Basketball can be fun

AUBourne

I know some AU people will never believe it but basketball can be fun. One day Auburn Arena could resemble some of these places. AU people are hungry for success on the hardwood and to have some fun in March. Some of our football only fans might like the results it has on football recruiting and the huge, long term financial impact it could have for the University and city. Watching videos like these makes me hungry for AU to become a respected basketball program.

Those are great...thanks for showing them.

It's also an indication why some coaches stay at schools like Butler or Gonzaga despite offers from the big schools. There is nothing like being the big dog on a campus...for coaches and players too.

Considering the product Barbee put on the floor this year, it's amazing people came at all. I understand the students coming. It was free and many times they got free food. But to pay money to see that just doesn't make sense in this economy. If you put a good product out there, people will support it. You can't expect them to keep coming year after year when AU continues to be at the bottom of the barrel.

Just an observation but a good number of those schools on that list are not traditional basketball powers. And on the other hand, some pretty strong basketball schools are not on the list. And only three schools on the list are noted as strong football programs.

I think this says something positive about the AU student support and also about the new arena that concentrates the student section right next to the court so that even a modest student group of 1500 or so really makes a difference in the arena's atmosphere.

I remember a game, I think in the early 90's, when we played an Ark. team coached by Nolan Richardson. I believe Ark was ranked in the top 5. We were getting destroyed but with five minutes remaining erased a 15 pt. lead (rougly) to win the game. We hit a very late three, and got fouled to compelte a four point play. Students stormed the court; I high fived Tommy Joe Eagles as he was leaving the arena...great day. Point is, the game was an absoulte blast. I also remember waiting in the rain at the Columbus airport for the team to return after advancing in the NCAA tournament. Auburn basketball can be very fun.

I remember a game, I think in the early 90's, when we played an Ark. team coached by Nolan Richardson. I believe Ark was ranked in the top 5. We were getting destroyed but with five minutes remaining erased a 15 pt. lead (rougly) to win the game. We hit a very late three, and got fouled to compelte a four point play. Students stormed the court; I high fived Tommy Joe Eagles as he was leaving the arena...great day. Point is, the game was an absoulte blast. I also remember waiting in the rain at the Columbus airport for the team to return after advancing in the NCAA tournament. Auburn basketball can be very fun.

1993 Wesley Person hit a three after being down 15 with five to play. I was at that game. Very first Auburn basketball game ever attended. And yes students stormed the court. That was awsome.

I want to say that very same year Auburn went to Arkansas and just beat the crap ouf ot Arkansas. I listened to it on the radio. I would actually pay money for the audio of that game. Aaron Swinson had a dunk at the end of the first half AU won by 15. Jim Fyffe was about to lose his mind.

I was also a student in 99 and 2000 I long for the days of Auburn being that good again. We would play good teams at home and the game would be over by half and the atmosphere inside Beard Eves was electric.

Our expectaction level should be nothing short of that. Inside the new Auburn arena I just dream of the day of attending a game when is packed a top five team comes in like say Florida or Kentucky and we run them off the Floor.

Considering the product Barbee put on the floor this year, it's amazing people came at all. I understand the students coming. It was free and many times they got free food. But to pay money to see that just doesn't make sense in this economy. If you put a good product out there, people will support it. You can't expect them to keep coming year after year when AU continues to be at the bottom of the barrel.

Point one our fans should never be bandwagon. I would expect every SEC game to be a sell out regardless of record or performance. Secondly I take issue with those that criticize the state of Auburn basketball yet never attend a single game. If you cared you would go.

"To pay money to see that in this economy just doenst make sense" I dont ever see anyone express that viewpoint about attending Auburn football games last season.

All this said lacking attendance is not all together a bad thing it is one measure to get the administration's attention that change needs to happen. If the Chicago Cubs were only about money they dont ever have to win they will draw 3 mllion fans a season even if they lose 108 games. What incentive does ownership have to really improve the product.

I stormed the court when we beat Arkansas. I remember getting a big hug from Reggie Gallon in the middle of the scrum at mid court. I was a member of the now defunct Hoop Troop. Big fun watching those guys succeed!

"Wesley Person nailed a 3-pointer from the left corner with :02 left to give Auburn an 81-80 come-from-behind victory over 13th-ranked Arkansas on Mar. 6, 1993 … the Tigers trailed by 15 points with 7:57 left and following Person’s game-winner, Auburn fans stormed the court for the first time in school history."

I stormed the court when we beat Arkansas. I remember getting a big hug from Reggie Gallon in the middle of the scrum at mid court. I was a member of the now defunct Hoop Troop. Big fun watching those guys succeed!

"Wesley Person nailed a 3-pointer from the left corner with :02 left to give Auburn an 81-80 come-from-behind victory over 13th-ranked Arkansas on Mar. 6, 1993 … the Tigers trailed by 15 points with 7:57 left and following Person’s game-winner, Auburn fans stormed the court for the first time in school history."

Haha, that's great! I thought Ark. was ranked higher then though. Anyway, I did not remember the score, time remaining or even who made the shot, but I can still see the shot being made. I also didn't realize I was a part of school history! :hellyeah:

I may be considered a glutton for punishment - I can't bring my to abandon an AU team just because they are struggling - I attend every sporting event I can possibly make - I have season tickets to football & basketball - I try to attend as many baseball & softball games as possible - I am fortunate to live less than 45 minutes from JHS, so travel/expense is not an issue for me. I love the AU atomosphere win or lose.

I may be considered a glutton for punishment - I can't bring my to abandon an AU team just because they are struggling - I attend every sporting event I can possibly make - I have season tickets to football & basketball - I try to attend as many baseball & softball games as possible - I am fortunate to live less than 45 minutes from JHS, so travel/expense is not an issue for me. I love the AU atomosphere win or lose.

Seems you understand what's important. I've lived throught the good times and bad times and never considered abandoning AU or the kids that represent the school in athletics...just wish I lived close enough to see more events.

Archived