Why is our basketball team bad?

Dual-Threat Rigby

We have sorry upperclassmen!

Chubb is awful... Sullivan is a streaky head case... Wallace is mediocre at best... N Johnson streaky at best...

We do have some young talent. It's gonna take time.

Blaming the players for this mess is not correct. Good coaches build their offense and defense around the players available to them and put them in a position to succeed. Coaches should also be teaching them how to execute and by this time of the year every player on the team should know their role and where to be and when to be there. Instead we have key players on this team that have zero idea how to play defense, or the science behind rebounding. The offense often looks like street ball because of coaching not the players trying to execute it. At the least we should have seen the young guys getting majority playing time and letting the coaches develop them if the seniors are so unathletic that they can't perform up to the standard the CTB style needs. Instead we have the most awkward substitution patterns that seem to make zero sense. Instead with the season over CTB has Frankie playing point against Texas A&M for much of the 2nd half. LOL WTH is that?! Handling the ball is not even something he is good at. Why not play Greene or Price? Honestly I think this has to be the worst AU team of my life time except maybe the last Tommy Joe Eagles club but it is a toss up. Think that team only won 3 conference games but the SEC was about 99% better in those days. Fact is Barbee has done a terrible job with this years team. No way to deny it.

I expect CTB to get another year because of his contract since JJ has to hope Barbee can find way to turn it around to save face so the AD doesn't have to pay another steep buyout. But so far I think Barbee has failed coaching up the kids we have. I think he has failed in recruiting and even burned bridges in state that makes it harder for him to succeed in the future. I think he has failed in building any type of foundation for success in year 4.

At this point I doubt if any coach we hire will have AU in the NCAA tournament in the next 2 or 3 years due to the attrition and poor recruiting under Barbee. However based on the product CTB has produced both on the court and recruiting I am sure he won't ever get us in the tourney. :rant: And if anyone wants to tell me Barbee is a good coach then please explain why you think that is true because I sure don't see it.

Blaming the players for this mess is not correct. Good coaches build their offense and defense around the players available to them and put them in a position to succeed. Coaches should also be teaching them how to execute and by this time of the year every player on the team should know their role and where to be and when to be there. Instead we have key players on this team that have zero idea how to play defense, or the science behind rebounding. The offense often looks like street ball because of coaching not the players trying to execute it. At the least we should have seen the young guys getting majority playing time and letting the coaches develop them if the seniors are so unathletic that they can't perform up to the standard the CTB style needs. Instead we have the most awkward substitution patterns that seem to make zero sense. Instead with the season over CTB has Frankie playing point against Texas A&M for much of the 2nd half. LOL WTH is that?! Handling the ball is not even something he is good at. Why not play Greene or Price? Honestly I think this has to be the worst AU team of my life time except maybe the last Tommy Joe Eagles club but it is a toss up. Think that team only won 3 conference games but the SEC was about 99% better in those days. Fact is Barbee has done a terrible job with this years team. No way to deny it.

I expect CTB to get another year because of his contract since JJ has to hope Barbee can find way to turn it around to save face so the AD doesn't have to pay another steep buyout. But so far I think Barbee has failed coaching up the kids we have. I think he has failed in recruiting and even burned bridges in state that makes it harder for him to succeed in the future. I think he has failed in building any type of foundation for success in year 4.

At this point I doubt if any coach we hire will have AU in the NCAA tournament in the next 2 or 3 years due to the attrition and poor recruiting under Barbee. However based on the product CTB has produced both on the court and recruiting I am sure he won't ever get us in the tourney. :rant: And if anyone wants to tell me Barbee is a good coach then please explain why you think that is true because I sure don't see it.

Bad coaching, little to no talent, general apathy from the fanbase as a whole.......

I agree with you AUBourne, good post.

As for the last comment apathy from fanbase, I go to lots of the games, the student section is great, I have been told by visitors that they wish their student section was as good. As far as alumni seating it has been there at the big games, lost it now, it would be packed even if we were close to .500. We got the fans we just need a coach and a new AD. I totally disagree with anyone that says AU alumni will not show up to basketball, there is plenty of great local support across central alabama for mid week games and weekend games folks will travel, we have proved it in the past.

What top rated basketball prospect is going to want to come play basketball at AU?? Recruiting has got to improve to draw in the better players. FS is not a PG and shouldn't be playing it b/c he is a scorer, but he has been streaky at best. AU doesn't have really good PG that is needed in the SEC to win. No big man inside as a go to. Chubb does fight and play hard, but he can't guard half the other big men in the SEC, much less score over or around them. There a few pretty good young ball players on the roster, but I haven't seen anything out of them to say they are going to be stars in the SEC.

Bad coaching, little to no talent, general apathy from the fanbase as a whole.......

I disagree - the fan's will show up in droves if AU can put a competitive product on the court. We have one of the loudest and most energetic student sections in our conferece, with the exception of UK. The new Arena offers a great atmosphere for the whole family.

The SEC as a whole has been weak this season - I really wish AU/Barbee had been able to take advantage of it.

