Red vs BlueVue on Kodi and a lot of other misc stuff

AUTiger2012

Lol, why you hatin?

Anyway, I am transferring to Auburn after the upcoming school year for my wildlife degree.

Back on topic.  

Am I TOTALLY off base when I say that I think JJ will not be very likely to start.  My reasoning is this, Kiehl or Clint will start this year, next year, I expect Keil to start until he graduates or goes pro, after him, I believe it will be Zeke.  Now after all that time, we have had years of recruiting, and it has already been stated that we are really after a top QB for next year, I don't think JJ really breaks out as a QB.  I kind of see him as a Kodi Burns type of kid, just my opinion though.

Am I wrong, or what?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, why you hatin?

Anyway, I am transfering to Auburn after the upcoming school year for my wildlife degree.

Back on topic.  

Am I TOTALLY off base when I say that I think JJ will not be very likely to start.  My reasoning is this, Keil or Clint will start this year, next year, I expect Keil to start until he graduates or goes pro, after him, I believe it will be Zeke.  Now after all that time, we have had years of recruiting, and it has already been stated that we are really after a top QB for next year, I don't think JJ really breaks out as a QB.  I kind of see him as a Kodi Burns type of kid, just my opinion though.

Am I wrong, or what?

First off, it's Kiehl, not Kiel.

Now then, it's certainly a possibility, but at the same time, he truly does have all the potential in the world. Kodi Burns might not be a bad comparison; had Burns been given proper QB instruction, I truly believe he could have been great. I'm certainly happy with the way things turned out for both him and Cam, but he was an outstanding passer in high school, he just needed mechanical instruction, which he didn't get too much of being Brandon Cox's backup as a freshman, didn't get any of as Daniel Cobb's backup in Franklin's Nastycar HUNH, and then took one for the team and became a receiver when it became obvious that someone else was going to be the QB, because that's what the team needed from him.

JJ, even if he doesn't win a starting position, will be a valuable backup...and with the talent we're recruiting, we don't need him elsewhere like we did Kodi. So no, I expect him to be QB, I expect him to challenge to start when Kiehl moves on, be that in two years or three (more likely the latter). However, I do expect us to take an elite prospect at QB in 2014, so it's possible that he could take the reins from Kiehl as a redshirt freshman. Time will tell.

Either way, I really like JJ as a QB. He's started proving that he has the potential to be a passer rather than a thrower, and with his size that could be huge.

Didn't Phillip Sims (ex-bammer) win that deal once? Not a big deal if he don't, he has CSL to work with.

Not sure if Simms did or didn't, but he was the #1 rated QB by one or another service. I saw a game of his in HS on BSPNU. I knew immediatley he would have a hard time seeing the field at bama. He was to mobile and to athletic to ever play for them. Not dinky's cup of tea at all. Midget wanted his name on a piece of paper IMO, and that is all.

Prolly to keep him from going anywhere else

If that is the case, him signing guys he knows will never play for him to keep them from going somewhere else, I hope he keeps doing it.

Those are the ones he processes out...

Still, if he signs 5-10-15, or however many players he knows will never play, that is just like being on probation and having that same number of scholarship reduction.

Well...yeah, kinda sorta, but I don't think saying he knows they will never play is really accurate, more that he is after them to keep someone else from getting them and then treating them as a project recruit. If they pan out, great, if not toss them aside and get the next one. He also has a penchant to greyshirt recruits, almost like a waiting list to get a scholly. If one doesn't turn up, well, too bad. We'll send ya to UNA and let Tater Tot turn ya into a big fish in a small pond.

I don't pretend to know the mind of  :devil:. However, my guess is that he and all other coaches are doing the best they can to sign the best players they can every year and to have the best 85 possible on scholarship.

I am sure if  :devil: has a choice between 2 equal players and AU is in the running for one and one is from CA, I think he probably would take the guy AU wanted. I hope we would do same.

However, I think if he signs a "project", it is simply because he could not get someone better.  I don't see him or any coach passing on a guy that they think could contribute to take a "project" just to keep someone else from getting them.  :devil: taking good players he doesn't want/need just to keep AU from getting them doesn't help him beat TX and LSU.

I am certainly NOT saying  :devil: is not  :devil:. I am just thinking that if  coach wants to have a dominant team nationally (not just the state or SEC), he wants/needs to get the very best players he can on his team and not worry about the rest.

I could be and hope I am wrong because it would be nice to be able to get into  :devil: head that way and distract him from his goals/purpose. Focusing on what another school is doing and who they are recruiting takes energy and effort away from your own goal/purpose and I don't think that is a prescription for winning NCs.

Lol, why you hatin?

