Punt, Bama, Punt

Elephant Tipper

I was at that game. You should have seen the Bammers walking out of Legion Field. They were in a collective state of shock.

I’ve told this story here before but I never get tired of telling it so here we go. My Dad didn’t go directly to college out of high school. He spent time in the Navy, worked as a machinist, got married and had a child before he decided he wanted to go to college. He started out attending junior college and when he was finished he told my Mom he wanted to transfer to Auburn. My Mom being an Alabama fan and the fact that they lived in north Alabama said no way. I don’t know how but somehow my Dad got his way. They were in Auburn during the 1972 season and got tickets and went to the game. They were sitting in the Auburn section and she was given an Auburn shaker. After the game was over as they were walking back to the car and she was still holding the Auburn shaker in her hand. She said she was called every name in the book and if she ever got out of there she would never be for Alabama again. Till this day she’s as anti Alabama as they come. Many that didn’t know her prior to 1972 can’t believe she was ever an Alabama fan.

I was at that game. You should have seen the Bammers walking out of Legion Field. They were in a collective state of shock.

I didn't go to the game but the next morning when Tom York on Channel 6 showed the highlights (yes young posters, there was a time when you actually had to wait a day to see game highlights of a Saturday game & we were fortunate to see one game per season on television...lol ) you would swear that all the station did was just re-rack the film because every player and every action they took was almost identical. No DVR then so you had to wait until the evening news to see another replay.

I’ve told this story here before but I never get tired of telling it so here we go. My Dad didn’t go directly to college out of high school. He spent time in the Navy, worked as a machinist, got married and had a child before he decided he wanted to go to college. He started out attending junior college and when he was finished he told my Mom he wanted to transfer to Auburn. My Mom being an Alabama fan and the fact that they lived in north Alabama said no way. I don’t know how but somehow my Dad got his way. They were in Auburn during the 1972 season and got tickets and went to the game. They were sitting in the Auburn section and she was given an Auburn shaker. After the game was over as they were walking back to the car and she was still holding the Auburn shaker in her hand. She said she was called every name in the book and if she ever got out of there she would never be for Alabama again. Till this day she’s as anti Alabama as they come. Many that didn’t know her prior to 1972 can’t believe she was ever an Alabama fan.

Thanks for sharing. Superb story. Hope she preaches the good news that there is salvation from being an UpDyke.

My brother and I went to that game. Needless to say we were both ecstatic over the outcome. Later I ran into a friend who was a bif bammer fan. He proceeded to tell me AUBURN had no business winning that game. Here is how the conversation went:

Friend-There is no way Auburn should have won that game, they didn't have but just over 100 yards total offense.

Me-What was the final score?

Friend- They went up and down the field on Auburn.

Me- What was the final score?

Friend- 17-16

Me- Your honor, the defense rests.

I griped about my end-zone seats all week before that game. Then everything that happened in the game, the two blocked punts, the blocked bammer extra point and Jett's field goal all happened right in our laps! Couldn't have had better seats.

Four of us Auburn fans called an up-scale B'ham restaurant after the game and asked if they had any reservations cancelled. The reply "We sure did, want some seats?" There were three tables of us Auburn folks in there and the rest was empty. What a blast we had, yelling War Eagle to each other across the dining room!

Bill Newton that blocked both punts, even though the last was given credit to Roger Mitchell on air, had a great day besides the 2 blocked punts. He had about 8 solo tackles and recoverd a fumble.

This is my favorite game all time.

War Eagle!

My brother and I went to that game. Needless to say we were both ecstatic over the outcome. Later I ran into a friend who was a bif bammer fan. He proceeded to tell me AUBURN had no business winning that game. Here is how the conversation went:

Friend-There is no way Auburn should have won that game, they didn't have but just over 100 yards total offense.

Me-What was the final score?

Friend- They went up and down the field on Auburn.

Me- What was the final score?

Friend- 17-16

Me- Your honor, the defense rests.

LOL I don't think AU even had 100 yards. I thought it was 75---50 on the ground and 25 in the air. Yep, Bama did run up and down the field on AU except in the red zone. That was one great game--for AU, anyway.

Archived