Question for our Bama friends

Tigermike

This year the strength of the UA football team was the Defense and the offensive line. You are loosing three starters on the OL and three very good starters on the defense. How do you predict the OL & D to be next year with these guys gone? Who do you expect to replace them? Thanks.

OFFENSE

Left Tackle - Wesley Britt, SR

Left Guard - Evan Mathis, SR

Right Guard - Danny Martz, SR

DEFENSE

Left Tackle - Anthony Bryant, SR

Left End - Todd Bates. SR

Middle Linebacker - Cornelius Wortham, SR

while this is a good question, I would be more interested in what you guys think the starting lineup for Auburn will be next fall

on defense we lose carlos rogers and junior rosegreen...both of whom are stars on this team...

linebackers and dline should be loaded...

on offense I guess it will be

qb booker or cox

rb Carl Stewart

rb Tre Smith

we have some big losses on O-line, but we also have some pretty good backups

All in all I think the big keys to the next season will be getting a QB, a corner and a safety to replace Campell, Rosegreen and Carlos rogers...granted the caddy and Ronnie brown will be missed...but Tre smith, carl and our stable of talent behind those guys will probably be pretty good given recent recruiting trends.

while this is a good question, I would be more interested in what you guys think the starting lineup for Auburn will be next fall

on defense we lose carlos rogers and junior rosegreen...both of whom are stars on this team...

linebackers and dline should be loaded...

on offense I guess it will be

qb booker or cox

rb Carl Stewart

rb Tre Smith

we have some big losses on O-line, but we also have some pretty good backups

All in all I think the big keys to the next season will be getting a QB, a corner and a safety to replace Campell, Rosegreen and Carlos rogers...granted the caddy and Ronnie brown will be missed...but Tre smith, carl and our stable of talent behind those guys will probably be pretty good given recent recruiting trends.

125851[/snapback]

I'll go out on a tiny limb and predict that Kenny Irons is our RB next year. As for the secondary: Pitts, Herring, Bell/Gandy, Irons

I think Cox will be better next fall than he was in mop duty this year. Give OCAB a spring with him and I think we'll all be pleased with him at QB. And isn't Booker more of a athletic QB than a pure passer?

I think Cox will be better next fall than he was in mop duty this year.  Give OCAB a spring with him and I think we'll all be pleased with him at QB.  And isn't Booker more of a athletic QB than a pure passer?

125858[/snapback]

I agree that Irons will see a lot of PT next year. I saw him play at SC and was impressed. I am also of the opinion that Tre will continue to improve and be a very good RB.

No one can replace Caddy and Ronnie, though.

From what I've seen of Kenny Irons, he will be No.1 RB. I think he has the best combination of power and speed, in the tradition of Williams and Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if Carl Stewart gets more time at FB than RB. He can run the ball, but he might be more valuable as a blocker and short yardage runner.

I was sold on Cox after the spring game, but he hasn't looked very good at all mopping up for Campbell this fall. I'm sure he will do better with first-string receivers, but the interceptions are disturbing. I think he has the arm strength and accuracy to potentially be a great QB, but I haven't seen much execution under pressure.

I'd like to hear more about Booker from those who have seen him practice. The coaches have praised his maturity and leadership.

I know there has been a solid rotation on the DL all season, but we are losing Eddins, Ratliff, and Langenfeld. Who is going to step up and take their place?

We only lose 2 starters on Defense: Cornelius Wortham and Todd Bates. Harper and Madison are both listed as seniors but will get another year, provided they stay on track academically.

Anthony Bryant currently doesnt start and is probably our 4th DT option.

Corn currently splits time with Freddie roach. Who I think is just as good. Freddie's backup, Terrence Jones is excellent as well. Todd Bates, while one of my favorites...is backed up by our current sack leader Gillberry.

We will be downright nasty in the secondary with everyone coming back. We will also have some solid depth if 4 star commit Chris Felder can contribute any.

Our 2-deep on d will be outstanding. We will start Garth, Roach, and Ryans at LB. Same secondary and same dline trade Bates for Gillberry.

Oline is another story. We have some guys returning who have been around a while...but havent had to contribute much. It will depend on how well redshirt freshmen BJ Stabler and Antoine Caldwell can do. (they were both highly touted incoming freshmen) But we thought the Oline would suck this year...so maybe we have some coaches who can get it done. we will see.

This year the strength of the UA football team was the Defense and the offensive line.  You are loosing three starters on the OL and three very good starters on the defense.  How do you predict the OL & D to be next year with these guys gone?  Who do you expect to replace them?  Thanks.

OFFENSE

Left Tackle - Wesley Britt, SR

Left Guard - Evan Mathis, SR

Right Guard - Danny Martz, SR

DEFENSE

Left Tackle  - Anthony Bryant, SR

Left End - Todd Bates. SR 

Middle Linebacker - Cornelius Wortham, SR

125830[/snapback]

Defensively I think we will be solid. Word is that there will not be any under classmen leaving (keeping fingers crossed). Wortham will be a big loss, but Freddie Roach will move back to the inside and Juwan Garth should be 100% by next fall. That will leave pretty much the same LB core. Our DL should also be solid, yes we lose Bryant, BUT he was not a huge factor this year on the line. Bates will hurt but we have some decent youngsters who came in a rested him and we did not see a drop off at all.