Anyway, I am transfering to Auburn after the upcoming school year for my wildlife degree.

Back on topic.  

Am I TOTALLY off base when I say that I think JJ will not be very likely to start.  My reasoning is this, Keil or Clint will start this year, next year, I expect Keil to start until he graduates or goes pro, after him, I believe it will be Zeke.  Now after all that time, we have had years of recruiting, and it has already been stated that we are really after a top QB for next year, I don't think JJ really breaks out as a QB.  I kind of see him as a Kodi Burns type of kid, just my opinion though.

Am I wrong, or what?

Now then, it's certainly a possibility, but at the same time, he truly does have all the potential in the world. Kodi Burns might not be a bad comparison; had Burns been given proper QB instruction, I truly believe he could have been great. I'm certainly happy with the way things turned out for both him and Cam, but he was an outstanding passer in high school, he just needed mechanical instruction, which he didn't get too much of being Brandon Cox's backup as a freshman, didn't get any of as Daniel Cobb's backup in Franklin's Nastycar HUNH, and then took one for the team and became a receiver when it became obvious that someone else was going to be the QB, because that's what the team needed from him.

JJ, even if he doesn't win a starting position, will be a valuable backup...and with the talent we're recruiting, we don't need him elsewhere like we did Kodi. So no, I expect him to be QB, I expect him to challenge to start when Kiehl moves on, be that in two years or three (more likely the latter). However, I do expect us to take an elite prospect at QB in 2014, so it's possible that he could take the reins from Kiehl as a redshirt freshman. Time will tell.

Either way, I really like JJ as a QB. He's started proving that he has the potential to be a passer rather than a thrower, and with his size that could be huge.

I agree about Burns. Think of this. What if we had not wasted a RS season his Freshman year and he would have had another year at AU under CGM after Cam to develop?  Not to knock last years QBs, but Kodi would have brought another dimension to the game.

I am not sure if it would have mattered, but I am still bugged by that minority Segment of Fans chanting KODI! KODI! KODI! during his Freshman year to try to get the coaches to pull our starter and waste Burns RS year.

Also, I am curious about what about the way things turned out for Cam were you not happy with?  :dunno:

I mean he won the Heisman, NC, and was 1st pick in the draft. Short of brokering peace in the Mideast, perfecting cold fusion, or curing cancer, I am not sure what more he could have done   :dunno:   ;D

Didn't Phillip Sims (ex-bammer) win that deal once? Not a big deal if he don't, he has CSL to work with.

Not sure if Simms did or didn't, but he was the #1 rated QB by one or another service. I saw a game of his in HS on BSPNU. I knew immediatley he would have a hard time seeing the field at bama. He was to mobile and to athletic to ever play for them. Not dinky's cup of tea at all. Midget wanted his name on a piece of paper IMO, and that is all.

Prolly to keep him from going anywhere else

If that is the case, him signing guys he knows will never play for him to keep them from going somewhere else, I hope he keeps doing it.

Those are the ones he processes out...

Still, if he signs 5-10-15, or however many players he knows will never play, that is just like being on probation and having that same number of scholarship reduction.

Well...yeah, kinda sorta, but I don't think saying he knows they will never play is really accurate, more that he is after them to keep someone else from getting them and then treating them as a project recruit. If they pan out, great, if not toss them aside and get the next one. He also has a penchant to greyshirt recruits, almost like a waiting list to get a scholly. If one doesn't turn up, well, too bad. We'll send ya to UNA and let Tater Tot turn ya into a big fish in a small pond.

I don't pretend to know the mind of  :devil:. However, my guess is that he and all other coaches are doing the best they can to sign the best players they can every year and to have the best 85 possible on scholarship.

I am sure if  :devil: has a choice between 2 equal players and AU is in the running for one and one is from CA, I think he probably would take the guy AU wanted. I hope we would do same.

However, I think if he signs a "project", it is simply because he could not get someone better.  I don't see him or any coach passing on a guy that they think could contribute to take a "project" just to keep someone else from getting them.  :devil: taking good players he doesn't want/need just to keep AU from getting them doesn't help him beat TX and LSU.

I am certainly NOT saying  :devil: is not  :devil:. I am just thinking that if  coach wants to have a dominant team nationally (not just the state or SEC), he wants/needs to get the very best players he can on his team and not worry about the rest.

I could be and hope I am wrong because it would be nice to be able to get into  :devil: head that way and distract him from his goals/purpose. Focusing on what another school is doing and who they are recruiting takes energy and effort away from your own goal/purpose and I don't think that is a prescription for winning NCs.