When I painfully watch this team play ball, I get the exact same sickening feeling I got when I watched our football team the last two years. The players aren't sharp, they lack fundamentals and appear to give up and become easily dejected. It's a shame that the AU fanbase has to witness back to back AU teams that appear ill prepared and lack the very basic skills of the sport they've been given a scholarship to perform under. I hate to see AU have to go through another coaching change/transition - the one thing both football and basketball needs desperately is stability.

Including KT we got 8 got dang wings, 2 C's, 1 PF that is in serious need of some deer antler spray and a former walk on at PG. To recap that is 8 players for 2 positions and 4 for the other 3. It is simply a poorly put together roster.

As with our 3-9 football fiasco, I don't think you can point to one thing that got us to the point our BBall team is right now. Everyone is debating coaching vs. players as the reasons for the fall. I think it is a combination of it all. Should Barbee have done a better job coaching and developing players up until this point? Yes! But on the other hand, how do you plan an offense around players that pose no serious inside offensive threat and shooters that are often streaky at best? Should the players we have be playing better at this point. Yes! We have senior leaders on this team, one of which (Sullivan) that could easily compete for the leading scorer in the conference. Yet we have him coming off the bench because he isn't producing. But on the other hand, our players see no offensive structure, so they often wind up jacking up some shot or making some dumb turnover as the clock runs down. Many people say this looks like street ball. Well it is, because there is a lack of offensive identity/coaching.

Should Barbee have done a better job of recruiting? Yes! it has been reported that he has burned bridges and lost out on many local recruits. But at the same time, Barbee has pulled some pretty good recruits (some of which never qulify, transfer, etc). Why is Barbee continually substituing and starting different lineups? Because even he doesn't know what lineup will be the best to put us in a position to win.

I think it all points to a lack of a lot of things. A lack of coaching, a lack of senior leaders stepping up, a lack of consistency among players that are key contributors, a lack of effort at times. The coaching can and should be better. But I just don't think it begins and ends there. With that being said, I think CTB gets one more year. JJ saves face by granting one more year and not having to pay as steep of a buyout. I would love to say we see better next year, but i just don't see it happening. Would love for CTB to turn this around, but my guess is he will be fired at the end of next season. Call me a pessimist, but my sunshine pump is broken about AU Basketball until I see something positive on the court.

As with our 3-9 football fiasco, I don't think you can point to one thing that got us to the point our BBall team is right now. Everyone is debating coaching vs. players as the reasons for the fall. I think it is a combination of it all. Should Barbee have done a better job coaching and developing players up until this point? Yes! But on the other hand, how do you plan an offense around players that pose no serious inside offensive threat and shooters that are often streaky at best? Should the players we have be playing better at this point. Yes! We have senior leaders on this team, one of which (Sullivan) that could easily compete for the leading scorer in the conference. Yet we have him coming off the bench because he isn't producing. But on the other hand, our players see no offensive structure, so they often wind up jacking up some shot or making some dumb turnover as the clock runs down. Many people say this looks like street ball. Well it is, because there is a lack of offensive identity/coaching.

Should Barbee have done a better job of recruiting? Yes! it has been reported that he has burned bridges and lost out on many local recruits. But at the same time, Barbee has pulled some pretty good recruits (some of which never qulify, transfer, etc). Why is Barbee continually substituing and starting different lineups? Because even he doesn't know what lineup will be the best to put us in a position to win.

I think it all points to a lack of a lot of things. A lack of coaching, a lack of senior leaders stepping up, a lack of consistency among players that are key contributors, a lack of effort at times. The coaching can and should be better. But I just don't think it begins and ends there. With that being said, I think CTB gets one more year. JJ saves face by granting one more year and not having to pay as steep of a buyout. I would love to say we see better next year, but i just don't see it happening. Would love for CTB to turn this around, but my guess is he will be fired at the end of next season. Call me a pessimist, but my sunshine pump is broken about AU Basketball until I see something positive on the court.

Much like last season's football team - we have no identity - no vision for what kind of system we want to run - and appears no plan in place.

Honestly, is it too much to ask as a fan to want see gradual improvement from our athletes? As the season goes on, you expect players to learn their position and know how to do their job. It's not all about winning, but it dang sure aught to be about continued focus on improvement in performance. Barring massive seaon-ending injuries, that's what a good coach should be able to achieve.

Much like last season's football team - we have no identity - no vision for what kind of system we want to run - and appears no plan in place.

Honestly, is it too much to ask as a fan to want see gradual improvement from our athletes? As the season goes on, you expect players to learn their position and know how to do their job. It's not all about winning, but it dang sure aught to be about continued focus on improvement in performance. Barring massive seaon-ending injuries, that's what a good coach should be able to achieve.

Good perspective. I'm not one of those fans that needs us to win every game or I jump ship. I would also just like to see a fight in the team and week to week improvement.

I guess I should have tempered my apathy comment. I meant apathy as compared with football and maybe even baseball. I know there are hardcore AU basketball fans but no way the fanbased in general would have put up with back to back football coaches that were the equivalent of Lebo and Barbee.

With the big three sports as a whole as low as I can remember (not many expecting big things from baseball) and now the Swimming/Diving team has its SEC streak broken can we please fire Jacobs already?

Archived