Tre-Day

PokerJokerAU

Only got 2 carries today, but Mason hit the hole harder than anyone else and averaged 8 yards per carry. I think he is the man to beat between the tackles. Low carries shows me that the coaches know what he can do.

Two different backs with different running styles, but I've been on the Mason bandwagon since last fall and he didn't disappoint me today. Mason hits the hole like a cannonball and runs with authority. Blakely seems to use his vision and balance to get to the second level. Both are extremely talented and you can't go wrong with either one.

For the 1st time in the Chizik era we have some depth at rb.  I expect all four guys will have a role with blakely, mason, and grant shouldering the load inside.

Yeah I think that Tre not getting many carries today just shows that he is the clear starter right now. Same with Frazier not playing the second half actually...

For the 1st time in the Chizik era we have some depth at rb.  I expect all four guys will have a role with blakely, mason, and grant shouldering the load inside.

Don't forget about Jovon Robinson. I don't think he'll redshirt.

Speed = McCalebb, Grant

Power = Mason, Blakely, Robinson

That's some very nice depth.

Yeah I think that Tre not getting many carries today just shows that he is the clear starter right now. Same with Frazier not playing the second half actually...

Totally agree.

Speed = McCalebb, Grant

Jovon and maybe Blakely are the only two I would call a "power" back and calling Blakely that is a stretch. McCalebb is a pure burner. Grant and Mason both have great speed and enough size to run inside.

Speed = McCalebb, Grant

Jovon and maybe Blakely are the only two I would call a "power" back and calling Blakely that is a stretch. McCalebb is a pure burner. Grant and Mason both have great speed and enough size to run inside.

Is it just me or does McCalebb go through stretches where he seems to slip and fall 'a yard or two short' a lot when he is in a situation where he has to either jute-step a defender to try and slip past them or just plow into them and push for another yard or two?  I realize he is small and had season where an injury limited him, but those few yards left on the field here and there can be a big deal if you need three downs to get a first down.  It is hard to see him getting a lot of carries doing that unless he is consistently picking up 10+ yards the other times he carries the ball.

Whatever, the other backs looked impressive toting the ball.  I hope they are doing as well with the rest of the things they need to do- blocking, picking up blitzers, catching the ball, knowing where to be and what to do, etc.

I think Omac has his work cut out for him.  The past two seasons he was the only "speed'" back but this year there are two more (or maybe 3) who have as much speed and more hitting power.     

That speed sweep was a Malzahn play...I wonder where Omac fits into Lefty's offense?  Perhaps doing more slot receiver work and less ball carrying if Mason, Grant and Blakely stay healthy.

Mason,blakley,grant all about the same size and very similiar skill set. I was impressed with tre and blakely didnt see all the scrimmage so not much of grant to go on. I preferwhat we have over what we had last year.

All of the RB's will play this year but Blakley has the talent to become one of the nation's best if he would start working a little harder. Kid can play.

Auburns runningback situation is very similar to LSU's last year IMO, lots of talented backs who evers feeling it in the moment will get the carries.

I think Omac's role is being kept under the sheets for now.

I would imagine the Omac sweep will make an apperance once the season starts.

That speed sweep with Omac has been very effective when the defense is entrenched and is good for 15+ yards time after time until they loosen up the defense.

Mason is the most downhill runner I have seen in awhile at Auburn. He doesn't dance he just runs. I think him and OMac get the bulk of the carries with Grant mixed in. It sounded like after the game Blakely still has to be more consistent before getting many meaningful snaps. I can see him down the road though becoming a key cog in our offense. The good thing is there is good depth this year at that position and it has been awhile since Auburn has had that.

Completely unrelated but after watching some the turds aday game I am gonna be bitter about yeldon for a long time.... he is gonna be a stud....

That and lots of passes out of the backfield. OMac is turning into a good receiver out of the backfield. If he gets open one word, "GONE"!

Mason is the most downhill runner I have seen in awhile at Auburn. He doesn't dance he just runs. I think him and OMac get the bulk of the carries with Grant mixed in. It sounded like after the game Blakely still has to be more consistent before getting many meaningful snaps. I can see him down the road though becoming a key cog in our offense. The good thing is there is good depth this year at that position and it has been awhile since Auburn has had that.

Completely unrelated but after watching some the turds aday game I am gonna be bitter about yeldon for a long time.... he is gonna be a stud....

I would not put too much stock in what was said about Blakely. He showed some moves yesterday that were definitely "CADILLAC STYLE". This guy is quick as a cat!! He is going to cause some defenders to twist their ankles. He has good hands as well. Caught several out of the backfield.

I've said it before and will say it again, this is the most talent (in terms of number) I have seen in an AU backfield, since Caddie Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs.  We are simply STACKED at this position.

JMO but I think it was Cam that made the speed sweep so dangerous two years ago.  No one could take off after Omac until they were sure that Cam no longer had the ball.    Last season, Omac's ypg was down from 8.8 or something to about 5.7 and fewer TDs too.    Gotta have an alternative running threat to make that play dangerous. 

Personally I like Omac more as a pass receiver with a linebacker trying to cover him.    I look at Tre (or Grant or Blakely) as replacements for MD...not sure how they will help Omac.

JMO but I think it was Cam that made the speed sweep so dangerous two years ago.  No one could take off after Omac until they were sure that Cam no longer had the ball.    Last season, Omac's ypg was down from 8.8 or something to about 5.7 and fewer TDs too.    Gotta have an alternative running threat to make that play dangerous. 

Look at the drop off in the O-Line last year.. People truly underestimate OMac's importance. He is not large in size, but he has definitely been one of the more consistent performers.

Also consider that with KF starting (I'm just going to go ahead and treat it like a forgone conclusion), the running threat from the QB will return.

This is correct.  I think you will see plenty of speed sweeps.  OMac will be a weapon in the slot and in the backfield.  He can go 70 yds any play.

This is correct.  I think you will see plenty of speed sweeps.  OMac will be a weapon in the slot and in the backfield.  He can go 70 yds any play.

I think any of our backs can go 70 yards in one play. Omac is straight line fast but has a ton of trouble making cuts without falling down. Remember last year Luper said Mason was just as fast and we all know Grant is a burner. Both of those guys are also MUCH harder to bring down.  I hope I'm wrong but I feel like Omac is going to have to develop into a great pass catcher to see many touches. I'm sure I'll get dogged for saying that but it is my honest opinion.

Omac and Tre were running some pass routes before warm ups if that adds anything. Also when Lefty goes Empty a RB is almost allways split out wide so that will probably be Omac and Tre out there.

Archived