Texas - Charlie Strong and, well, really?

AUTiger03

Was Gus our first choice? I heard he wasn't but look at how that turned out

I think Gus was the first choice of the powers that be at Auburn. In fact, I think now that he was strongly encouraged to leave after the 2011 season so that he would not be there for the inevitable implosion that most knowledgeable people saw was coming. Then Gus could get a year's experience as HC elsewhere before being brought back to Auburn.

If you recall there was a 'search committee' formed when Chizik was fired. Within days Gus was hired, meaning the 'search committee' probably never even met. I think the decision to hire Gus in 2012 was made in 2011.

You're incorrect there. The search committee was Mac Crawford, Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson. Crawford is a former AU player that heads an executive search firm. The other two need no introduction. They interviewed several candidates and selected Gus after the interviewing was done. At least that's what Pat and Bo said. I don't think either of them is a liar or would let his name be used in a deceptive situation.

Gus left of his own accord after the 2011 season because he couldn't run the offense the way he wanted to. There was no mysterious group pulling strings behind curtains.

Being a liar and feeding the media good PR type of quotes are two different things.

No...afraid not...perhaps to you..... but I think the committee took their task seriously and the thought that they would allow their names to be used as "good PR" is hard to imagine. Before you suggest that someone else is being deceptive you ought to know what you are talking about.

Was Gus our first choice? I heard he wasn't but look at how that turned out

I think Gus was the first choice of the powers that be at Auburn. In fact, I think now that he was strongly encouraged to leave after the 2011 season so that he would not be there for the inevitable implosion that most knowledgeable people saw was coming. Then Gus could get a year's experience as HC elsewhere before being brought back to Auburn.

If you recall there was a 'search committee' formed when Chizik was fired. Within days Gus was hired, meaning the 'search committee' probably never even met. I think the decision to hire Gus in 2012 was made in 2011.

You're incorrect there. The search committee was Mac Crawford, Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson. Crawford is a former AU player that heads an executive search firm. The other two need no introduction. They interviewed several candidates and selected Gus after the interviewing was done. At least that's what Pat and Bo said. I don't think either of them is a liar or would let his name be used in a deceptive situation.

Gus left of his own accord after the 2011 season because he couldn't run the offense the way he wanted to. There was no mysterious group pulling strings behind curtains.

Being a liar and feeding the media good PR type of quotes are two different things.

No...afraid not...perhaps to you..... but I think the committee took their task seriously and the thought that they would allow their names to be used as "good PR" is hard to imagine. Before you suggest that someone else is being deceptive you ought to know what you are talking about.

Most anything you hear in media, whether it be interviews, press releases, or anything of the sort every little thing is carefully calculated and, dare I say, "fake" to some extent. I've been on both sides of it before you make accusations of knowing what I'm talking about lol. Don't be that naive guy. You must have believed under Chizik we were having great practices every day, huh?

Quote: Most anything you hear in media, whether it be interviews, press releases, or anything of the sort every little thing is carefully calculated and, dare I say, "fake" to some extent. I've been on both sides of it before you make accusations of knowing what I'm talking about lol. Don't be that naive guy. You must have believed under Chizik we were having great practices every day, huh?

No, but when Mack, Bo and Pat stand up, together, and say they conducted interviews and selected Auburn's next head coach free of outside interference, I choose to believe them. Either you're calling them liars or you didn't watch them announce their decision. I hope it's the latter.

Not all the big boys in Texas are on board with this. Red McCombs, cofounder of Clear Channel, has publicly stated he doesn't think Strong is good enough to be HC.

I read what he had to say and it was ridiculous. He talked about the coaching hire like UT was one of the pro teams he has owned (he owned the Spurs and Vikings and others). Some of the big money donors like him have way too much of a sense of entitlement concerning their college of choice. DONATING money to a University is not the same thing as buying a pro franchise.

I see people comment all the time here regarding coaching in the NFL vs college. They say how bad it must be to have to coach the huge egos of the pro players. Well, in the NFL you only have one owner to answer too. At a place like UT a coach has probably a 1000 boosters that think they own the team. I can't imagine have to deal with those boosters. That's the unseen tough part of being a college coach.

Gus never had any intention of taking the Texas job. Zero....zero. Coach Strong will do well at UTA, Coach Malzhan will continue to do a phenomenal job at Auburn. I see Gus winning over 100 games as the HC for at least 12 or more years. The future for Auburn Football is the brightest in the SEC and nation.

If one cannot believe Mac, Pat, and Bo, who can you believe? Those 3 hold Auburn in the highest of esteem, and would never lie nor deceive anyone, especially for something as important as hiring a coach. They did their job supremely and honorably, and found the right man for the right job. My friends....this is a good as it gets!!!

The media is quick to point out that UT has had three highly ranked recruits decommit since Strong's hiring. What they fail to tell you is that this happens quite often with coaching changes. More often than not, the player signs with original team.

I agree. I think Saban was UT first choice but he backed out after word leaked his agent was talking to UT. I believe Briles was there second choice and when he declined they had to go backup mode. Now not knocking Strong. He is a decent coach, good recruiter and did some good things at Louisville.

Archived