Tempering Expectations

dcafd4au

I am new to the site and definitely not Stat-but a quick analysis of the past 20 years of AU's W/L record shows us averaging about 8.5 wins (8.45) since 1992 and averaging 9 (9.4) since 2002. I think that we all agree that this team has a ton of talent at some positions (RB, OL, DL) and we are thin at others (LB). I think that a lot of the pressure and expectations that we have unjustly placed on this team is in part due to the success of our biggest rival. We are in constant competition with UAT and their recent success has only turned up the heat on our expectations for the team to match and outperform. Why were we expecting a 10 win season with a first year quarterback, two freshmen on the OL, an unproven WR outside of Blake and Lutzie, a razor thin LB core, a secondary that has been suspect for years now and to top it off new offensive and defensive schemes when for the past 20 years we have been in a golden age of AU success and didn’t average such wins. I agree with the comments that we need to see marked improvement with the team that lies primarily with the coaching staff but what realistic fan was expecting a 2010 season again this year? Who are we going to bring in as a head coach if we fire Chizik? I understand the frustration, but, what are the solutions. To me its not fire sale changes and starting over again. Its taking our lumps this year wherever they come from and watching a team go through challenges as they grow into men to fight another day. We will see some good things as this team matures and leaders develop and step up. Stay positive-WDE!

I am new to the site and definitely not Stat-but a quick analysis of the past 20 years of AU's W/L record shows us averaging about 8.5 wins (8.45) since 1992 and averaging 9 (9.4) since 2002. I think that we all agree that this team has a ton of talent at some positions (RB, OL, DL) and we are thin at others (LB). I think that a lot of the pressure and expectations that we have unjustly placed on this team is in part due to the success of our biggest rival. We are in constant competition with UAT and their recent success has only turned up the heat on our expectations for the team to match and outperform. Why were we expecting a 10 win season with a first year quarterback, two freshmen on the OL, an unproven WR outside of Blake and Lutzie, a razor thin LB core, a secondary that has been suspect for years now and to top it off new offensive and defensive schemes when for the past 20 years we have been in a golden age of AU success and didn’t average such wins. I agree with the comments that we need to see marked improvement with the team that lies primarily with the coaching staff but what realistic fan was expecting a 2010 season again this year? Who are we going to bring in as a head coach if we fire Chizik? I understand the frustration, but, what are the solutions. To me its not fire sale changes and starting over again. Its taking our lumps this year wherever they come from and watching a team go through challenges as they grow into men to fight another day. We will see some good things as this team matures and leaders develop and step up. Stay positive-WDE!

I agree with your outlook, but only so far as that we actually see improvement. It is said that the most improvement happens between weeks 1 and 2. We regressed!! Now, let's say we come out and beat LaMo and cover the 16 points on this game. Should we all be ecstatic, and jump for joy that we beat LaMo???? I would like to see improvement this weekend, but am waiting to see what happens against Arky and LSU. I know it's a stretch to think we win either of those games right now, but I just want to see us moving in the right direction. I want to see our defense make some tackles, get a pick or two, and keep the other team out of the endzone so much. I want to see us complete some passes to receivers not named Blake and Lutz, to have a solid running game that we stick with in the red zone, and to have more completions than interceptions at the half. I'm not trying to be funny here. I am guilty of having high expectations this year, so shame on me. However, two years off a NC, with 4 top recruiting classes tends to do that to a guy. We can't continue the "Tubbs left us high and dry" excuse. We have recruited as well or better than bammer, USC, Oregon, Michigan, OSU, LSU, etc. but we don't seem to be reaping the benefits of this recruiting. The question I keep asking is "Why are so many of our elite recruits sitting on the bench?". Can it get any worse that we won't put Corey Grant in at RB, or in the slot? Can we put Kris Frost in at LB and see what happens? Can we put Erique Florence in at safety, and let him level someone coming across the middle? I'm not saying to bench the starters, but let them know that there is talent waiting behind them, and if they don't play at 120% every down, they may find themselves handing out gatorade or holding a clipboard.

Can't go by those stats, as they are misleading. Schedules used to only have 11 game seasons, now it's 12.

Auburn is one of the premier teams in country now. We should act like it and expect better. I didn't think we'd win the SEC this year, but I definitely didn't think we'd lose to clempson and moo freakin state! Now we are staring the BBVA Toilet Bowl, or no bowl at all, square in the face.

