Auburn vs Long Beach State

Jonesy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, pump the brakes on the "embarrassing" and "terrible" remarks. Yes, it's frustrating as crap to watch this team do nothing on offense and put basically just one scorer on the floor. But let's remember that CTB inherited one of the worst bball programs in the country a year ago and one of the WORST teams to step on a bball court last season. Barbee is already showing his recruiting prowess, bringing in two top 100 players this year in Kouassi and McAfee and two top 100 players for next year in Shaq Johnson and Jordan Price. Again, he's getting these kids to come play bball at AUBURN.

Yes, we're going to struggle again this season, but we will also be better than last year. Barbee is getting the transfers and upgrading the talent here. I know as fans one of the hardest things to do is to keep waiting for something positive out of this bball program after we've been downright awful for the last 6-7 years, but we HAVE to be patient. Barbee is a dang good coach, and he will get this thing turned around. But he can't do it tomorrow.

We knew we'd probably lose this game handily tonight, so I don't know why some of you are going hysterical over it. We're not going to beat many of the better teams we play this year, but I think we can be competitive as we continue to get experience against better competition. And under Barbee, we will continue to see improvement every single year.

It's frustrating to continue to wait for this team to come around, but let's remember what Barbee inherited and where we are now. I'm not going to freak out over this one loss, and neither should any of you.  :wareagle:

That was a bad game but we're two years into a new system with young players and a great coach.

Cool it, folks. It's only frustrating because they've exceeded expectations and we know they can play better. I view that as a good thing for where we're at.

I realize that I am ah homer, but the refs in both games in Hawaii, have all but tried to foul our big men out.  I was terribly upset when LBS were called for only their 2nd foul with 4:26 left in the game.  We can't beat any team if we have to fight the refs too!!! 

Come on guys, we aren't nearly as bad as we played last night.  We have alot of talent.  The reasons as I saw it, in no particular order:

*We had two players, Neysmith and Johnson, who saw their first action of the season last night. 

*That was our second game in 19-1/2 hours.  I saw some leg fatigue.

*The officials did not help at all.  It seemed that we got every hand check called and LBS could do whatever they wanted with nothing called.  Two fouls in the second half for them??  Aww, come on man!!  Give me a break.

*Gabriel rolling his ankle in the first minute of the game seemed like it took a little wind out of our sails and we never got it back even though he returned before the half, he wasn't 100%

*Chubb got in foul trouble very early. 

*Rebounding on both ends was bad.   6 offensive and 19 defensive rebounds.   

*Shooting from the field was attrocious at 26.3%.  Take away Sullivan's points and shots and the rest of the team was 17% from the floor.  Not acceptable.  We only shot 6 free throws.  We were 33.3% from the three point line.  I can accept that.

We are going to be OK.  We are better than last year.   

I realize that I am ah homer, but the refs in both games in Hawaii, have all but tried to foul our big men out.  I was terribly upset when LBS were called for only their 2nd foul with 4:26 left in the game.  We can't beat any team if we have to fight the refs too!!! 

I agree. I wondered if the refs were even going to let Rob Chubb breathe without calling him for something.  >:(

I also think fatigue played a big role in Auburn's play last night. 2 games in less than 24 hours coupled with all the traveling had to take it's toll on those kids.

That was rough to watch. Coach Barbee is a good one i think but he simply doesn't have the horses yet to compete with the big boys. In basketball, pure talent seems to win out more often than not. I present Kentucky to you, their starting 5? 3 Freshman and 2 Sophomores. So much for requiring team chemistry and experience. Barbee will get the talent required imo.

Would have been somewhat nice if players would have crawled out of bed to play this game..... Felt sorry for Frankie Sullivan. This was as poor a performance by a college level basketball team that I've seen over the years. Tony Barbee has MUCH work to do..... I truly cannot believe that we cannot find high school players (even in this state) that are better than this group. Heck, my son could whip any of them in a game of horse, and would provide better ball control skills. i am pulling for you Coach Barbee....please find some REAL players!!

Would have been somewhat nice if players would have crawled out of bed to play this game..... Felt sorry for Frankie Sullivan. This was as poor a performance by a college level basketball team that I've seen over the years. Tony Barbee has MUCH work to do..... I truly cannot believe that we cannot find high school players (even in this state) that are better than this group. Heck, my son could whip any of them in a game of horse, and would provide better ball control skills. i am pulling for you Coach Barbee....please find some REAL players!!

the state of Alabama usually doesnt produce alot of talent to build a good team. you usually have to go west and get them from Georgia.

Folks, pump the brakes on the "embarrassing" and "terrible" remarks. Yes, it's frustrating as crap to watch this team do nothing on offense and put basically just one scorer on the floor. But let's remember that CTB inherited one of the worst bball programs in the country a year ago and one of the WORST teams to step on a bball court last season. Barbee is already showing his recruiting prowess, bringing in two top 100 players this year in Kouassi and McAfee and two top 100 players for next year in Shaq Johnson and Jordan Price. Again, he's getting these kids to come play bball at AUBURN.

Yes, we're going to struggle again this season, but we will also be better than last year. Barbee is getting the transfers and upgrading the talent here. I know as fans one of the hardest things to do is to keep waiting for something positive out of this bball program after we've been downright awful for the last 6-7 years, but we HAVE to be patient. Barbee is a dang good coach, and he will get this thing turned around. But he can't do it tomorrow.

We knew we'd probably lose this game handily tonight, so I don't know why some of you are going hysterical over it. We're not going to beat many of the better teams we play this year, but I think we can be competitive as we continue to get experience against better competition. And under Barbee, we will continue to see improvement every single year.

It's frustrating to continue to wait for this team to come around, but let's remember what Barbee inherited and where we are now. I'm not going to freak out over this one loss, and neither should any of you.  :wareagle:

Very good post!!

I agree with everything you said.  Have patience.  Barbee is working miracles getting some of the recruits he is getting to come to Auburn.  I see nothing but great things in our future with Coach Barbee.

War Eagle!!!

OK GUYS!!  ENOUGH!!  You play two games in 19-1/2 hours and see how well you do.  Yes, we have a ways to go, but not near as far as you guys are making it out to be.  I am not saying you can't post comments about certain areas that need improvement or such.  But, give the negativity about how bad this team is a rest. 

Thank you. 

WAR EAGLE!!

Difficult to assess this game.. Though it's easy to find negative aspects within our loss last night, especialyl offensively, I did see fight in our tigers! Hopefully the team will get some good rest today, and be ready to go again tomorrow on CHRISTMAS DAY! <---- (really excited about that!!). If we can defeat UTEP, that will look good on a potential tournament resume in the the future!! WDE

OK GUYS!!  ENOUGH!!  You play two games in 19-1/2 hours and see how well you do.  Yes, we have a ways to go, but not near as far as you guys are making it out to be.  I am not saying you can't post comments about certain areas that need improvement or such.  But, give the negativity about how bad this team is a rest. 

Thank you. 

WAR EAGLE!!

Amen!  :bow:

the state of Alabama usually doesnt produce alot of talent to build a good team. you usually have to go west and get them from Georgia.

compass-east.gif

We played very bad but give LBSU some credit, they're a good team and have the toughest schedule in the country. They beat Pitt and Xavier, and almost beat UNC, Kansas, and gave Louisville trouble.

compass-east.gif

sorry had a brain fart on that one :laugh::-[

Archived