Explanation of Auburn's 4-2-5 defense

1TexasTiger

Explanation of Auburn’s 4-2-5 base defense

I wanted to try to explain the defense in a way that explains our current personnel and recruiting. I do not claim to be an expert in football however I have several years of playing as well as coaching experience from the youth and semi-professional level. I have studied and coached several defenses including the 4-3, 5-2, 3-4, 4-4, 3-3-5, 4-2-5. My primary coaching responsibility is defensive backs. I also played at Robert E.Lee in Montgomery under Jim Perry before he accepted the position on Tubs staff and Al Pogue who just left the staff was also my position coach.

Keep in mind these points:

The 4-2-5 defense is a safety focused defense.

- This defense relies on the versatility and speed of the safety position

-Auburn plays boundary/field set. This means the defense aligns to field. Boundary players on the short side of the field, while Field players to the wide side.

- We do not align to specific match-ups nor do we align to strongside weakside sets.

- The boundary players are generally better in run support while the field players are better in coverage.

- In our defense the line generally does not flip sides.

- The 4-2-5 is more about personnel than alignment.

- Two of the "DBs" in a 4-2-5 are basically glorified LBs (a base 4-2-5 looks a LOT like a 4-4) but with a major caveat: they are FAST. At its root a 4-2-5 is a fast and very strong defense.

- The 2 linebackers have extremely different roles.

Mike LB

- The Mike LB has to be a traditional inside linebacker that is a hole plugger. He cannot be timid in nature. (This was the question mark surrounding Jake Holland. He was a smart, on the field leader, however he lacked the grit to quickly plug holes. Kris Frost however was the exact opposite. He had the natural instincts but lacked the size and in game understanding until later in the year.)

- If you look at recruiting over the last couple years, we are looking for that mold of player.

Cameron Toney – 6’3” 225lbs

Deshuan Davis – 6’0” 224lbs

Tre Williams – 6’2” 217+lbs

Kenny Flowers - 6'2" 225lbs

- The job of the Mike is to be able to take on blocks from Guards, Centers, or Fullbacks and plug the hole of attack. He is usually responsible for the A gap (gap between the center and guard) opposite the NT.

Will LB

- This player is a versatile and athletic LB. He will normally lead the team in tackles. The more he can do the better your defense will be. Size is not necessarily the point here as much as good instincts and tackling skills. He usually matches up with the QB in the zone read or the best athlete in the backfield.

- This is why Kris Frost is the perfect person on the roster for this job. He has the intangibles like speed, agility, and instinct. If we can develop a viable gap fitting Mike who can align everyone and free up Kris Frost to be 5 star athlete he is then that make the defense better.

- Recruiting hasn’t focused on this position because of the need to find the viable Mike. But hopefully with the incoming talent you should see more of a focus on the Will position in recruiting. (Notice our major LB targets are all highly rated OLB’s. Holland, Smith, McBryde, McMillon)

The DB’s

- Personnel, Personnel, Personnel!!!! You can look at this in 3 ways.

1. If you are a base Cover 3 team, then you are in essence playing 5 safeties. The corners and the Field or Free Safety will divide the field into deep thirds. While the Boundary Safety and Star play underneath or provide run support this look like OLBs but with a lot more speed. (This is the point of contention)

2. If your Base is Cover 1 then you are playing 2 shut down corners in man coverage, one fast rangy Field/Free Safety and the Boundary Safety and Star have the same responsibilities as in the cover 3.

3. Or in short yardage you can play basically a 4-4 defense for size but less speed.

- This defense is not sound in a cover 2 or cover 4. You can do it but the alignment is off and it puts players in bad starting positions.

- This is why you have seen our recruiting gravitate more toward safeties. We are recruiting players that play the OLB in high school but have the size and speed of safeties.They understand the position of the LB traditional OLB but can play further away from the ball as a safety would. (Atkinson, Sullivan, Colbert) Remember it’s about versatility.

