Firefox 1.0 Officially Released

AuNuma1

The Mozilla Organization has officially released Firefox 1.0 final today and it's amazing. I can't believe it's free. One of the neatest new features I've found is the "Live Bookmarks". It's an RSS feed reader that's presented in the form of a bookmark in the browser...just check it out!

photo-76721.png

Here's a tip I found very useful. To do this with the previous version, I think you had to have an extension. It will force links that open a new window to open in a new tab:

Type "about:config" into Firefox.

Find the property that says "browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs".

Double-click it to change it's value from false to true.

Now go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Tabbed Browsing

Check the "Force links that open new windows to open in:" and select "a new tab".

You won't see this option by default and I'm not sure why...I thought it was really helpful, especially without using an extension.

1. NO MORE AD/SPYWARE!!!

2. No popup blocker needed!

3. TABBED BROWSING!!!

4. Not M$!

5. Extensions!

6. Integrated Search Engines

119945[/snapback]

All of that is avail with sp2/IE6 except for the tabbed browsing and the not microsoft. The tabbed browsing, to me, is the only advantage of going with firefox. But IE6 seems much more lightweight to me.

Good product though. And its free...which is cool

1. NO MORE AD/SPYWARE!!!

2. No popup blocker needed!

3. TABBED BROWSING!!!

4. Not M$!

5. Extensions!

6. Integrated Search Engines

119945[/snapback]

All of that is avail with sp2/IE6 except for the tabbed browsing and the not microsoft. The tabbed browsing, to me, is the only advantage of going with firefox. But IE6 seems much more lightweight to me.

Good product though. And its free...which is cool

119995[/snapback]

Ummm... No, you are misinformed.

IE ONLY has #2 in SP2. You can STILL get adware and spyware, it's still made by M$, thre are no "extensions"/plugins support like FireFox, and there are no integrated search engines. (Open firefox and look in the upper right at the search box, not click the symbol and go to "Add Engines", you will now see what I mean...)

Well i dont see what the difference is in downloading the google toolbar up top and having it in your browser. And I dont see a benefit from extensions/themes that would make me want to switch browsers.

Do you work for mozilla? ;)

ummmm you can have adware/spyware on your machine with firefox. adaware and spybot are what most people use to get rid of that crap.

Blocking popups does not mean it will block spyware.

BG thinks anyone who touts Firefox over IE is a Mozilla lackey. ;)

I just happen to think it's a superior product. And you can bet your ass that if it weren't for Firefox, IE still wouldn't have a pop-up blocker and would be even less secure than it is now. It takes competition it seems for Microsoft to get their crap together at all.

BTW, another feature is that Mozilla Firefox has better cookie control. You can specify that you only want to accept cookies from the site you actually navigated to, but not the ones attached to ads and other such that are on the page you visit.

And I don't know about IE's pop up blocker, but Firefox lets you specify the sites that you wish to have pop-ups blocked on, and those you want to allow pop-ups to come through on. For instance, you could exempt this site from the pop up blocker so that you get the pop up notification when you receive a private message. Very useful.

Firefox also makes it more clear to you when you are connecting via https vs http by highlighting the url bar bright yellow. This is extremely helpful for people that fall for the credit card login spoofing. Try that in IE...

And BS I can't believe you're not at all impressed with the live bookmark feature...that's freakin cool.

And I don't know about IE's pop up blocker, but Firefox lets you specify the sites that you wish to have pop-ups blocked on, and those you want to allow pop-ups to come through on.  For instance, you could exempt this site from the pop up blocker so that you get the pop up notification when you receive a private message.  Very useful.

120073[/snapback]

IE6 does that. Its funny that MS doesnt get any credit for adding pop up blocking because they didnt do it until after Firefox came out...but isnt that how things work? I mean all of the things that have come out of Microsofts innovations over the years...isnt it easier to improve on a product that someone else created as opposed to making something from scratch?

But weve been through this before no need in rehashing it again. Some of you hate microsoft, and that wont change anytime soon. Regardless of what good things they do.

And I don't know about IE's pop up blocker, but Firefox lets you specify the sites that you wish to have pop-ups blocked on, and those you want to allow pop-ups to come through on.  For instance, you could exempt this site from the pop up blocker so that you get the pop up notification when you receive a private message.  Very useful.

120073[/snapback]

IE6 does that. Its funny that MS doesnt get any credit for adding pop up blocking because they didnt do it until after Firefox came out...but isnt that how things work? I mean all of the things that have come out of Microsofts innovations over the years...isnt it easier to improve on a product that someone else created as opposed to making something from scratch?

