Jimmy Carter = Village Idiot

MDM4AU

10/19/2004: Carter: The Revolutionary War Was "Unnecessary"

It’s a pity that, as a past winner, Jimmy Carter can’t be in the running for this year’s Idiotarian of the Year award—because this mind-bending interview with Chris Matthews would make him a shoo-in: ‘Hardball with Chris Matthews’ for Oct. 18. (Hat tip: johnCV.)

MATTHEWS: Let me ask you the question about—this is going to cause some trouble with people—but as an historian now and studying the Revolutionary War as it was fought out in the South in those last years of the War, insurgency against a powerful British force, do you see any parallels between the fighting that we did on our side and the fighting that is going on in Iraq today?

CARTER: Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we’ve fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war.

Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial’s really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way.

The real problem was that Washington had no plan to win the peace. (Jimmah’s been spending way too much time at the Burger King with Michael Moore.)

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?en...he_Revolutionar

Independence is not GIVEN to a country as loaded in raw materials as the US was. Canada, Australia, and India were not prosperous adventures. The US was. I think Carter is starting to believe all the good things people have said about his character in the past. And now we seems to be having a touch of demensia. The US would never have been given independence in a non-violent way. He is dreaming.....AGAIN! Why doesn't he go to Iraq and work out a peace agreement with the terrorists? He's getting to be about as bad as Jesse Jackson.

This is just PART of the reason no one needs to listen to the Idiot from Plains. Jimmy, I respect you as a Christian Man, but after serving under you as an enlisted man, I will never show you any respect as an ex-President.

He's right. If the British had been willing to listen to colonial complaints the revolution would've been unnecessary, just like he said. That's completely obvious. I guess y'all want to rant even when there's nothing to rant about.

He's right. If the British had been willing to listen to colonial complaints the revolution would've been unnecessary, just like he said. That's completely obvious. I guess y'all want to rant even when there's nothing to rant about.

113332[/snapback]

If ifs and buts were nuts and candy we'd all have a merry christmas. Every freaking war is unneccessary if people would just do like they "should" :rolleyes: .

Jimmy carters opinion is worthless unless your talking about building homes for the poor.

113332[/snapback]

If ifs and buts were nuts and candy we'd all have a merry christmas. Every freaking war is unneccessary if people would just do like they "should" :rolleyes: .

Jimmy carters opinion is worthless unless your talking about building homes for the poor.

113361[/snapback]

Oh, I get it. You can't even acknowledge the obvious truth without sneering. Talk about pathetic partisanship. You want to take potshots and pick political fights with a fellow American even as you admit he's right? Could there be a more perfect example of what's wrong with American political culture?

113332[/snapback]

No, he's not right. I'll confine my replies to what Jimmy actually said:

CARTER: Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we’ve fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war.  Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial’s really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way.

(1) The Revolutionary War wasn't even close to being the most bloody war we've fought. That comment right there should disqualify his credentials about being an historian. I find it hard to comprehend a former military man (and a Southern one at that -- from the state of Georgia, no less) being so ignorant of the most destructive & bloodiest war in US history. That would be the Civil War with an unknown number of total casualties, and the known dead numbering over 600,000. Un-freakin'-believable. Link

(2) Sure. The Revolutionary War could have been avoided. (Carter is not the first person to say this, btw.) But for how long could a war have been avoided? Eventually, the American peoples' desire to run their own affairs and the Crown's insistence on holding dominion over their colonies would have come to a head again. I happen to think the war was inevitable. Irresistable force meets immovable object & stuff. The Americans had bigger plans than simply gaining a seat or two in Parliament.

(3) The necessity of the war? The war led to signing the Declaration of Independence, to forming our country and ultimately, to producing the US Constitution. Can you envision these events happening on their own in a vacuum without the backdrop of the revolution which took place? I cannot.

(4) The British Parliament was dominated by ... Britons. How naive do you have to be to think that an Imperial governmental body is going to be "sensitive" to colonialists' concerns? If anything they might throw them a bone in hopes of keeping them quiet, but under no circumstances is an Imperial power going to voluntarily give up power to one of their colonies while still holding other colonies. To do so would mean they wouldn't be an Imperial power for much longer.

Archived