Dude, he's letting Brent Calloway play offense when he's clearly a better linebacker prospect because that was the only way to get him to come to Alabama, even with Peaches blocking the way. He signed Corey Grant just to prove that he could go into Auburn's back yard (Opelika) and take a star prospect and wanted to turn him into a defensive back. You notice where Corey is now, after paying his own way for a year. And what about Petey Smith, whose older brother played for Auburn and who was coveted by the coaches. Where is he again?

No, it's not as prevalent as some make it out to be, but you'd better believe that Saban takes a few players every year just to keep them from going to other schools, most notably Auburn.

Lol, why you hatin?

Back on topic.  

Am I wrong, or what?

I agree about Burns. Think of this. What if we had not wasted a RS season his Freshman year and he would have had another year at AU under CGM after Cam to develop?  Not to knock last years QBs, but Kodi would have brought another dimension to the game.

I am not sure if it would have mattered, but I am still bugged by that minority Segment of Fans chanting KODI! KODI! KODI! during his Freshman year to try to get the coaches to pull our starter and waste Burns RS year.

Also, I am curious about what about the way things turned out for Cam were you not happy with?  :dunno:

I mean he won the Heisman, NC, and was 1st pick in the draft. Short of brokering peace in the Mideast, perfecting cold fusion, or curing cancer, I am not sure what more he could have done   :dunno:   ;D

Do me a favor. Point out where exactly I said anything about not being happy with Cam's performance.

Lol, why you hatin?

Back on topic.  

Am I wrong, or what?

Do me a favor. Point out where exactly I said anything about not being happy with Cam's performance.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

YOU DID NOT  -  MY BAD  I AM SO SORRY!

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I am either loosing my mind or my vision (or both). I swear when I read that  part in Red above, and I read it multiple times, I read the word "NOT HAPPY" and the word NOT is CLEARLY not there.

I think when I read where you said that Kodi COULD have been great, I think I just assumed you were saying you were NOT happy with the way things turned out for Kodi, which I understood and  just didn't understand why you included Cam. I responded without reading as carefully as I should have before typing. It was the classic ASSume.

Total Ignorance and lack of focus on my part. My most sincere apology.

FWIW, I did agree with everything else in the post, I was just trying to understand why you wrote something that you did not even write. Sorry.  :-[ :-[

Rock - Rednilla told me privately that he was not happy with how Cam Newton worked out. Just wanted to clear the air on this surfacing issue.

Rock - Rednilla told me privately that he was not happy with how Cam Newton worked out. Just wanted to clear the air on this surfacing issue.

:laugh: Jonesy, have you been hearing voices in your head again? :tease:

Lol, why you hatin?

Back on topic.  

Am I wrong, or what?

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

YOU DID NOT  -  MY BAD  I AM SO SORRY!

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I am either loosing my mind or my vision (or both). I swear when I read that  part in Red above, and I read it multiple times, I read the word "NOT HAPPY" and the word NOT is CLEARLY not there.

I think when I read where you said that Kodi COULD have been great, I think I just assumed you were saying you were NOT happy with the way things turned out for Kodi, which I understood and  just didn't understand why you included Cam. I responded without reading as carefully as I should have before typing. It was the classic ASSume.

Total Ignorance and lack of focus on my part. My most sincere apology.

FWIW, I did agree with everything else in the post, I was just trying to understand why you wrote something that you did not even write. Sorry.  :-[ :-[

No worries, I've been there and done that too, but I was honestly befuddled. I went back and checked for typos, you know, not sure how I could have made such a grievous error. But yeah, it's fine.

I guess Im on an island with this opinion but personally, I do not think Kodi Burns would have ever been a great QB. He simply could not make the easiest throws. I love the kid and admire his loyalty and feel he was a much more important contributor to the team in the role he ended up playing than he ever would've been as a QB buts thats just me I suppose

I guess Im on an island with this opinion but personally, I do not think Kodi Burns would have ever been a great QB. He simply could not make the easiest throws. I love the kid and admire his loyalty and feel he was a much more important contributor to the team in the role he ended up playing than he ever would've been as a QB buts thats just me I suppose

The problem is, he had 4 OC's during his time at AU, three in one year and had a wasted Red Shirt season that he really needed.  I think if he would have had CGM the whole time, he might have been the starter Last year.

Ironically, CTT went after CGM FIRST before he hired CTF, but it could not be worked out to get CGM. Can you

imagine how different things might have been in a LOT of ways if CGM had come instead of CTF?

To be totally fair, I am not sure how much CTT wanted CGM and how much that was someone else at AU pushing for him to hire CGM. I do think it was CGC's choice, but I think there were some people at AU that knew about CGM and wanted him before CGC was even hired.

