Athlon's Top SEC Rushers for 2014

chimesAU

I hate to give Athlon any credit but since we don't even know for sure who our number one rusher will be next year how can you expect them to name one of our RB's as one of the top rushers in the SEC. Now if they had been smart they would have covered their basis and said that Auburn with 4 out of 5 returning O-Linemen, a great QB (NM) and a run first philosophy would probably produce one of the top rushers in the SEC but because Auburn doesn't know who that RB will be that they can't predict who it will be either

With two 600 yard backs and a 1,000 yard rushing QB returning, one would think that would at least warrant mention for one of our backs, even if we don't know who might be the primary ball carrier yet.

Auburn has produced at least one 1,000 yard rusher in each of the past five seasons, and a pair of them twice. There are two runners who topped 1,000 in two different seasons, but both of them were part of one of the dual thousand yard rushers in one of the two seasons, which means we have even had a DIFFERENT running back top 1,000 in each of the past five seasons.

There's a reason Auburn is Running Back U, and it ain't because we're light on ball carriers.

As long as there is no primary rusher, we're not gonna have a leading rusher. Its impossible to pick a starting RB right now as no one knows anything.

Ergo, don't be mad if we don't have the leading rusher. Gurley, Collins (eh), and Henry all will probably have a set starting job by Fall

As long as there is no primary rusher, we're not gonna have a leading rusher. Its impossible to pick a starting RB right now as no one knows anything.

Ergo, don't be mad if we don't have the leading rusher. Gurley, Collins (eh), and Henry all will probably have a set starting job by Fall

I see where you're going with that, but come on now...while we might not have THE leading rusher (and probably won't), we probably will have at least one back with 1,200, which would make him A top rusher in the league. Even if the carries are split between three running backs who each account for an equal share, this is an offense that ran for more than 4,000 yards last year, and returns four linemen as well as a now veteran dual threat QB...I suspect if there is no primary guy who steps up like Tre did last season, we're going to put three to four guys on the SEC's top 10 rushers.

I see where you're going with that, but come on now...while we might not have THE leading rusher (and probably won't), we probably will have at least one back with 1,200, which would make him A top rusher in the league. Even if the carries are split between three running backs who each account for an equal share, this is an offense that ran for more than 4,000 yards last year, and returns four linemen as well as a now veteran dual threat QB...I suspect if there is no primary guy who steps up like Tre did last season, we're going to put three to four guys on the SEC's top 10 rushers.

Once Malzahn throws a leading guy out there going in Arkansas, there probably will be revised lists

Wait now let's just be content we know who's gonna be good

Athlon & Lindy's are thin on insightful analysis and tend to evaluate positions without regard to surrounding cast (e.g. O lines). Our upperclass RBs are each great at somethings (up the gut CAP and catch me if you can Grant) but our all-around guys (Peyton, Roc et al) are young, untested and may make mental mistakes and/or lay the ball on the ground a couple times to the wrath of Gus (hey, it's a complicated O) so IMHO it was would surprising if any one back gets many carries this season.

To me, Athlon has missed big time on a consistant basis. They are not alone.

Not surprising.

We already know that we won't have clear cut rusher until the LSU game.

Archived