Signee Arrivals

DThriftWarEagle

Read any of Gus' comments regarding Kiehl and the last half of Spring? Seems the light was coming back on or Gus doesn't step out there. I like that Kiehl started slow on A-Day! He was able to get it going afterward. I am prepared for the onslaught coming but anyone who knows about such things knows I am right. That was a big deal.

With all due respect..i could care less what Gus says. I go by what i see on the field and what i've seen doesn't lead me to believe we have a starting SEC QB currently on the team. If you want to evaluate comments...see Rhett's comments. He coaches the QBs and is with them everyday and clearly by his account JW and KF have some serious work to do. I'm not "cheering" for ANY QB...i just want the best QB that lead us to the most wins. Does KF have the skills to do it...Yes but he hasn't showed in any way he can do it on the field...so I'm ready to move on. Let him be Kodi 2.0.

You would actually ignore what Gus has to say about the QB play and, instead, rely on what you believe Lashlee said? Unreal.

Coaches are coaches. You may get some truth but not all. Sorry if I trust my eyes and the coach that sees and coaches the QBs everyday! How is that unreal? Yes, Gus is the HC but would you believe everything he would say about the DT's, CB's...NO! You'd put more stock in their position coaches comments...at least common sense would tell you too. I'm pretty sure Gus is more involved in the offense than anything b/c that's his specialty but I'm still going to put more stock in Rhett says b/c he is with the QBs everyday and every minute while Gus has to check on an number of other things as a HC. The ultimate stock is the eye test and neither QB have passed it...talk is cheap to me!

Read any of Gus' comments regarding Kiehl and the last half of Spring? Seems the light was coming back on or Gus doesn't step out there. I like that Kiehl started slow on A-Day! He was able to get it going afterward. I am prepared for the onslaught coming but anyone who knows about such things knows I am right. That was a big deal.

With all due respect..i could care less what Gus says. I go by what i see on the field and what i've seen doesn't lead me to believe we have a starting SEC QB currently on the team. If you want to evaluate comments...see Rhett's comments. He coaches the QBs and is with them everyday and clearly by his account JW and KF have some serious work to do. I'm not "cheering" for ANY QB...i just want the best QB that lead us to the most wins. Does KF have the skills to do it...Yes but he hasn't showed in any way he can do it on the field...so I'm ready to move on. Let him be Kodi 2.0.

You would actually ignore what Gus has to say about the QB play and, instead, rely on what you believe Lashlee said? Unreal.

Coaches are coaches. You may get some truth but not all. Sorry if I trust my eyes and the coach that sees and coaches the QBs everyday! How is that unreal? Yes, Gus is the HC but would you believe everything he would say about the DT's, CB's...NO! You'd put more stock in their position coaches comments...at least common sense would tell you too. I'm pretty sure Gus is more involved in the offense than anything b/c that's his specialty but I'm still going to put more stock in Rhett says b/c he is with the QBs everyday and every minute while Gus has to check on an number of other things as a HC. The ultimate stock is the eye test and neither QB have passed it...talk is cheap to me!

For the record, I agree with you. We should be paying more attention to Rhett's comments about the QB's than Gus's, simply because Rhett is their position coach. It's comparable to listening to Coach EJ talk about linebackers rather than Gus; it isn't that Gus doesn't know about them (It's pretty safe to say that Gus knows how to evaluate QB's), it's just that Rhett spends more time with them.

Where my thoughts differ from yours though is the "Eye Test". I agree that seeing performance on the field is the final verdict, but it should not be the only verdict. A lot of what the QB's are working on at this point are fundamentals, and we only saw a very small selection of plays on A-Day, most of which (for Kiehl at least) were running plays. IMO Kiehl is a much better runner than JW (now, knowing when to run is a different issue, but I won't go into that here) and that showed in his A-Day stats. At this point, we need to trust our coaching staff because they are the professionals, we are not.

Sometimes, you have to break something down to build it back up better, otherwise you're always going to have that old foundation that will limit how high you can build.

For the record, I agree with you. We should be paying more attention to Rhett's comments about the QB's than Gus's, simply because Rhett is their position coach. It's comparable to listening to Coach EJ talk about linebackers rather than Gus; it isn't that Gus doesn't know about them (It's pretty safe to say that Gus knows how to evaluate QB's), it's just that Rhett spends more time with them.

Where my thoughts differ from yours though is the "Eye Test". I agree that seeing performance on the field is the final verdict, but it should not be the only verdict. A lot of what the QB's are working on at this point are fundamentals, and we only saw a very small selection of plays on A-Day, most of which (for Kiehl at least) were running plays. IMO Kiehl is a much better runner than JW (now, knowing when to run is a different issue, but I won't go into that here) and that showed in his A-Day stats. At this point, we need to trust our coaching staff because they are the professionals, we are not.

Sometimes, you have to break something down to build it back up better, otherwise you're always going to have that old foundation that will limit how high you can build.

Certaily get your points. From all accounts of coaches on the past staff and this staff KF is one of the best practice players they've seen but it just doesn't translate to the field like it should. That's my point. I understand that QBs work on a number of things in practice and i'm certainly not over evaluating A-Day. A-Day is what it is but Gus did make it as close to a real game that he could and by 83K showing up shows it was pretty important.

