

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the final 8 seconds:

Ward turned a terrible night into a game saving assist.

Chubb redeemed himself by finishing the slam.

Denson salvaged his night by getting the steal and sinking both free throws.

I won't call it a great win And I'm sure Barbee isn't too pleased but it was entertaining basketball. I'm happy with that win.

This team is not a full strength so that gives us some hope.  We have some play makers, we are a lot more talented than last year that's for sure. When we get to full strength that will help our depth and hopefully we won't look sluggish down the stretch of games.  Just looking at this game (Hawaii) Ward looked very sloppy and at times flat out lazy with the ball.  A lot of times we look content to just pass the ball around the perimeter and wait for someone else to make a play.  On the inside, we have some depth but only one real scoring threat is Chubb (though he is hit or miss).  Overall, I think this team is only going to get better as the season goes.  The main thing I didn't see tonight was consistency.  One possession Chubb will make a great post move or get an offensive put-back and the next possession he will throw up a wild air ball.  He is just one example but Ward, Gabriel, and alot of guys have alot of talent but still lack consistent play at times. The good thing is we are winning games and still playing pretty flat. From a talent standpoint, IMO, we should have beat Hawaii by 20. If this team can get all the pieces of the puzzle and play a little more consistently I think we have the talent to sneak into the tourney or least make the NIT.

I just watched it.  I saw some very good things that bode well for the future.  But we don't do the good things consistently.  There were also some bad, luckily we aren't consistent with them either.  I'll take the win, but the conference schedule will be tough if we don't get better.  Congrats to Coach Barbee and the team.  Now let's take it to a tough Long Beach State team.  WAR EAGLE GUYS!!!

A good win....and the guys were playing at about 2AM which even for a bunch of young guys probably affects the energy level.  Nice to get that first win and move along.

:we:

Archived