Now to the OL......yes this will be the key to how successful our season will be next year. Lossing Britt, Mathis and Martz is gonna hurt, but I have confidence in some of the guys that rested them this year. I have a feeling our center, JB Closner will be moved to LG and possibly Kyle Tatum moved from RT to LT. I either see Chris Capps or Von Ewing playing RT or even possibly a true Freshman. As far as center goes...my guess will either be BJ Stabler, who the staff is very high on or even Taylor Britt. I think with the blocking schemes that Coach Connelly has implemented (much like Denvers OL schemes) and with the speed of this "proposed" line we should do ok.....again keeping fingers crossed. If we can keep Brodie healthy and find someone to rest Darby, which I have read where Tim Castille wants to drop more weight and really work on his speed, we should be a "decent" team again......baring any injuries!

I guess I am a little more worried about who UAB has coming back than UAT...I mean who had the better record? the tide has definitely shifted to Birmingham and they are now our biggest rival in state

You are right on the money. Kids want to play for a winning team. UAB has a very good staff and will soon be competing with Auburn for the top recruits in state. :au:

p.s. I wonder, how is it that a very-very average player suddenly becomes "down right nasty" simply because he is one year older? :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Only in west al....... :big:

on bama, i think the defense is going to be a buzzsaw again next year or at least they should be. todd bates is one of the fan favorite guys that everyone loves but really if you're honest won't be THAT hard to replace. i'd equate him to a brett eddins. brett's a two year starter that gives his heart and soul on the field, but he'd be the first to admit he doesn't stack up physically to his backups (listen to his interview after the big sack against lsu... he's hilarious talking about how slow he is). the only thing i'd worry bout as a bama fan is demeco ryans actually finding out how good he is. if he does, he'll have one heck of a decision on his hands.

on auburn, i expect the secondary to look like this: rcb-pitts/gilbert, lcb-irons/ferguson, ss-bell/brock, fs-herring/gandy. that's just an educated guess b/c we've got a lot of guys who could step up and grab a spot in there. if anthony campbell proves he can play corner well, kevin hobbs may move back to free safety where he was running number two before irons got hurt. like i've said, we'll be deep, but they'll need time to gel.

on the line we'll be more athletic with mcclover, tj, wayne dickens, and groves starting, but the ends have to improve on rush defense. they just don't do it as well as eddins and langefeld. then you'll have marquis gunn (who could start over groves b/c he's a more balanced player right now) and chris browder as primary backups at end (plenty of room in the rotation for more folks). pat sims and neil brown should battle for the backup spot (and maybe starting job) at dt while josh thompson will backup tj again. i like the line rotations.

linebacker is set on the starting jobs with travis in the middle, antarrius on the outside, and kevin sears on the other spot. we've got karibi dede getting tons of pt and guys like kevis burnam waiting in the wings at middle linebacker. add to them rex sharpe and alonzo horton and possibly tray blackmon, eugene hayes, and ryan stamper (i think that's his name) and one of those studs is bound to provide depth at the other spot. they'll be good and fast again.

should be fun.

You are right on the money. Kids want to play for a winning team. UAB has a very good staff and will soon be competing with Auburn for the top recruits in state. :au:

p.s. I wonder, how is it that a very-very average player suddenly becomes "down right nasty" simply because he is one year older? :roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:

Only in west al....... :big:

125889[/snapback]

Id say...after 11 games, if you are the nation's #1 ranked pass defense....and you return everyone next year...that qualifies as downright nasty.

If our defense is very-very average...why did you not score for a whole half?

Roman Harper surely isnt very very average...neither is charlie peprah. What about sure to be all-sec freshman simeon castille? very very average? whatever.

i have a question. how many britts and castilles can possibly suit up for alabama in a 5 year span? i swear. those guys are spreading faster than baileys at uga.

I predict Croyle will be on crutches or has an arm in a sling by the 4th game. Croyle is pretty good, but he has not completed a season since his junior year in HS. (except his freshman year, and he only played mop up). Not knocking UA or Croyle. But you'll have to admit he's fragile and IMO, too small and injury prone.

Or Jacksons at Florida.  No matter how many Britts or Castilles they have, it still won't come close to the Goode brothers, Terry, Kerry, Larry, Barry, Mary.... :D

125909[/snapback]

I think the Goode clan actually have several more waiting to play for the bammers. There's Moe and Curly, Groucho, Zeppo, Zippo, Flippo, and Harpo.

Hey guys I have a suggestion. Every thread does not have to turn into a pissing contest to see who can get in the best jab against Bama. There are plenty of threads like that. Sometimes just talking football is not bad. I know that is hard for some, but just try sometimes. :big:

i was liking the discussion on who was leaving and how they were being replaced. i just asked the other question as a joke.

i was liking the discussion on who was leaving and how they were being replaced. i just asked the other question as a joke.

126011[/snapback]

I seriously doubt he was talking about you. The same people always seem to hop in and add nothing to the topic but a jab at bama. Although you and I have locked up on more than one occasion, I enjoy our arguements.

Two Castille's, three Britts and two Roachs. That's seven quality players that I'm very glad to have. I think it has seriously helped our recruiting during these down years to have these guys come to Bama.

Archived