Article In USA Today This Morning About "The Hit"

JetaTek

Taken from http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...to-helmet_x.htm...

Helmet-to-helmet hits a concern

2004-11-15-inside-helmets.jpg

By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY

The crushing hit Georgia's Reggie Brown took last weekend at Auburn underscored the NCAA's concern with helmet-to-helmet tackles and will put that issue on the agenda when the football rules committee meets in February.

"This is something that is always a topic of discussion for us because of the safety issue," says Pittsburg (Kan.) State football coach and athletics director Chuck Broyles, the committee chairman. "We made it a point of emphasis before the 2003 season and will continue to talk about this (in February)."

Brown was knocked unconscious by a tackle from Auburn's Junior Rosegreen after a reception in the third quarter. Brown suffered a concussion and did not return to the game. He appears to have suffered no lasting damage and is expected to be back for Georgia's next game Nov. 27 against Georgia Tech.

But Brown's concussion follows the grievous injury suffered by Tennessee Tech receiver Drew Hixon after a helmet-to-helmet hit in a game in September at South Florida. Hixon, the son of Washington Redskins wide receivers coach Stan Hixon, sustained brain trauma and is being treated at a rehabilitation center in Virginia.

Broyles says rules specify what is not allowed in helmet tackles. Among things prohibited are using the helmet to butt or ram an opponent, spearing an opponent with the helmet and leading a tackle with the crown or top of the helmet.

"Intentional helmet-to-helmet contact is never legal, nor is any blow directed at an opponent's head," Broyles says. "It's not only a penalty, it's a disqualification."

But intent is where enforcement becomes tricky. Rosegreen was not penalized for the hit, and Southeastern Conference supervisor of officials Bobby Gaston and Georgia coach Mark Richt say they did not believe the tackle was malicious.

"I don't think there was any bad intention. I'm not complaining about it at all," Richt says. "I think it was just coincidental.

"It's a safety issue we all have to be concerned about, but I don't think it was intentional. I'm just thankful Reggie is fine."

Broyles says the NCAA has monitored how the NFL deals with helmet hits. The NFL will sometimes levy retroactive fines for hits that did not draw penalties when they happened.

"I don't think (the NCAA) could legislate that sort of penalty, but I think commissioners within their own conferences could," Broyles says.

Broyles says the rules committee will keep its focus on shielding players who cannot protect themselves.

"What we talk about is protection of the defenseless player: the pass receiver whose concentration is on the ball, the quarterback who has handed off, the kicker who is in a vulnerable position," Broyles says. "Those kind of hits have no place in the game.

"Making (helmet-to-helmet hits) a point of emphasis has helped, but we need to keep after it."

Come up with whatever rule you want, it's still not going to prevent accidental helmet-to-helmet collisions...this is a contact sport remember.

No mention of the hit 12 months ago against Courtney Talyor that was MUCH more dangerous and looked MUCH more deliberate.

I watched the hit about 20 times this morning and 1) Brown wasn't defenseless, his head was around and he had taken 2 steps. Defenseless is having your head turnded or being in mid-air. 2) There may have been helmet to helmet contact, but it was due to brown tensing up. Rosegreen was leading with his forearm and his helmet was on track to hit Brown between the numbers, not in the helmet.

I haven't commented on it to this point, b/c I hadn't had a chance to look at the play but once or twice, but it was not cheap, or illegal. It just looked brutal.

When Junior started his hit, Brown was at a point where Junior would hit him right about the shouldr pads, or the ball. When Brown came down, he tried to duck under Junior. Bad mistake. It was definitely coincidental. All who saw it saw that.

Come up with whatever rule you want, it's still not going to prevent accidental helmet-to-helmet collisions...this is a contact sport remember.

122508[/snapback]

I guess, in your opinion ALL AU helmet to helmet contact is accidental?

So the only way to get a flag thrown would be to take your helmet off and THROW it at an opposing player?

Whew.....Even though your post makes no sense, I am glad to see that you are back ! ! !

:D

Where is the Iron Bowl SMACK? :P:poke:

So the only way to get a flag thrown would be to take your helmet off and THROW it at an opposing player?

Huh? I made a very general statement about accidental helmet-to-helmet. A rule will not prevent that. When someone makes a malicious helmet-to-helmet hit, it's quite obvious and disqualification should be the end result. This one was not malicious as we've discussed to no end. Even Richt said he didn't think it was malicious...not sure why you're calling me out.

Huh? I made a very general statement about accidental helmet-to-helmet. A rule with not prevent that. When someone makes a malicious helmet-to-helmet hit, it's quite obvious and disqualification should be the end result. This one was not malicious as we've discussed to no end. Even Richt said he didn't think it was malicious...not sure why you're calling me out.

122589[/snapback]

Its Iron bowl week and he wants his butt-whipping early?

Evidently Bobby Gaston and Mark Richt do not know enough to make a judgement, and they've probably only looked at the hit about 100 times. We should leave the final judgement to a bammer.

I watched the hit about 20 times this morning

122514[/snapback]

How did you watch it? I've only been able to see it twice, once at the game and once on sportcenter the night of. Do you have it on your computer?

Probably has the game taped like I do. I have watched it several times and like said above, the way it looks to me is that Rosegreen is in the air and commited looking to lay that right shoulder into the guys chest, problem is that when Brown comes down and makes his turn he puts his head down and the helmets hit.

Archived