But weve been through this before no need in rehashing it again. Some of you hate microsoft, and that wont change anytime soon. Regardless of what good things they do.

120095[/snapback]

Well, they get credit to some extent, but it's tempered by the fact that despite people begging for such a feature for years, the "leading" browser on the market wouldn't add it...but other browsers like Firefox and Safari have had it for 2 or 3 years now. And if you saw the underlying code for those browsers, you'd see that they didn't build on jack squat that Microsoft did. Both of them owe more of a nod to the work of Netscape than they do Microsoft. In fact, Microsoft sort of owes the same nod to Netscape as well.

My point is, it's sad when a company with the size and money that Microsoft has, that controls 95% of the browser market (check that, 92% because they've lost 3% to Firefox in the last couple of months), don't even make the best browser on the market. It tells me that all things being equal (like not tying IE into the OS) and having other options preloaded (something M$ has strongarmed computer companies in the past not to do), IE wouldn't be the leading browser based on actual performance and features. It at least wouldn't have anything near the market dominance it currently has.

So I'm very thankful for organizations like Mozilla and companies like Apple. And you should be too. It keeps you from being force-fed whatever crap Microsoft feels like marketing to you instead of competition forcing M$ to market things people actually want.

ummmm you can have adware/spyware on your machine with firefox. adaware and spybot are what most people use to get rid of that crap.

Blocking popups does not mean it will block spyware.

120039[/snapback]

You are incorrect to make a connection between popups and adware. One does not guarentee the other. Most adware and spyware take advantage of holes in IE's install-on-demand system that allows itself to install on your computer through IE. FireFox does not allow such actions and therefore prefents the installation of those types of ad and spyware. (Others can be installed in other ways unrelated to Firefox.)

As for the google toolbar. I think it's great, and you can install it on FF as well, but how about Ebay? Dictionary.com? IMDB? Wikipedia? Amazon.com? Creative Commons?

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html

And no, I don't work for Mozilla, I'm just a loyal customer. Heck, even the US Gov't knows IE is insecure, and if it's THAT obvious, more people might want to step back and reconsider their options.

Article concerning gov't opinion: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/ArticlesByTop...s/Security/1631

Sorry...you posted before i wrote my comment about working for mozilla...it was aimed at Numa. Sort of an inside joke. ;)

120321[/snapback]

It's cool man, I can't get too mad at one of the few fellow Tiders around here. ;)

Latest headlines is pretty cool too. But how do I get animated gifs to work? Hadn't figured that one out yet.

Ok, I am using it right now and it's not bad. I like the suggestion given earlier in this thread about the forcing of links to open in the current window. My question is, what is browser.turbo.enable do? I set it to true and it seems to be working, but way is it hidden like that? Are there any other optimizations I should try?

Ok, I am using it right now and it's not bad.  I like the suggestion given earlier in this thread about the forcing of links to open in the current window.  My question is, what is browser.turbo.enable do?  I set it to true and it seems to be working, but way is it hidden like that?  Are there any other optimizations I should try?

121323[/snapback]

There's a plugin that does the same thing. Go to the Extensions page for more customizations. (Tools/Extensions/Get More Extensions)

ok all you FF users...i just tried up update to 1.0 at home, and now it won't wokr at all!

it says it can't find the site and yields something blank!

i'm now forced to use IE again!

****GASP****

very disappointing.

i'm gonna remove it & replace it...*sigh* any ideas?

ct

Interesting. Try uninstalling and reinstalling. (I make a rule to always uninstall and reinstall if possible w/o upgrading. It usually works best with most all software.)

If that doesn't work, you might try google or their forums.

CarolinaTiger - sorry bout that. I had no probs w/ mine, so it might have been a glitch or some such.

Still haven't had time to figure out how to get animated gifs to work on FF yet, but other than that, I'm happy w/ it.

well, i updated at work with no problem,a nd thought i'd do it at home last night, and now it won't work.

it searches for 2 seconds, and then immediately gives me message like it can't connect to the internet (i'm on a laptop w/ a wireless connection).

i know i'm connecting to the internet because IE works as well as my IM program.

i did the uninstall/reinstall, and still didn't work. in fact, i was expecting it to ask me to reupload all my old bookmarks etc., from IE, but it didn't ask me that, and even remembered all the pretabs i had set up & everything.

i'll keep poking at it.

thanks fellas.

ct

Streyeder, do you know which extension will allow me to view a little icon in the lower left that indicated javascript errors? IE does this by default with the little yellow 'A' and I had it working with FF 0.9 but I can't seem to find the extension...thanks for any help.

Or is there a setting in FF that will enable this?

Archived