One thing Ellis Johnson said when he got to AU was that you will not see us have classes with 4+ LB’s. We will consistently recruit 2 and sometime 3 LBs. But you could see us sign 5 to 7 DB’s (2014 - 6 DB’s, 2015 – 5 already committed with us looking for another corner and another safety.)

Sorry for any typos and I hope this helps.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About right. I like that we run the 4-2-5 and as we get the right people, it will only get better.

About right. I like that we run the 4-2-5 and as we get the right people, it will only get better.

Given that I am a female, never played football, and normally view it as a brutal ballet from the upper deck, you did a great job explaining the defense! I am still a little fuzzy on the roles and strategies, so I'll probably stick with the dance analogy. But I will say, I have learned a lot about football from this site!!! I've impressed a few people along the way, thank to you guys! lol

I've always liked the 4-2-5 and the aggressiveness you can get with the right personnel. It'll be nice to get those prototypical safeties for the 4-2-5 on the field here shortly.

No problem!!!! I believe once we get the proper personnel, we will all be satisfied with the on the field product. My guess is we are so much closer than most think.

That 4-2-5 defense gave up big plays which in turn gave up lots of yards and a lot of points during 2013. Our defense couldn't hold them in the final 13 seconds. Cause if had, we could have won our 2nd national championship in 3 years.To come that close and lose still gets under my skin.

That 4-2-5 defense gave up big plays which in turn gave up lots of yards and a lot of points during 2013. Our defense couldn't hold them in the final 13 seconds. Cause if had, we could have won our 2nd national championship in 3 years.To come that close and lose still gets under my skin.

2nd in 4 years. Was the problem the defensive scheme, the play calls, the experience of the players in the scheme, or their talent? If our offense made less mistakes, we still would have won.

More! More! Perhaps we could have other explanations like this pinned somewhere. I've been watching for years, but I have little understanding of these concepts. I just watch the ball and have fun.

Now if Mikey could just summarize the 0-11-0 defense that would also be helpful.

:poke:/>

Actually, it was 4-4-5.

Now if Mikey could just summarize the 0-11-0 defense that would also be helpful.

:poke:/>

Actually, it was 4-4-5.

Should've used that set in the final drive vs FSU...

Helpful, informed thread, thanks. My personal opinion is the 4-2-5 is too sophisticated for most sub-pro level players, especially underclassmen, and it's even flawed in concept because, as noted in the original post "(it does) not align to specific match-ups nor do we align to strongside weakside sets". That's not realistic in many instances against specific offensive personnel. Kelvin Benjamin says hello. "The 4-2-5 is more about personnel than alignment". Mismatch heaven for some offensive plays. But more than anything else, 4-2-5 requires athletic response and recognition by the players themselves which is, again, more sophisticated than the vast majority of college players. Fine for the NFL though.

I think 'ole Ellis HAD to use the 4-2-5 at one point because of particular personnel strengths & weaknesses at South Carolina and when it worked okay (not great, but okay) he went with it as his signature D.

No mistakes like Chris Davis taking a bad angle and running into his teammate to give FSU a 49 yd pass to put them in game winning position is the reason why we didn't hold them.

Remember, going into the fourth quarter Auburn's 4-2-5 defense held the best offense in the country to 13 points. Nick Marshall throws a crucial interception which FSU capitalized on to make the score 21-20. On the next drive the offense couldn't get into the end zone so we kicked a field goal. 24-20 with just over 4 minutes left in the game. What happens next...?? The 100 yd kick return because Jonathan Jones pulls a hamstring and Brandon King (not sure) gets out of his lane to try to cover both lanes. 27-24. Tre Mason put us back on top with a great run and with a minute left in the game and FSU needing to go 80 yds the Chris Davis mistake happens.

Now my question becomes what was wrong in the defensive scheme?