Not flaming but Jville-why so confident about Clemson. We had them down last year too and couldnt hold their passing game in check. They fit the bill of what I expected - a decent seasoned team with some dangerous playmakers on offense. I am more suprised at the lack of any continuity with MSU. There were times we were heading backward and half of the team still didnt know where to line up. I guess the way I see it is that after that game we can really only go in one direction.

I agree with your outlook, but only so far as that we actually see improvement. It is said that the most improvement happens between weeks 1 and 2. We regressed!! Now, let's say we come out and beat LaMo and cover the 16 points on this game. Should we all be ecstatic, and jump for joy that we beat LaMo???? I would like to see improvement this weekend, but am waiting to see what happens against Arky and LSU. I know it's a stretch to think we win either of those games right now, but I just want to see us moving in the right direction. I want to see our defense make some tackles, get a pick or two, and keep the other team out of the endzone so much. I want to see us complete some passes to receivers not named Blake and Lutz, to have a solid running game that we stick with in the red zone, and to have more completions than interceptions at the half. I'm not trying to be funny here. I am guilty of having high expectations this year, so shame on me. However, two years off a NC, with 4 top recruiting classes tends to do that to a guy. We can't continue the "Tubbs left us high and dry" excuse. We have recruited as well or better than bammer, USC, Oregon, Michigan, OSU, LSU, etc. but we don't seem to be reaping the benefits of this recruiting. The question I keep asking is "Why are so many of our elite recruits sitting on the bench?". Can it get any worse that we won't put Corey Grant in at RB, or in the slot? Can we put Kris Frost in at LB and see what happens? Can we put Erique Florence in at safety, and let him level someone coming across the middle? I'm not saying to bench the starters, but let them know that there is talent waiting behind them, and if they don't play at 120% every down, they may find themselves handing out gatorade or holding a clipboard.

I think it was AUpops in the recruiting forum {RECRUITING VS. EXPECTATIONS} that made a good point of looking at our recruiting numbers after non qualifiers and dismissals. If you take those players out of the rankings - we arent a top 5 or in most instances a top 20 recruiting class the past few years. I see more problems chasing recruiting titles and onboarding young men with poor values vs. coming in 10-15 with a full qualified class full of the right attitudes. I know that is easier said than done to evaluate a young mans future potential - but check out aupops post

Not flaming but Jville-why so confident about Clemson. We had them down last year too and couldnt hold their passing game in check. They fit the bill of what I expected - a decent seasoned team with some dangerous playmakers on offense. I am more suprised at the lack of any continuity with MSU. There were times we were heading backward and half of the team still didnt know where to line up. I guess the way I see it is that after that game we can really only go in one direction.

I guess because Watkins was out, the way we ran the ball down their throat last year with a more experienced. Dline, they have a sideshow for a HC, us returning 18 starters, and BVG running the defense.

To tell you the truth, it reminded me of last year's game:

We ran it down their throats and for some reason decide to pass in the redzone.

Can't go by those stats, as they are misleading. Schedules used to only have 11 game seasons, now it's 12.

Auburn is one of the premier teams in country now. We should act like it and expect better. I didn't think we'd win the SEC this year, but I definitely didn't think we'd lose to clempson and moo freakin state! Now we are staring the BBVA Toilet Bowl, or no bowl at all, square in the face.

The only people in this country that believe that we are a premier team now, is us.

The only people in this country that believe that we are a premier team now, is us.

Not for past two years, but Auburn is an elite football school traditionally. No other team has had as many undefeated seasons in the past 20 years, many 1st round draft picks, top notch facilities, and pay coaches higher than anyone (one of the reasons I and many others expect alot more from this staff).

Not for past two years, but Auburn is an elite football school traditionally. No other team has had as many undefeated seasons in the past 20 years, many 1st round draft picks, top notch facilities, and pay coaches higher than anyone (one of the reasons I and many others expect alot more from this staff).

CGC is ranked 9th in the highest salaries. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

2004 doesn't happen without 2003 just as 2010 doesn't happen without 2008. Auburn still doesn't have the 20-10 formula for success ( not sure if that's the exact number that Stat Tiger came up with), but will next year if I am not mistaken.

CGC is ranked 9th in the highest salaries. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Don't bother bring cold hard facts to the table White Tiger. It spoils their fun.

Don't bother bring cold hard facts to the table White Tiger. It spoils their fun.

Both of you need to learn how to read. I said coachES, plural. As in the entire staff, not just Chizik. But even still, that is top ten in the country for the HC. Do you think he is a top ten HC?

CGC is ranked 9th in the highest salaries. http://www.coachesho...esContracts.htm

Both of you need to learn how to read. I said coachES, plural. As in the entire staff, not just Chizik. But even still, that is top ten in the country for the HC. Do you think he is a top ten HC?

