AU vs Vandy Game 3

Now Koger can't find the strike zone. I'm not sure if it's him or if the strike zone has contracted, but he has now walked  2 batters. He's getting behind in the count on every batter. :-X

3-0 Vandy. :banghead:

I would like to know what type improvement JJ expects from Coach P this season. We seem to be going in the wrong direction.

War Eagle !

NC....that's a hard call.  Almost the entire team is new so there is some excuse for problems....except that about half the starters have JC experience so it's not like they are a bunch of recent HS players.  Now it looks like we have lost a couple of the best players and no solid depth.   

Pitching is a real problem....and even if starters do a good job we don't really have a closer.  My idea of a closer is a guy with some "stuff" that can come in and throw a strikes and handcuff the hitter.  Instead, what I usually see is guy trying to entice the hitter with a slider or a well placed 80mph fast ball.  JP has lots of work to do getting the pitching up to SEC level.

Slowly losing faith in JP. He's not the man to get us back among the conference's elite. Throw out whatever excuse you want, but he's in his fourth year. We should be better than this.

The real key seems to be talent assessment and player development....not sure how good JP is at this.  Difference in baseball from other major sports is that all the 5*, 4* and 3* players end up with minor league contracts.....and AU has such limited scholarship aid, they can only bring in a few players with solid credentials.  AU is going for JC players but if they get a good one, the pros will get him after one year.   

And do I recall reading a few years ago that states like Ga, Fla, SC, NC, Tenn and others have lottery with general scholarship money that schools in those states are using to bring baseball players into the schools without having to use their NCAA scholarship allotment?  Might be a reason that Ala and Miss schools have lost ground in their baseball programs.

Maybe JP and JJ need to do some strategizing about how to recruit and develop SEC quality players with the scholarship limits AU has.  Makes no sense to start over every year.

AU64

All good points and I have heard about this before. This is obviously a challenge. That said, I am tired of all the excuses. Hal was able to take us to the WS and we were consistently in the mix. We have a wonderful facility and play in the best conference in the nation. That should interest plenty of quality HCs.

We made a commitment to basketball getting a very nice facility and PAYING to get what we think to be an great hire.  I want to see us go all the way to FIX baseball as well. Given the scholly challenges it is that much more important we get a proven winner. I want to see the Auburn Tigers, not the Coastal Carolina Tigers. It lloks like we are getting what we paid for.

War Eagle !

All good points and I have heard about this before. This is obviously a challenge. That said, I am tired of all the excuses. Hal was able to take us to the WS and we were consistently in the mix. We have a wonderful facility and play in the best conference in the nation. That should interest plenty of quality HCs.

NC-Not making excuses but times have changed since Hal B was in charge.  Seems like there are just a few college baseball coaches that win year in and year out......otherwise, all the schools are up and down...like Vandy which went from a top 5 or 10 team to near the bottom of the SEC in two years....and even USCe has had some hard times this season after winning the NCAA last year....though Tanner has quite a history of success.   

All that said...I agree, it does not seem we pulled out all the stops in making the last coaching hire.    Like Chiz reportedly did, the next guy needs to bring a "plan" to get AU back on top.  Problem is, if we could have ANY college coach out there, I'm not sure who I would select.  :dunno:

1-5 over the last 2 weekends against the worst teams from the West and Eastern divisions. To say that I'm a little upset by that would be an understatement. I don't understand how you beat the teams you aren't suppose to and lose to the teams your suppose to beat. Sounds like Tommy Tuberville to me.

Auburn has faced better pitching the last 2 weekends and still has that black hole in the line-up where runners can't get home. Losing Will Kendall has forced CJP to change the pitching rotation that was working well for him. It all fell apart Sunday. I wondered if the pressure finally got to Koger. He is still so young.

So many little things are going wrong along with the injury to a crucial member of the team. I think CJP will continue to make changes to try and get the mojo back. Creede Simpson is slumping at the plate, but doing better defensively. It seems like one thing gets fixed and something else breaks loose.

I hated to lose but I still love my Auburn Tigers.

Unfortunately this team is showing it doesn't handle adversity all that well. That's twice now we have folded on Sunday. It is vital we win this weekend at home against SC. If we don't then I think chances are slim of us turning it around. Just a very frustrating 2 weekends

Archived