NCAA Swim Meet

dave69

Auburn senior Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace set a new pool record in the 50 freestyle to highlight the first day of preliminaries at the 2012 NCAA Women's Swimming & Diving Championships.

Vanderpool-Wallace's time of 21.46 was one of four swims to eclipse the existing James E. Martin Aquatics Center mark of 21.83, which had stood since the 2003 NCAA Championships. Hers, however, was the fastest, earning the Nassau, Bahamas, native the top seed in the championship final tonight.

She will be joined in the finals by junior Hannah Riordan, who posted a personal-best 22.38 to finish 16th overall and earn a spot in the consolation final, making her an individual All-American for the first time.

All of the other Auburn entries in the 50 freestyle prelims posted personal-best times. Sophomore Emily Bos missed the consolation final by .06 seconds as she finished second in her heat with a 22.44. Fellow sophomore Olivia Scott won her heat with a 22.58, and sophomore Haley Krakoski and freshman Megan Fonteno went 1-2 in their heat with times of 22.68 and 22.69, respectively.

Auburn earned one more spot in a championship final in the 1-meter diving preliminaries. Senior Vennie Dantin took second place in the prelim round with a 326.10, securing her fifth All-America certificate. Fellow senior Anna Aguero finished in 20th place with a score of 283.30.

Both Auburn relays got the meet off to a good start, breaking school records in their preliminary swims. The 200 freestyle relay team of Vanderpool-Wallace, Riordan, Krakoski and Bos posted a time of 1:27.86, cutting .29 off the existing record, to earn the fifth qualifying spot for the finals. And the 400 medley relay team of Bos, Lauren Norberg, Scott and Vanderpool Wallace qualified third overall with a time of 3:30.32, dropping more than a second off the existing Auburn record.

Freshman Sarah Peterson turned in an outstanding swim in the 200 individual medley, posting a 1:58.57 - the seventh-fastest time in Auburn history - to win her heat and finish 24th overall. And junior Katie Gardocki got her meet off to a good start with a 4:41.34 in the 500 free, missing a spot in the consolation final by .17 seconds and finishing 17th overall.

Pool records fell in all five preliminaries this morning. California's 200 free relay posted a 1:27.11 to set a new pool record, and the Golden Bears' 400 medley relay went 3:28.14 to break the pool, NCAA and U.S. Open records. Georgia's Shannon Vreeland posted a 4:34.49 in the 500 free to break the aquatic center record by more than three seconds, and Cal's Caitlin Leverenz cut nearly two seconds off the 200 IM record with a 1:53.31.

Finals get underway at 7 p.m. Live results and live video are available through NCAA.com, and fans can follow @AuburnSwimming and the hashtag #NCAASD on Twitter for updates from the pool deck

Wow 4 Pac-12 teams in top 4

Auburn got a pair of third-place finishes in its two individual events on Thursday night and stands in fifth place after day one of the 2012 NCAA Women's Swimming & Diving Championships.

The Tigers have 94 points and are the highest-placing Southeastern Conference team so far, three points ahead of Georgia. Four Pac-12 schools lead the overall standings. California, who won both relays in record time, leads the overall race with 132 points, followed by Stanford and Southern California (both with 118) and Arizona (107).

"On the (team scoring), we're ahead of where we want to be," Auburn head coach Brett Hawke said. "At a meet like this, you always get some points you don't expect, and you always lose some you don't expect. It's just the way it is. I'm pretty happy with where we are right now, in fifth place. We know it's a long meet. There are six sessions; that's just two. We've got a long way to go, and we're going to come back tomorrow and fight in the morning."

Senior diver Vennie Dantin provided the highlight of the night for the Tigers with a third-place finish in the 1-meter final, scoring a school-record total of 337.60. It marked the highest finish by an Auburn women's diver in any NCAA diving event since 2006, and it provided much-needed points to the Tigers' team score.

"One-meter is always such a tough competition," Dantin said. "Most of the girls do similar if not all the same dives. It's just a matter of very few points most of the time. Just to be able to stay consistent is what Jeff has taught us all season. I'm happy with the outcome."

Head diving coach Jeff Shaffer was pleased with the result as well.

"It was a great performance," Shaffer said. "She did an outstanding list in the prelims to put herself in a position to dive in one of the most competitive finals I've witnessed. It came down to the fifth and sixth round with anybody really having a chance to win. I'm so proud of the way she stepped up and competed. It was a personal-best for her on one-meter, and that's the way you want to go out as a senior."

Fellow senior Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace was unable to defend her 2011 NCAA title in the 50 freestyle, taking third place with a time of 21.65. California's Liv Jensen won the title with a 21.48; Vanderpool-Wallace, however, set the Auburn pool record in preliminaries with a 21.46.

"In the quest to try and shave hundredths of seconds off and swim phenomenal times, you try different things," Hawke said of Vanderpool-Wallace's third-place finish. "Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. She's giving it 100 percent out there. I feel like in a way I messed her up a little bit. She's always giving her best effort."

Vanderpool-Wallace still has two individual swims left, the 100 butterfly on Friday and the 100 free - the event in which she owns the NCAA record - on Saturday.

"I'm going to come back in the 100 and swim as fast as I can," Vanderpool-Wallace said. "I'm disappointed, more in myself than losing the race. I went into the race knowing it was my start that I needed to work on, and I still didn't do what I needed to do. So I'm definitely motivated for the 100 freestyle, that race is my baby. I'm not going to lose that."

Junior Hannah Riordan took an 11th-place finish in the 50 free, swimming a personal-best 22.15 in the consolation final for the fifth-fastest time in Auburn history.

Auburn's 200 freestyle relay team started the night off with a fifth-place finish in a school-record time of 1:27.82, as Vanderpool-Wallace, Riordan, Haley Krakoski and Emily Bos cut another .04 off what was already a school record from the morning. Stanford set a new Auburn pool record, winning the title in 1:26.85.

The final race of the night, the 400 medley relay, saw the Auburn team of Bos, Lauren Norberg, Olivia Scott and Vanderpool-Wallace post a time of 3:30.38, just shy of their school-record mark from the morning prelims, to earn another fifth-place finish. California lowered its own NCAA record in the event with a time of 3:28.10.

Day two of the NCAA Championships gets underway at 11 a.m. Friday with prelims; finals begin at 7 p.m. Events include the 200 medley relay, 400 individual medley, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke, 3-meter diving and 800 freestyle relay. Single-session, standing-room-only tickets are available at the James E. Martin Aquatics Center box office. Fans can follow free live video and live stats through NCAA.com, and live updates will be posted throughout the day on Twitter by following @AuburnSwimming and using the hashtag #NCAASD.

Scores tonight thru 7 events: Cal 172, Stanford 144, Arizona 141, USC 140, Auburn 124, TX A&M 117, Tenn. 105, UGA 105, Texas 92, Wisconsin 54.

Archived