My expectations was to see some "signs" that either QB is flurishing in the system.....i didn't see it. It was much of the same. There are several players (ie..Tim Tebow) that are not that great of practice players but you put them on the field they perform at a high level...that's why i trust the "eye test" in terms on the field in real game action...not refering to drills. Our QBs are having the same issues...issues which is hard to correct in 4 months to be ready for game 1. I'm ready to move on to other QBs and by the looks of it...the coaches would like to as well if they can find someone to step up and do so. The two QBs from spring will start worst case senario.

The deal is that everything is going to be reset at the QB position in May. If one of the two QBs had pulled out front in a big way that wouldn't be the case. Neither of them did and that was their best chance to stake a claim to the job. It's wide open now.

Certaily get your points. From all accounts of coaches on the past staff and this staff KF is one of the best practice players they've seen but it just doesn't translate to the field like it should. That's my point. I understand that QBs work on a number of things in practice and i'm certainly not over evaluating A-Day. A-Day is what it is but Gus did make it as close to a real game that he could and by 83K showing up shows it was pretty important.

My expectations was to see some "signs" that either QB is flurishing in the system.....i didn't see it. It was much of the same. There are several players (ie..Tim Tebow) that are not that great of practice players but you put them on the field they perform at a high level...that's why i trust the "eye test" in terms on the field in real game action...not refering to drills. Our QBs are having the same issues...issues which is hard to correct in 4 months to be ready for game 1. I'm ready to move on to other QBs and by the looks of it...the coaches would like to as well if they can find someone to step up and do so. The two QBs from spring will start worst case senario.

By the time A Day rolled around, they had practiced 12 times I think? While trying to get the new guys to learn the plays and teaching tempo. I never expected a huge turnaround by A Day, but we did see some good things from both QBs.

Everyone always complains about KF throwing screens way too high and I agree that it is a problem, but the bubble screen he threw to T. Reed for a TD was perfect, and nobody seems to mention it.

They don't have the full offense in place, they have had barely enough practices to get the tempo down, so IMO it's WAAAAAAY too early to be saying things like "The two QBs from spring will start worst case scenario. "

Out of the four we know we will have, Jeremy Johnson will start. He has the better arm, hes an explosive runner, and he'a bigger.jmo

He's also the least experienced and needs to redshirt for a year. Look back through the various threads about this and find the last true freshman QB the successfully led his team through an SEC season. They are few and far between. It's never a good thing to bet against the norm.

Out of the four we know we will have, Jeremy Johnson will start. He has the better arm, hes an explosive runner, and he'a bigger.jmo

He's also the least experienced and needs to redshirt for a year. Look back through the various threads about this and find the last true freshman QB the successfully led his team through an SEC season. They are few and far between. It's never a good thing to bet against the norm.

+1

By the time A Day rolled around, they had practiced 12 times I think? While trying to get the new guys to learn the plays and teaching tempo. I never expected a huge turnaround by A Day, but we did see some good things from both QBs.

Everyone always complains about KF throwing screens way too high and I agree that it is a problem, but the bubble screen he threw to T. Reed for a TD was perfect, and nobody seems to mention it.

They don't have the full offense in place, they have had barely enough practices to get the tempo down, so IMO it's WAAAAAAY too early to be saying things like "The two QBs from spring will start worst case scenario. "

We can agree to disagree b/c i don't think it's way too early to be drawing strong conclusions on both QBs from spring. If it was way too early then why is Trickett visiting campus? Why is the majority of the fan base pinning hopes on a JC QB? All that sounds like more hoping, wishing, excuses for our QBs; hoping and praying they will all do a 360 in 4 months. Certainly your opinion to believe that but in the case of KF it was many peoples argument as to what will make him a better QB that he needed to be back in the system that made him an all american QB. It shouldn't be "too early" for him as he's played in Gus's offense since the 7th grade. KF is a Junior..that's more than 12 practices and to add he's even had practices under Gus before this year! lol.

If another team was in the same position we are in.....many people here would tell that team's fans to wake up and smell the coffee. Again...fine if you believe in JW or KF...you right but IMO i've seen anything to make me believe we'd be an 8 or 9+ win team with either of those QBs so i'm not going to "hype up" the situation just b/c i'm an Auburn alumni and fan; it is what it is and right now it's not a good situation. The coaches seem to think the same or we wouldn't have another QB visiting our campus this late in the QB process.

I've watched a few other schools spring game (TX A&M, Ole Miss, UGA, Bama, Miami, FSU) and in every spring game i've watched you can see "signs" that their QB play is very solid and when they do put in the total package their QBs will be up to par. I saw no such thing with either JW or KF. Players are going to show some sort of "signs" that when the complete package is put in they will flurish; that's why the QB is wide open b/c neither have show good enough "signs" they can operate the offense. We saw it from Garrett, the CBs and some other players...why not the QBs if we are so rock solid and good to go in that area. QB is the main position that should show signs but yet we have to keep waiting and waiting and waiting for them to "get it." Sorry but i'm ready to move on so yes i think JW or KF will be worst case senario.

The reason for this that a Junior SEC QB is expected to make that throw. As a KF fan I can feel your pain. But, I have to say that he shouldn't be having a problem with short flat passes and bubble screens at all, yet he does. Those passes should be second nature for him by now. He just had his best chance to take control of the job but it didn't happen and KF fans have to accept that reality.

He may still win the job but as I said before Spring practice began, if the situation in camp played out the way it did the job would be wide open. That is now the case. There is a totally different dynamic to 3 QB's trying to unseat the #1 QB who actually won the job in the Spring vs that of a wide open competition of 4 QBs that will begin on the same level. I am still pulling for him but may the best man win.

Archived