We pay our staff a ton of money, that's a fact.

http://www.al.com/sp...aches_lead.html

CGC is ranked 9th in the highest salaries. http://www.coachesho...esContracts.htm

NO

For all of those calling for CGC's head ( I am not one)...Who do we go and get that fixes the problem. New coach normally means whole new staff-recruiting hit and another 2-3 years in a new system to rebuild and compete. Who are the saviors out there that can right the ship quickly and put us back contending for SEC and NC's?

If we are paying our HC and staff Top 10 money, then obviously the expectations should be to have a consistent Top 10 football program which means an 8 win season should be a rare blip on the radar screen and not the status quo.

wde

CGC is the man. To even remotely suggest we need someone else is a JOKE! Our two 8 win seasons came on the heels of a 5-7 team and a 28 senior purge. Wanna compare what Saban did with his team of freshman (6-6, home loss to LaMo) to our team of freshman (7-5 with a new years bowl win)?

Point being is that when this team finds itself - we have the coaching to succeed! Expectations are rightfully high and should be!

At the risk of getting kicked off this board, a lot of the posts on this thread (and others) are starting to have a "bammerish" tone to them. By this, I mean that we are bringing up all the wonderful things we have done in the past. Most undefeated seasons in the past 20 years, top NFL picks over the past 20 years, etc. The problem is, that if you remove 2010, we haven't consistently been an elite SEC program for several years. Other than Cam and Fairley, we haven't had high profile picks in the early rounds of the draft. I hate to keep bringing up bammer and LSU, but they have truly established themselves as elite teams. Over the past 4 years, bammer has put numerous first rounders into the NFL, and have won 2 NC's. They look like they will contend for another one this year. Same thing for LSU. Sure, they laid an egg in the NC last year, but they have consistently beaten the top teams in the country over the past 4-5 years. For Auburn to be considered a "top-tier" program in the mighty SEC West, we have to consistenly beat (or at least take down to the wire) Arky, LSU, and bammer. We also need to consistently beat our oldest rival, UGA. We haven't had a great track record with those teams under Chizik.

I think we can turn things around, but we are going to have to take some chances. We are going to need to play some of our young guys, and see what they can do. Give some players a chance to prove themselves on the field. We have top recruits sitting on the bench, supposedly because they have had a difficult time grasping the offense/defense. Personally, I don't think it can get much worse, so give them a shot. We hear about these guys doing so well in practice, then never see them in the game.

If we are paying our HC and staff Top 10 money, then obviously the expectations should be to have a consistent Top 10 football program which means an 8 win season should be a rare blip on the radar screen and not the status quo.

wde

We are paying top 10 $$ but we still have two new coordinators-How long is reasonable to be patient for them to "earn" their paychecks? This year I just want to see improvement each week. Hopefully this week we look like an improved version of the Clemson game and the MSU game is just an abberation for the rest of the season.

Year one, Chizik and staff took over a team with a losing record the previous year (5-7, 2-6) and improved to 8-5, 3-5 taking the eventual NC to the wire and winning a bowl game.

Next year they go undefeated and win the National Championship against one of the toughest schedules in the country, beating our biggest rival on the road in the largest comeback in series history, and destroying SC in an SECCG rematch.

Year three they take a team that lost approx. 35 contributing players from the previous year and go 8-5, 4-4 against an incredibly difficult SEC road schedule led by 2 unseasoned, marginally talented QB's and a host of promising freshmen and sophomores.

Year four certainly hasn't started they way any of us would like, but we do have an inexperienced QB playing behind a young (but talented) OL trying to learn a new offense.

We have 2 new coordinators and it will take time for them to implement their systems due to the 20 hrs/wk practice rules. I, for one, intend to be a little more patient before I jump off the cliff. If at the end of the year we only have 3 or 4 wins I will officially be concerned, but I don't think that will be the case.

I didn't expect to go undefeated this year. I really didn't even expect to reach 10 wins. What I did expect though, were those “young” players from last year to improve, get better fundamentally, be more competitive in games. It's not happening, and nothing even remotely suggests that it is going to this season. Something needs to change. We are seeing the same bad fundamentals this year, that we saw in 2009, 2010 (Thank god for the O-Line, Cam, and Nick), and 2011.

How many years do we have to watch the same bad defense, bad fundamentals, poor tackling, before we realize that this is more of an issue with player development and technique, as opposed to age and experience?

I did before these first two games this year. After that inexplicable Moo State loss, I'm not sure if he's top 50.

Archived