Helpful, informed thread, thanks. My personal opinion is the 4-2-5 is too sophisticated for most sub-pro level players, especially underclassmen, and it's even flawed in concept because, as noted in the original post "(it does) not align to specific match-ups nor do we align to strongside weakside sets". That's not realistic in many instances against specific offensive personnel. Kelvin Benjamin says hello. "The 4-2-5 is more about personnel than alignment". Mismatch heaven for some offensive plays. But more than anything else, 4-2-5 requires athletic response and recognition by the players themselves which is, again, more sophisticated than the vast majority of college players. Fine for the NFL though.

I think 'ole Ellis HAD to use the 4-2-5 at one point because of particular personnel strengths & weaknesses at South Carolina and when it worked okay (not great, but okay) he went with it as his signature D.

The one thing you may be missing in your analysis is if this defense is based off personnel then did Auburn in its first year under Johnson have the personnel to be a great defense.

Sabans defense is complex. This defense is not so much. It is an easy scheme for the DLine because you play your side. LDE technique and responsibilities are different than RDE's. The most complex responsibilities belong to the safeties. That's where we constantly got beat last year. Ryan White and Ryan Smith where more often than not out of position. Whitehead was Ok not good or great. If the safeties in this defense aren't top of the line then we will not be successful. That is why you have seen us focus hard on safeties in recruiting.

The most complex responsibilities belong to the safeties. That's where we constantly got beat last year. Ryan White and Ryan Smith where more often than not out of position. Whitehead was Ok not good or great. If the safeties in this defense aren't top of the line then we will not be successful. That is why you have seen us focus hard on safeties in recruiting.

I would imagine this puts a steeper learning curve on the safeties as well. If that's the case, the second year in the system should be significantly improved.

The most complex responsibilities belong to the safeties. That's where we constantly got beat last year. Ryan White and Ryan Smith where more often than not out of position. Whitehead was Ok not good or great. If the safeties in this defense aren't top of the line then we will not be successful. That is why you have seen us focus hard on safeties in recruiting.

I would imagine this puts a steeper learning curve on the safeties as well. If that's the case, the second year in the system should be significantly improved.

Bingo!! Plus the added size of Moncrief at boundary Safety and Garrett coming back.

Thanks for posting this. It is a simple and straightforward look at the defense and the information contained within appears to be pretty accurate. I know others have done similar and more in depth breakddowns of the defense. I think something cool would be to have this or another breakdown Pinned for quick reference. I also wouldn't mind seeing a thread where all who wants takes a stab at breaking down the AU defense are collected in to 1 place. Have it locked except for people to post their overall breakdown of the 4-2-5 (no comments like I like/hate 4-2-5). I'm sure there are competing views as to what is the goal and responsibilities for the players so I would enjoy reading the competing views. Then we regular folk can have an open thread to discuss the differences people posted and how our personel fits and who we think is most accurate based on seeing the team play. I enjoy discussing the nuances of the game during the summer when there is little else to talk about.

More on topic with this thread I just want to say that the 4-2-5 is currently my favorite D in college football. I was very excited to see us go to this when Ellis was hired. One of the reasons is this defense is built to stop spread attacks which I feel are only becoming more prevalent in college football and will continue to do so. Spread teams kill the opposition with speed and this defense is the pefect counter for that. I also love the flexibility of this defense in that it can easily shift from a run stopping D to a pass stopping D as long as you have a versatile player to fill the "star" role.

Another not so obvious advantage this defense gives us is that it does not require a large number of LBs. Why is that good you ask? Because saban is apparently the pied piper of LBs and hoards them like trolls hoard shiney things. So instead of going head to head with Saban on trying to get these LBs this defense allows us to focus on DBs and we only have to get 1 or 2 solid LB prospects per year. Not that I don't think we can beat saban in recruiting but why go through them if you can go around them right? This is the same reason I loved seeing us go to Malzahn's offense. It just provides us a better nich as it doesn't require us to go against bama for all the players where we would be at a disadvantage since they are the state school and the we are not invisible to the NCAA like they are.

Archived