Does the spread deter top OL?

rollingtoomers

What I’m about to say is no surprise to most of you. ..Folks, I'm looking at our depth chart at OT for next year and it is scary.  We have two...count them… two returning OTs (Robinson & Slade), and one has no game exp.  We are also resting our hopes at one of the OT spots on a JUCO that won’t be in until fall.  He has an enormous task in front him if he is to be a start for us because in just a short amount of time he will need to learn the system, gel with the other OLs, and be ready for SEC defenses.  Therefore, with this obvious need for top OT, I’m befuddled as to why not more O lineman are not jumping at the chance to come play here.  I'm sure the coaches are screaming from the mountain tops, "LOOK AT WHAT WE GOT...AT OUR TACKLE SPOTS YOU WOULD BE SECOND TEAM FROM DAY ONE, AND IF CAN BEAT OUT A RSFr WHICH HAS NO GAME EXP, A JUCO THAT ISN’T COMING IN UNTIL FALL, OR IF SOMEONE GETS HURT (WHICH IS LIKELY)...YOU WOULD BE THE MAN!"  I know Grimes is a very well respected OL coach and regarded as one of the best in the country, which further adds to the confusion.  Therefore, I’m sitting here thinking that the only reason we are having a hard time attracting top OL to come here is that they don’t think a spread offense will prepare them for the NFL.  I think I remember an OL recruit saying something like that last year.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think the spread is causing them to shy away?  We are getting in a bind fast if we keep losing ground on OTs because as of this year, we have struck out on the two recruits to LSU, the Missouri guy, the Washington guy, and have a long ways to go to get Avery Young and A. Armstead.  What top OT do we go after if they decided to go elsewhere?  :banghead:

to Answer the question in your title no it does not deter OTs. We have had the #1 O Line recruiting claas in the nation the last 2 seasons. We just had a couple of unfortunate things happen at OT, Shon Coleman's cancer and Rozelle Gayden got home sick and went home.

to Answer the question in your title no it does not deter OTs. We have had the #1 O Line recruiting claas in the nation the last 2 seasons. We just had a couple of unfortunate things happen at OT, Shon Coleman's cancer and Rozelle Gayden got home sick and went home.

This^^^

Wait and see what happens between now and signing day also.  ;)

Plus Aubrey Phillips & Christian's carreer-ending injuries. Need to remember that OT Jermaine johnson woulda been a SR in 2011- So, to insure a decent OT for 2012 do you add a juco OT when slots are so limited?

Yall are just reaffirming why we have depth issues.  I know what has caused use to be down in numbers, but what are we doing to fix it?  It seems like we are not getting our top targets even with the obvisous need, learning under a great coach, and chance for early playing time.  Why is it this year we are having a hard time?

Yall are just reaffirming why we have depth issues.  I know what has caused use to be down in numbers, but what are we doing to fix it?  It seems like we are not getting our top targets even with the obvisous need, learning under a great coach, and chance for early playing time.  Why is it this year we are having a hard time?

I wouldn't necessarily say that we are having a "hard time".  However, having Robinson and Westerman as redshirts with 4 years remaining, and Dismukes as a true freshman who started all season, combined with Mack and Slade from the 2010 recruiting class probably intimidates potential recruits who seek early playing time.  Don't you think opposing teams' recruiters are showing the youth on our depth chart to potential recruits?

I think we'll have another good OL class this year.  You have to realize, though, that it will take some time to get over the depth problem at OL that this staff inherited.  No offensive linemen from the 2008 class (CTT's last class) actually qualified for enrollment, and there were only 3 offensive linemen that signed in the 2009 class (Chizik's first class) because the new staff had a late start recruiting.  Sullen is the only 2009 OL signee still on the team.  Basically, what we have left are Sullen plus the 2010 and 2011 signees, plus a few walk-ons.  The 2012 class should help remedy some of the depth issues.

We've got spots still left to fill on the '12 class.  NSD is a month away, plenty of time to get some 5* OL talent to sign with AU.

I wouldn't necessarily say that we are having a "hard time".  However, having Robinson and Westerman as redshirts with 4 years remaining, and Dismukes as a true freshman who started all season, combined with Mack and Slade from the 2010 recruiting class probably intimidates potential recruits who seek early playing time.  Don't you think opposing teams' recruiters are showing the youth on our depth chart to potential recruits?

I think we'll have another good OL class this year.  You have to realize, though, that it will take some time to get over the depth problem at OL that this staff inherited.  No offensive linemen from the 2008 class (CTT's last class) actually qualified for enrollment, and there were only 3 offensive linemen that signed in the 2009 class (Chizik's first class) because the new staff had a late start recruiting.  Sullen is the only 2009 OL signee still on the team.  Basically, what we have left are Sullen plus the 2010 and 2011 signees, plus a few walk-ons.  The 2012 class should help remedy some of the depth issues.

Solid^^^

You cant have a top rate OL class every year. It just isnt possible. We have done an amazing recruiting job the past 2 years and there are lot of young guys with lots of potential for long term playing time. We will still have a good, solid class but to expect to keep getting the best OL class in the country every year isnt reasonable.

Archived