What a Bad day for Red, Jonesy is hearing voices in his head that you didn't say and I am reading words into your  posts that are not there.  Pretty soon someone will claim to have seen you dining with PF and :devil:.   :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is, he had 4 OC's during his time at AU, three in one year and had a wasted Red Shirt season that he really needed.  I think if he would have had CGM the whole time, he might have been the starter Last year.

Ironically, CTT went after CGM FIRST before he hired CTF, but it could not be worked out to get CGM. Can you

imagine how different things might have been in a LOT of ways if CGM had come instead of CTF?

To be totally fair, I am not sure how much CTT wanted CGM and how much that was someone else at AU pushing for him to hire CGM. I do think it was CGC's choice, but I think there were some people at AU that knew about CGM and wanted him before CGC was even hired.

This. Kodi's issues with making "even the simplest of throws" were mechanical; he never learned to set his feet properly, which is why the ball sailed on him so often.

However, I'm not so sure that Malzahn's presence a year earlier would have helped him so much with throwing the ball. Gus's strength is his play calling; dude is as cerebral as it comes, and he matches wits with DCs exceedingly well. Nick Saban and John Chavis are both outstanding defensive coaches, and he did pretty danged well against both when the talent level was even close.

What a Bad day for Red, Jonesy is hearing voices in his head that you didn't say and I am reading words into your  posts that are not there.  Pretty soon someone will claim to have seen you dining with PF and :devil:.   :laugh:

:laugh::thumbsup:

Actually, truth be told, I'd enjoy dining with Finebaum. He wouldn't enjoy it too much, though...:laugh:

This. Kodi's issues with making "even the simplest of throws" were mechanical; he never learned to set his feet properly, which is why the ball sailed on him so often.

However, I'm not so sure that Malzahn's presence a year earlier would have helped him so much with throwing the ball. Gus's strength is his play calling; dude is as cerebral as it comes, and he matches wits with DCs exceedingly well. Nick Saban and John Chavis are both outstanding defensive coaches, and he did pretty danged well against both when the talent level was even close.

^^This is totally correct^^

Kodi needed a QB coach. CGM isnt one. he is the mad scientist of Calling/creating plays.

^^This is totally correct^^

Kodi needed a QB coach. CGM isnt one. he is the mad scientist of Calling/creating plays.

Thanks, I meant to add in that Malzahn's strength has never been as a QB coach. He'll be great as a head coach, though, as long as he has an offensive coordinator who can coach up QBs.

I think Gus is a solid QB coach - his sample size of working with QBs on the major college level is too small to flat out say its not his strength - yet I am sure Cam would give Gus a lot of credit for where he is today as a QB. I know... I know ...Cam would have been a great regardless because of his athletic prowess, As for Kodi IMO he was too short, not prototypical size for todays QB.... his footwork suffered because he was always pushing up in his toes to see past the lineman which affected his accuracy. He was decent on rollouts and boots where his visibility was better....still I think he may have progressed better if he had a more consistent QB coach...

The issue is that KB at WR, not QB, made CTT happy as an SOB.  CGM was too much of a HA to give KB some TLC, not to mention CGC being down with OPP, and listening to LMFAO. 

My head hurts!

I think Gus is a solid QB coach - his sample size of working with QBs on the major college level is too small to flat out say its not his strength - yet I am sure Cam would give Gus a lot of credit for where he is today as a QB. I know... I know ...Cam would have been a great regardless because of his athletic prowess, As for Kodi IMO he was too short, not prototypical size for todays QB.... his footwork suffered because he was always pushing up in his toes to see past the lineman which affected his accuracy. He was decent on rollouts and boots where his visibility was better....still I think he may have progressed better if he had a more consistent QB coach...

...Kodi is 6'2. That might be a tiny bit on the short side for a QB, but not much, and certainly not enough to make him throw off of his tiptoes.

...Kodi is 6'2. That might be a tiny bit on the short side for a QB, but not much, and certainly not enough to make him throw off of his tiptoes.

I have stood next to Kodi and if he is a legit 6'2 then I am 6'8....6'0 feet at best...in cleats he may go up an inch...still he is shorter than his listed measureables

I have stood next to Kodi and if he is a legit 6'2 then I am 6'8....6'0 feet at best...in cleats he may go up an inch...still he is shorter than his listed measureables

Either way, prototypical height is not as big a deal until you get to the pros. Cam's throwing was not all that refined at Auburn, but it didn't really need to be.

Understand, I'm not knocking Gus, but he doesn't have a background in coaching QBs. He made a name for himself because of his version of the HUNH and the way he exploited weaknesses in the defense. It's easy to look good throwing the ball when the receiver is wide open, which happens frequently with him because of the way he plays the defense. Teaching throwing mechanics is not something he has any kind of reputation with.

Archived