Auburn Golf

AU64

Just spent a leisurely day at Bulls Bay (South Carolina) following the AU men's golf team.  Got to be one of the best sports opportunies ever for any golf fan....a nice 80 degree day, a beautiful course, some outstanding college golf talent and the chance cheer for the Tigers ....and talk to coaches, players and family members along the way.  This might be the only college sport that allows spectators to talk with players from all teams during idle moments.  Got to talk football with some Tex A&M guys, the NCAA basketball tournament with one of the Kentucky players as the group waited to tee off on number 10.  Also chatted with an outstanding LSU player that I had seen a couple years ago at the Hootie. 

During the match Coaches Osteen and Clinard came up and introduced themselves and thanked me for coming out to support the team.  Meanwhile, Auburn blew the Hootie competition away today....all golfers breaking par today and the team jumped to a 7 stroke lead over second place Kentucky.

http://www.golfstatresults.com//public/leaderboards/team/static/tdetail3_3184.html#

The Tigers are ranked second nationally and from comments heard at the tournament, they have impressed a lot of people.  The Auburn coaches and players all seem to be classy people. 

Brings back alot of memories for me 64. Can't beat college golf interacting with fans. AU has a great unknown golf program overall with both mens and womens teams. I was at the ladies team tourney in Orlando a few weeks ago to follow them. Just a fantatic group of gals to represent Auburn. Auburn golf in great hands in the future. WE WILL WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE NEAR FUTURE. imo

Finished better at the end of the round with a few birdies. Won it by 9 strokes. Not a really strong field with Texas A&M , Va, and LSU in the top 25 but a win is a win.

Very windy conditions today and a pretty tough course...lightning fast greens.  Though the field was not filled with rated teams, there was good competition amond the individual players for some of the other schools and the AU guys did well ...three of the top four individuals. 

Very true 64...

Dominic Bozzelli and Michael Hebert shooting 80 and 79 both had bad days. I had a feeling wind had a big factor in the scores. Va. shooting 1 under today was a shock but they have 2 really good individual players

There was little margin for error on that course...a number of of blind greens,. several with severe elevation above the fairways, for a coastal course, had huge mounds and changes in elevation....and more sand than Arizona.

There was little margin for error on that course...a number of of blind greens,. several with severe elevation above the fairways, for a coastal course, had huge mounds and changes in elevation....and more sand than Arizona.

I hate those kind of courses always seem like they were doctored up to make as difficut as possible. Fake golf courses is what I call them. Not fun to play at all

Golf......you would enjoy this place ...once.  Not a fake course .....links style design, no depth to the doglegs, etc. etc.  outstanding condition but not a course I would look forward to playing every weekend.  Big issue was the wind and fast conditions.  On the other hand I saw a kid from Kentucky on the 611 par 5 in two and then make his eagle from about 8 feet. 

A good test of golf for some good players.  Would have to check the card to see Bozelli's problems the last day...he was knocking along up to there but then again, most of the holes can really penalize a bad shot.

Sounds like a tough course without the wind. but even then looks are deceving. I play on the Moody AFB course the majority of the time I play. It's a 9 hole course with different tees for the front and back 9 giving you 18 somewhat diffrent holes. It looks extreamly easy, but plays extreamly tough. My dad, who plays every week at least once comes here and struggles on the course. Not sure what makes it tough. It's wide open fairways, only one water hazzard and it's actually not an issue if you hit the ball down the fairway. Sand traps are at a minimum and actually kinda out of the way really. Very Fast greens though.

I'm rambeling. I also play on Kinderlou Golf course in Valdosta GA. It's a Palmer designed course used by the PGA Nationwide tour. It's a horrible course design. but it doesn't play as tough as the Moody AFB course.

Golf......you would enjoy this place ...once.  Not a fake course .....links style design, no depth to the doglegs, etc. etc.  outstanding condition but not a course I would look forward to playing every weekend.  Big issue was the wind and fast conditions.  On the other hand I saw a kid from Kentucky on the 611 par 5 in two and then make his eagle from about 8 feet.   

A good test of golf for some good players.   Would have to check the card to see Bozelli's problems the last day...he was knocking along up to there but then again, most of the holes can really penalize a bad shot.

links style can be deceiving if the wind is down it could play easier. But if the wind is up look out everything changes. 64 were the greens really large and seem like half an acre or small?

Mixture...I did not walk the entire course...had some good viewing sites and saw perhaps 12 or 13 holes/greens.  All had lots of movement, swooping breaks,  though the kids putted lights out on them for the most part but then on another I saw four missed putts over about five or six groups...from the same general location (less than 15 feet) where they did not see the break....looked staight but slight break at the cup.    For the most part, if a player missed the greens they had a tough time getting down in two....and of course several had ponds right up to the front of the greens.  That's where the wind problems affected them I expect.    For example, on 9 and 18, if you came up five yards short of the putting surface, the ball would roll back down the steep front onto the fairway for about 40 yards. 

It's a high class course and in perfect condition. A very private club.

Archived