Top 4 CFP Teams

RunInRed

Problem is....this is just first game speculation...by the end of November, AU, UGa, TAMU and Bama will have played enough conference games to reduce those four down to no more than two. ...so for now, it's just an early season ego trip.

I really would like to know how UGA looked so much better "dominating" Clemson 45-21 (tied at the half 21-21) than Auburn merely beating Arkansas 45-21 (also tied 21-21 at the half). Considering that Gurley accounted for 4 of their touchdowns single-handedly, I would begin thinking they are more one-dimensional.

It never makes sense. Sometimes it seems as if the criteria varies from team 1 through 25.

Boyd, Watkins, etc..brought a lot offense and a lot of wins to Dabo the past 3 seasons, and they aren't easily replaceable. Not to mention their first ACC title in 30 years.

Supposedly their ranking was justified from personnel returning on defense...a defense that's only dominant within the ACC. All except for getting throttled like a homecoming opponent in your own backyard.

It never makes sense. Sometimes it seems as if the criteria varies from team 1 through 25.

Boyd, Watkins, etc..brought a lot offense and a lot of wins to Dabo the past 3 seasons, and they aren't easily replaceable. Not to mention their first ACC title in 30 years.

Supposedly their ranking was justified from personnel returning on defense...a defense that's only dominant within the ACC. All except for getting throttled like a homecoming opponent in your own backyard.

I despise pre-season rankings, as there is no objective standard for determining the impact of the departure of players, or the impact of their replacements. A better conclusion can be formed after a few games, but after game one you have no real idea about even the caliber of the sole opponent any team defeated. For all we know, Clemson could be complete rubbish. As an Auburn man, I'm not even ready to pencil us in for anything based on game one, if I'm being objective.

Ultimately, the same thing that led to us being shafted in 2004 is still alive and well, even after pre-season polls. USC and Oklahoma started off #1 and 2, and they never lost against a schedule that never really challenged them. That has always bothered me, whether it affected us or not.

FSU, OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, and Oregon almost dont get challenged this year. We could have 5-6 teams undefeated going into week nine.

The Best Team in America could have a loss by the end of season.

I still think we will play either Bama or UGA twice this year.

FSU, OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, and Oregon almost dont get challenged this year. We could have 5-6 teams undefeated going into week nine.

With humans being involved, I really do not see a SEC-SEC game at any point during the playoffs. I also think it would be an injustice for one to get in, as I've long thought one should be a conference champion before getting any sniff at all at the national championship. If a team fails to win their division, or loses the SEC Championship Game, they do not belong in the playoff. They already failed to assert their worthiness.

I despise pre-season rankings, as there is no objective standard for determining the impact of the departure of players, or the impact of their replacements. A better conclusion can be formed after a few games, but after game one you have no real idea about even the caliber of the sole opponent any team defeated. For all we know, Clemson could be complete rubbish.

Nothing was better than the timing of the release of the BCS poll in the 2nd weekend of October. By then, a good sample size of data existed to rank the teams with the formulas input, and somewhat help weed out the pretenders in conference play who layer their September slates with cream-filled Debbie Cakes.

I despise pre-season rankings, as there is no objective standard for determining the impact of the departure of players, or the impact of their replacements. A better conclusion can be formed after a few games, but after game one you have no real idea about even the caliber of the sole opponent any team defeated. For all we know, Clemson could be complete rubbish.

Nothing was better than the timing of the release of the BCS poll in the 2nd weekend of October. By then, a good sample size of data existed to rank the teams with the formulas input, and somewhat help weed out the pretenders in conference play who layer their September slates with cream-filled Debbie Cakes.

True enough. It's why I'm not ready to predict A&M or UGA for anything. We do not currently know enough about how good South Carolina or Clemson may be. For that matter, Arkansas could go 3-9 again. From week one we can infer very little.

With humans being involved, I really do not see a SEC-SEC game at any point during the playoffs. I also think it would be an injustice for one to get in, as I've long thought one should be a conference champion before getting any sniff at all at the national championship. If a team fails to win their division, or loses the SEC Championship Game, they do not belong in the playoff. They already failed to assert their worthiness.

This is about $$$ and the matchups would mean money...

This is about $$$ and the matchups would mean money...

It is ultimately about $$$, but there are still humans in the equation instead of computers, and there are more than four major conferences involved. I have a difficult time imagining the panel let a one or two loss SEC runner up get by a one or two loss Big 12, Big 10, PAC-12, or ACC champion and into the playoffs. Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong, but I also don't think it's just. It's the same logic that would have pitted us against Bama in the Rose Bowl last year, instead of FSU. I've always thought that a rematch was rubbish for a national championship, unless there is absolutely no other team to put in their place.

I would be surprised if it's anything other than the four "best" of the big 5 conference champions at the end of the day.

SEC Champ

PAC12 Champ

Probably ACC Champ

And either Big 10 or Big 12 Champ

That's my thinking as well. Especially this being the first year of they playoff, I think the committee will do everything they can to keep 2 teams from one conference out. That said, if for example, Auburn and Alabama are both undefeated going into the Iron Bowl, and it goes down to the last second and/or ends on a "fluke" play (sound familiar?), there would be a pretty strong argument for putting the loser in as the #4 team.

I think we will eventually end up with an 8-team playoff. Like the basketball tournament, every major conference champ gets an automatic bid, with 3 "at large" teams making room for a deserving 2nd SEC or PAC12 team and the occasional undefeated mid-major. Unfortunately, I don't think this will come about before the current contract expires (I think it was a 12 year deal).

I know that this is not exactly the right place for it, but if (*ahem* when *ahem*) I rule the world, the first thing I will do is implement a 6 team college football playoff. Why 6? It's very simple.

5 P5 conference winners (SEC, ACC, PAC12, BIG12, BIG10) + the top ranked non AQ team (I.e. Non P5 conference), all ranked according to a set of computer algorithms with 1 human poll. #1 and #2 get a bye week for the first week of the playoffs. Then, the schedule will be:

ROUND 1:

3 vs 6 (Produces Winner #1)

4 vs 5 (Produces Winner #2)

ROUND 2:

1 vs Winner #2 (Produces Winner #3)

2 vs Winner #1 (Produces Winner #4)

Championship Game: Winner #3 vs Winner #4

You could also have consolation games for 3rd-6th to determine a final Top 6 for the year, and more football = more money for sponsors and more exposure for the kids! as well as more enjoyment for the viewer. You'd also have to win your conference to be in the championship game, and all P5 conferences would be required to have a conference championship game (looking at you BIG12).

Archived