Furman game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time I've seen them play this season. The defense looked really sharp most of the game (the part I saw). The offense looked off; like they werent in synch. Happy to have a win.

They were close in some of the earlier games. A few changes (Denson?) have given them the push needed to start picking up some wins.

They need to keep developing. They won't be world beaters, but they have the talent to sneak some wins in on the season.

How was the crowd tonight? Small like last?

It was pretty sparse. I am sure school being out does not help attendance. The people who were there seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

I am really encouraged! We started out slow offensively and defensively but we picked up steam as the game went along. I like the balanced offensive production we are seeing and love the depth off the bench. It seems to me that HC Barbee is still trying to find the right rotation of players and likes the times when Chubb and Dixon-Tatum are on the court together... I do too! Lots of guys are stepping up. (Not sure where Brian Greene Jr was last night. He may have been on the bench in street clothes.) Furman fielded a solid starting five with some size. Our bench production, along with a period of tenacious defense when they were trying to close the gap mid way through the second half, seemed to me to be the difference in the game.

An aside... AD Jay Jacobs and HFC Malzahn showed up late in the second half and Malzahn was having his picture taken with numerous kids. He also appeared to have a few decent, brief conversations with a few folks who approached him. Kind of hard for me to comment much further, since our seats are in the upper deck, just off mid court and opposite the AU bench, but he appeared to be texting the rest of the time!

WDE

I am still not sure what we are trying to do on offense. We look stagnant and clueless opposed to the other side where we show all sorts of different looks and seem to be getting better at rotating and stopping the drive. Denson coming back has been huge. He has played with a ton of confidence and brings a true 2nd scoring threat. Wish he was a better free throw shooter. Shaq plays his tail off but really needs to work on a jump shot. If he could develop a midrange game the kids could be really scary. I have to say not having a PG is going to kill us in SEC play. Frankie plays his tail off but he is not a PG. I hope either Green develops or that kid we are bringing in next year is ready to play

Something to remember though is the past 2 teams are 2 of the worst offensive teams in the country. It is good to get these wins and build up some confidence but I am still not looking forward to SEC play...

Dixon Tatum was 3-10 of the field. now I realize Chubb was like 2-8 but at least Chubb took smart shots. Chubb will start every game ths year just like he did last year. Chubb is an experienced senior who is averaging near a double double, Dixon Tatum wont be starting anytime soon.

Dixon Tatum was 3-10 of the field. now I realize Chubb was like 2-8 but at least Chubb took smart shots. Chubb will start every game ths year just like he did last year. Chubb is an experienced senior who is averaging near a double double, Dixon Tatum wont be starting anytime soon.

Ya I hate to say it but I actually think Chubb is the better overall player. Dixon Tatum gets out of position constantly and is real soft inside. Now I think he has tremendous upside but Chubb is the better one right now. I just hope one of those big men we are bringing in next year can be solid from day one

I am still not sure what we are trying to do on offense. We look stagnant and clueless opposed to the other side where we show all sorts of different looks and seem to be getting better at rotating and stopping the drive. Denson coming back has been huge. He has played with a ton of confidence and brings a true 2nd scoring threat. Wish he was a better free throw shooter. Shaq plays his tail off but really needs to work on a jump shot. If he could develop a midrange game the kids could be really scary. I have to say not having a PG is going to kill us in SEC play. Frankie plays his tail off but he is not a PG. I hope either Green develops or that kid we are bringing in next year is ready to play

Something to remember though is the past 2 teams are 2 of the worst offensive teams in the country. It is good to get these wins and build up some confidence but I am still not looking forward to SEC play...

All that is true. But I'm hopeful because there is progress.

How was the crowd tonight? Small like last?

It was pretty sparse. I am sure school being out does not help attendance. The people who were there seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

4,820 paid

this is a great time of year to go and see a game and take your kids. if you live within a couple of hours ... make a day of it. grab a bite & pregame beer at your favorite eatery, spend a few minutes on campus taking a deep and refreshing Auburn breath of air, then go and see the game. easy in/out ... crowd is not bad at all, friendly, and Auburn schedules wins this time of year. the last 2 games would have been fun to be in the arena.

So glad to hear that the defensive intensity has picked up. This shows improvement and increased work eithic. You don't have to be the most talented to work hard on defense. I anticipate this helping us be competative some SEC games that we would prveiously been dominated in. And the added scoring from Denson seems to have balanced the offensive attack a little better. Always good to see improvement.

It was also nice to see Gus Malzahn at the game. They caught him on camera talking to several folks. It seems we have a lot more approachable football coach now. I don't recall Chizik ever attending a basketball game.

Archived