Can this team win 20 more games?

We're going to find out what we're truly made of this weekend up in Knoxville. And that would give us 35 wins for the season...

The team is getting better and is responding to CSG.

I say Yes, we definitely can against this schedule

Note that Sunny has moved some players around lately.....some early season starters splitting time with new comers, Despite the bobble that could have cost us the game last night, overall defense has been better after that really bad three game stretch.

As to the question.....seems very possible....the team has 20 more home games and something like 33 overall remaining. They are playing well in AU and look good enough to win some road games too......plus SEC tournament.

It might be a good idea in the future to reference which sport you are talking about. I realize after reading it, it was about baseball. But this is a baseball/softball forum now, so some clarification in the thread title will help a lot.

It might be a good idea in the future to reference which sport you are talking about. I realize after reading it, it was about baseball. But this is a baseball/softball forum now, so some clarification in the thread title will help a lot.

Could be an issue...but I did the math after reading the OP.....and 20 more wins plus current wins equals 35 or so for baseball. The gals are already closing in on 30 and likely could end up winning 40-45 this season.

Both new coaches are off to a good start.

Y'know, I posted it before it added Softball. Figures!

This makes two Top 25 teams that Auburn has beaten in successive weeks in baseball. And are getting amazing starting pitching as well as very good play in the field.

Great start for Softball, two good come from behind wins. Worries me tho that they had the trouble with MSU. allybammer is the big girl team in the league still, right?

Y'know, I posted it before it added Softball. Figures!

This makes two Top 25 teams that Auburn has beaten in successive weeks in baseball. And are getting amazing starting pitching as well as very good play in the field.

Great start for Softball, two good come from behind wins. Worries me tho that they had the trouble with MSU. allybammer is the big girl team in the league still, right?

Florida, Tenn, Georgia, UK and Bama....might take a year or two to get to them....but meanwhile you have to beat the teams you play and 28 wins already is amazing. Nine SEC teams in the top 25 including AU...a rough league.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/softball/top-25-rankings

This baseball team could definitely get to 20 wins. 20 wins in this league would give us, now, at least 33 wins on the season, not including all the midweekers. It is not too far fetched that this auburn baseball team could win 40 games this season. Although that may be getting a little ahead of ourselves, it is exciting to think about that, and the real possibility Auburn could be hosting a regional at year's end with a little luck throughout the year. A sweep in Knoxville today would be huge

Going into the Sunday game at UT they are 13-2 in March. Next conference series is at home against a very mediocre Missouri team. After that, there are no easy conference wins. The western division of the SEC in baseball has become every bit as tough as their football counterparts.

I'm feeling, looking at the remainder of the schedule, 39 maybe 40 wins. South Carolina, even at home, will be a tall order.

If we can find a pitcher for Sundays, we have a chance to make some real noise

I'm feeling, looking at the remainder of the schedule, 39 maybe 40 wins. South Carolina, even at home, will be a tall order.

If we can find a pitcher for Sundays, we have a chance to make some real noise

Sundays in the SEC have always been the hitter's day. Unless our hitters improve a bunch we'll be very iffy on Sundays. It normally takes 8 or more runs to win on a Sunday.

How are you feeling about this team so far Mikey? Quite interested in your take.

The pitching has been surprisingly good and we've won a bunch of games because of that. Hitting needs help. They are getting better but Coach Sunny wasn't left with much to work with there. I DO NOT like all the bunting guys to third and getting thrown out on the bases stuff but he certainly knows his team better than any outsider does. My guess is he sees a problem with the weak hitting and hopes to manufacture runs with small ball.

My problem with the bunting is that every time you trade an out for a base, you also diminish the chance for a big inning. If it gets late in the game and one run looks important, that's different.

All in all, I'd have to say he's doing better than I thought he could with what he has to work with. Of course, the meat of the schedule is still ahead of us. We could all be thrilled or disappointed, depending on what happens from here on out. BUT>>>it's a big improvement over the past four years!

I agree with Mikey. I have noticed less bunting since the SEC has started but he's sticking with it until he can get more consistency from the lineup. That said, we are hitting .310 as a team and I can only hope we continue the climb with the bottom of our order.

Get a decent Sunday starter and this team could win 35-40 games.

I agree with Mikey. I have noticed less bunting since the SEC has started but he's sticking with it until he can get more consistency from the lineup. That said, we are hitting .310 as a team and I can only hope we continue the climb with the bottom of our order.

Get a decent Sunday starter and this team could win 35-40 games.

AU hitting (BA) is in the upper 1/3rd of conference but run production and power is severely lacking thus far. Can't speak to what other teams are doing but AU seems to be playing "smaller ball" than many other teams.....and JMO but it's been hard to tell from the games whether we actually have "weak hitting" or if the coach is just swapping bases for outs and by calling so many bunts is taking the bat out of the hitters' hands.

Some interesting stats on the season thus far:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/Baseball/2014/lgsumm.htm

And sorry folks but AU has not improved much on defense...still next to last in the SEC so far.....but last few games looked better.

Archived