Why do recruits commit to Chizik?

lewisbr

I think this could also fall under the recruiting section so the mods can move if you must. Anyways, why are kids like JJ and Jaquay W committing to Chizik? I understand wanting to play for the people that recruited you but what does he do for them to commit to him? I know if I were a QB or WR, Auburn unfortunately would be one of the last places I would go right now. Just my 2 cents

Good man (personally), they see a chance to make a big difference, and they like his style. Plus, they commit to position coaches as much as the HC.

They know as long as Chizik is here, they won't be held accountable for their actions as long as they don't continously screwup or do something stupid. That and the coaching staff is all buddy buddy with the players, and therefore don't have the needed boss/employee relationship that is needed.

i haven't the foggiest idea as to what is behind jeremy johnson's recent remarks. I do hope he snaps out of it. If you are committed to playing for Gene Chizik, you might be committed to playing for a DIII bottom feeder. where would chizik go? his stock is all time low

I think this could also fall under the recruiting section so the mods can move if you must. Anyways, why are kids like JJ and Jaquay W committing to Chizik? I understand wanting to play for the people that recruited you but what does he do for them to commit to him? I know if I were a QB or WR, Auburn unfortunately would be one of the last places I would go right now. Just my 2 cents

FOUR years guaranteed scholarship, that is in no way performance based? I'd think that's a huge selling point to a bunch of guys - stay out of trouble - stay in class - and no matter how bad you stink it up on the football field, you are guaranteed four (4) years on Auburns dime.

FOUR years guaranteed scholarship, that is in no way performance based? I'd think that's a huge selling point to a bunch of guys - stay out of trouble - stay in class - and no matter how bad you stink it up on the football field, you are guaranteed four (4) years on Auburns dime.

hmmmm, maybe our self righteous attitude toward four year schollies (i'm guilty of that attitude) is hurting us. never thought of that. keesler, i usually like your posts

It's like when you were in school, everyone had a buddy whose folks let him drink, or stay out late, or smoke cigarettes, or whatever...you know, the cool parents. Meanwhile, your parents made you study, go to bed at a decent hour, drink milk, eat vegetables and all that crap. All of your friends would congregate over at his house, and everyone wished their parents were as cool as that guy's.

That guy's parent weren't bad people, and they probably didn't think they were doing a bad job raising their kids. Hell, their kids probably still live with them to this day, smoking cigarettes, drinking beer, and staying up late.

Gene Chizik is like the "cool parent" all 18 year old kids want to be raised by a cool parent. It's not until you look back when you are a few years older that you appreciate your folks for making you study and act right. I'm not faulting CGC, he thinks he is doing the right thing for these kids. I'm just ready for a straight up jerkface, A-hole dad to come in and start cracking skulls.

I hope Finebaum turns up the heat this year if GC and JJ is kept. He and the rest of the media will really grill Auburn to death after each loss in 2013. They should.

If that's their attitude, and I hope it's not, then it's obvious why they aren't succeeding in the SEC.

Chizik and this staff has sold "Family" in a whole different meaning than a lot of us understand the term. The family I think of is having other people that care about our collective success just as much as me and my personal success. The family that has been sold to these recruits is "family" that is like a fraternity (no offense greeks), we all show up have fun, party, end up liking each other, and whatever else happens... happens. It's not family in the sense of a paternal figure who demands respect and is the undoubted authority of the group. I think this is why BVG struggles with the culture here right now. JMO

if you met the man in person, youd see why they committed

whatever happens will happen, but if gene stays i still think he'll work hard to put us back on top of the SEC

hes a better coach than this year would indicate

hes gonna need to make changes though and soon

I hope Finebaum turns up the heat this year if GC and JJ is kept. He and the rest of the media will really grill Auburn to death after each loss in 2013. They should.

If you are going to make posts like this, you might want to change your signature line.

Recruiting is all about relationships. Case in Point, during our NC year an LSU player made a great hit on our return man down the boundary on KO return. When he started back on to the field CTT slapped the LSU player on the helmet in congratulations for a great play. If I recall correctly, that LSU player was one CTT had recruited hard and tried to get to come to AU.

Also, Tubbs once said out of ALL his assistants, CGC was the man he wanted in there when it was time to close the deal with a recruit.

So, for all you guys screaming for a change, remember, these relationships with HS players and coaches have been formed over the past 3 years. We are going to lose some players because of our terrible record, but we will lose even more if we unload this staff.

hmmmm, maybe our self righteous attitude toward four year schollies (i'm guilty of that attitude) is hurting us. never thought of that. keesler, i usually like your posts

Yeah, its funny, last spring 4 year scholarships were the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I recall correctly, Keesler and a couple of other of us predicted that this would happen when we lost some games. I recall us getting beat up pretty bad over that topic. Of course CGC and this staff were also great last spring and Tubbs couldn't coach at all. Of course now all that has been re-rationalized

This is why you don't let fans make decisions or be the deciding factor on what decisions are made.

If you are going to make posts like this, you might want to change your signature line.

I really need to read more signature lines. Thats funny right there!!!

Why, him and YaBoyMaxWeeze are ALL IN. :rolleyes:

if you met the man in person, youd see why they committed

whatever happens will happen, but if gene stays i still think he'll work hard to put us back on top of the SEC

hes a better coach than this year would indicate

hes gonna need to make changes though and soon

Having had lunch with him, I agree with your first comment 100%. I also think that some folks would likely change their opinion of Jacobs if they had a chance to sit down with the guy as well. Having said that, our program is broken right now, and it occurred under CGC's watch. Our program needs to move in a totally different direction top to bottom and unfortunately, I think cleaning house is the only way to get this done.

Chizik is an obviously good salesman and that is what recruiters do, they sale themselves and their program. He is at the moment not a good HC, but I will admit he and his staff can recruit up a storm. These assistants and players need a tough, no nonsense perfectionist as their HC and they will thrive.

This has absolutely nothing to do with it because just about every school in the SEC does it now. Even Alabama said they'd start doing it. Recruits almost always commit to the coach rather than the university, especially the out-of-state guys we've been going after. We need to either keep CGC another year or get one of maybe 5 coaches who have a big enough name to excite them into staying. If we keep Chizik another year and we have a bad season we will at least have a roster full of highly talented players with a lot of experience on both sides of the ball to give the new coach enough time to build his own recruiting connections. If we keep him and he has a 9+ win season and doesn't get blown out on the losses but keeps them close, then we keep a coach that obviously just had a perfect storm bad season (admititly due to his own bad management).

WDE

we keep him and he has a 9+ win season and doesn't get blown out on the losses but keeps them close, then we keep a coach that obviously just had a perfect storm bad season (admititly due to his own bad management).

WDE

At that point, I'd say Chizik should forever be known as "Lightening Rod Gene" after his TWO perfect storms in three years!

Archived