Good ballgame today

Couple of errors but some nice defensive plays also. Fewer bunt attempts. A nice hit and run. Some straight steals. Much better played game overall than yesterday.

Got much closer than necessary....AU back to their error-prone ways after a couple weeks of mostly heads-up play on offense and defense.   

As noted, not as many bunts....not having to waste an out just to move a runner for one base.....and pretty obvious too that all the base-stealing early in the season is not going to fly against SEC competition.   

I don't think we will see many more games where players walk and then steal their way to second or third.  AU is going to have to advance runners with base hits from here on.....and not give the opponents a couple free outs just to score one run in an inning. 

Yeah everybody's slacking on the game thread.  Kendall tossed 6 strong innings once again, ran into some trouble in the 7th (which was not entirely his fault).

Caleb Bowen has a 3 run HR and Kody Ortman was on base 4 times today so both made a case to get more at-bats.  3 errors for us today, but held on to the lead there at the end.

Big game tomorrow.

I've been to both games this weekend. Today got very nerve wracking at the the end but our offense looked very good today. I like Kody Ortman at DH he is a big guy with power who seems to have good plate discipline. But if he starts to struggle I'm all for giving Jarred Smith a chance at DH I don't think he has played since he was benched at third base early in the season.

Yeah I'd love to see more of Jarred Smith.  I think giving Bryant a rest at DH is a good idea.  He's a great hitter but he's been pressing and being in the lineup has appeared to have a negative impact on his pitching.

Yeah everybody's slacking on the game thread.  Kendall tossed 6 strong innings once again, ran into some trouble in the 7th (which was not entirely his fault).

Caleb Bowen has a 3 run HR and Kody Ortman was on base 4 times today so both made a case to get more at-bats.  3 errors for us today, but held on to the lead there at the end.

Big game tomorrow.

:timeout:

Thanks for that information!

I had a house full of teenaged boys getting ready for their Senior Prom during most of the game. My son had a pre-prom get-together and I didn't get to see all of the earlier innings.

Don't want nit pick but Blake Austin hit the 3 run HR and not Caleb Bowen. As far as the game goes Kendall was solid until the 7th where a lead off walk started the damage. Jay Wade was brought on to pitch and while he managed to get to the ninth he was not sharp at all. He gutted it out but in a close game his stuff today probably would have lost the game but since we were up 7 we stuck with him. Zack Alvord's bat is needed in the lineup but if Smith can play 3B better we might want to explore that option. Alvord is good for 2 errors a game and the deeper we get that has to be fixed.

I'm surprised at Alvord's problems in the field. If I recall, he was one of the highest rated (MLB draft) of anyone that we have actually gotten to campus immediately after HS. 

It does look like the mystique of the "dead" bat is wearing off and some of the kids are trying to hit the ball out again.    Perhaps the big drop-off in HRs and extra base hits last year was part psychological....and maybe an over-reaction by the coaches too.  It's comforting to have several guys on the squad that can turn a game around in one swing.

Yeah I'd love to see more of Jarred Smith.  I think giving Bryant a rest at DH is a good idea.  He's a great hitter but he's been pressing and being in the lineup has appeared to have a negative impact on his pitching.

Yeah I want my closer focusing on pitching not batting.

Thanks for the info guys and gals! We need to find a way to get a W today and win this series.

I know Miss. State has plenty of weapons in their bullpen that Auburn hasn't seen, and that worries me a little. But Stratton is their best, so I like Auburn's chances today.

Koger seems to have nerves of steel, so hopefully he'll be ready to face those 4 batters MSU has at the top of the lineup who seem to do all the damage.

Don't want nit pick but Blake Austin hit the 3 run HR and not Caleb Bowen. As far as the game goes Kendall was solid until the 7th where a lead off walk started the damage. Jay Wade was brought on to pitch and while he managed to get to the ninth he was not sharp at all. He gutted it out but in a close game his stuff today probably would have lost the game but since we were up 7 we stuck with him. Zack Alvord's bat is needed in the lineup but if Smith can play 3B better we might want to explore that option. Alvord is good for 2 errors a game and the deeper we get that has to be fixed.

You're not nit-picking at all.  Bad oversight/typo by me.  Glad you pointed out it was Austin, cause I think that will cause Austin to see more playing time moving forward.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Archived