targeting

TastesLikeChicken

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He led with his forearms, but he went face mask to face mask. Definitely head to head contact. I don't like the holdover suspension, but it was the right call. The rule is the rule.

Well then, I have to agree. And it certainly was avoidable.

Watch the play again. It is exactly what the refs are looking for. the contact was above the shoulders and he launched to do it.

Guarantee u this will happen next week in the bama, aTm game, and it will NOT be called!!

If it happens it will be called. There is too much emphasis by the NCAA on it. Referees are told to error on the side of caution. If it is above the shoulders on a defenseless player it will be called.

Cant wait to see if it does get called, I just don't believe it will, maybe on aTm, but not bama!

If Richter is the ref don't count on it. I used to play bball with him over a decade ago and got him to admit bama & UGA were given preferential reffing by the SEC refs.

rule didn't exist til now though. Frost went too high. If he had hit him in the chest, or jumped for a deflection nothing would have happened.

I agree. He knew better and his helmet did hit the QBs. At least he will be fresh for the 2nd half of the MSU game.

Are you sure? I saw the replay on a very poor (streaming) picture and it looked to me like he hit the QB's shoulder pads with his forearms.

Considering the rule doesn't specify use of the helmet, I think it was a legitimate call, but the suspension for the first half of next week seems a little excessive for what he actually did.

There is no wiggle room in the rule. If the call is made, and upheld, the player is disqualified for the remainder of the game. If it occurs during the second half, it carries through the first half of the following game. If it happened with 0:01 left in Q2, KF would be on the field the first series next week.

I agree with the others in that it was a textbook case of targeting. He attacked from a coiled-leg position, and hit above the shoulders on a defenseless player. I hate to lose a good MLB as much as the next guy, but it was a legit call IMO. If it's not enforced equally across the board for all teams later on, I'll rethink my position.

I thought the. All was horrible. The reviews I saw he had his hands up and pulled back. He didn't even deliver a blow. At worst it was ruffing the passer and I would have argued that.

Watch the play again. It is exactly what the refs are looking for. the contact was above the shoulders and he launched to do it.

Guarantee u this will happen next week in the bama, aTm game, and it will NOT be called!!

If it happens it will be called. There is too much emphasis by the NCAA on it. Referees are told to error on the side of caution. If it is above the shoulders on a defenseless player it will be called.

Cant wait to see if it does get called, I just don't believe it will, maybe on aTm, but not bama!

If Richter is the ref don't count on it. I used to play bball with him over a decade ago and got him to admit bama & UGA were given preferential reffing by the SEC refs.

My point exactly!! Thank u for clarifying that for me!

rule didn't exist til now though. Frost went too high. If he had hit him in the chest, or jumped for a deflection nothing would have happened.

I agree. He knew better and his helmet did hit the QBs. At least he will be fresh for the 2nd half of the MSU game.

Are you sure? I saw the replay on a very poor (streaming) picture and it looked to me like he hit the QB's shoulder pads with his forearms.

Considering the rule doesn't specify use of the helmet, I think it was a legitimate call, but the suspension for the first half of next week seems a little excessive for what he actually did.

There is no wiggle room in the rule. If the call is made, and upheld, the player is disqualified for the remainder of the game. If it occurs during the second half, it carries through the first half of the following game. If it happened with 0:01 left in Q2, KF would be on the field the first series next week.

I agree with the others in that it was a textbook case of targeting. He attacked from a coiled-leg position, and hit above the shoulders on a defenseless player. I hate to lose a good MLB as much as the next guy, but it was a legit call IMO. If it's not enforced equally across the board for all teams later on, I'll rethink my position.

Yeah, I wasn't clear on that. I was hoping they could maybe "lighten the sentence" based on further review while letting the original call stand.

The rule is a good rule that is way past time. You as a fan mightr like the contact but for those that walk away with a concussion it is not good. I bet Frost would tell you it was a mistake on his part. He could have just as well stuck out his arms and made contact without a penalty or ejection. There will be no change on that decission, it was pretty clear cut, but it can be a training aid for the whole team.

The rule is a good rule that is way past time. You as a fan mightr like the contact but for those that walk away with a concussion it is not good. I bet Frost would tell you it was a mistake on his part. He could have just as well stuck out his arms and made contact without a penalty or ejection. There will be no change on that decission, it was pretty clear cut, but it can be a training aid for the whole team.

The replays I saw didn't show it that way. Fiost couldn't believe the call either. Was there a replay I didn't see. He put his arms up was late getti g there but was no helmet to helmet. Is there a replay I missed?

I thought the. All was horrible. The reviews I saw he had his hands up and pulled back. He didn't even deliver a blow. At worst it was ruffing the passer and I would have argued that.

I'm not sure which game you were watching or which replay you were watching. I don;;'t like it at all but the call was right according to the rule.

The replays I saw didn't show it that way. Fiost couldn't believe the call either. Was there a replay I didn't see. He put his arms up was late getti g there but was no helmet to helmet. Is there a replay I missed?

Helmet to helmet is only a part of the targeting rule. It doesn't have to be helmet to helmet for it to be a penalty that carries the ejection.

Archived