Tim Cook: "I'm Proud to be Gay"

RunInRed

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you addressing me homer? You used some of my quotes, so if you don't understand what I mean, I will explain.

I was addressing your statements, and their meaning is pretty clear.

What do you "think" that I mean?

The reason they have to announce it, is that they need support for their decision, and they need others in this area to tell them it is okay to be that way.

Support for what decision?

There are hundreds upon hundreds of other gay people that don't have to announce it because they are comfortable with who they are. Read into that what you will.

That implies to me that if one is "comfortable" with their sexuality there is no need to announce it. Likewise, the implication is that if someone is not "comfortable" with their sexuality, they have a need to announce it.

Neither of those suppositions apply here, much less being generally true. It doesn't even make any logical sense.

But then, you gave us permission to "make of it what we will". ;)

What decision?

The decision to announce it.

And yes, that is true on the second quote. People that are comfortable with who they are do not need validation from anyone. If that weren't true, then you would have thousands of pressers every day. I know this because, I have gay friends that have told me this. It's not my opinion, it comes from true gay people that are sick of these coming out parties because it, and again this is from gay people that I know personally, sets their journey to acceptance back because it portrays them as a militant group instead of people trying to live peacefully.

Again, this is not my opinion. This comes from actual gay people.

So Cook felt he had to announce it in order to get support for announcing it. That doesn't even make sense logically.

And Cook is not comfortable with who he is, so he announced it to feel better about himself. Right. :-\

This doesn't have anything to do with self-acceptance or being comfortable with who he is. His statements clearly show that. You are trying to make this into some sort psychological issue with him and other public figures who do this, which is ridiculous.

Perhaps the day will come when no one takes any notice of one's sexuality, but we aren't there yet. This is no different from Michael Sam. If it's inevitable that someone in the media will reveal the truth to the general public (people who would otherwise have no reason to know) then it's better to just get it out on your own terms. It avoids the impression that you might be ashamed to have it known.

I am sure that was what Cook did.

And your gay friends are likely not famous enough to be subject to a third party "revelation". That's why they don't feel a need to make a public announcement. If they claim otherwise they are just kidding themselves.

Like I said, Cook doesn't owe anyone anything other than to do his job and put out a great product. Controversy doesn't breed acceptance, it encourages resentment.

Like I said, Cook doesn't owe anyone anything other than to do his job and put out a great product. Controversy doesn't breed acceptance, it encourages resentment.

Who said he owed anyone anything?

And what exactly is controversial? If folks resent him for being gay, that sounds like all the more reason for him to announce it.

And what exactly is controversial? If folks resent him for being gay, that sounds like all the more reason for him to announce it.

You obviously do not under the psychology of human nature.

You obviously do not under the psychology of human nature.

And you are obviously over-analyzing.

What I find interesting is that so far I have not seen ONE SINGLE POST, here or on any other site, where Tim Cook has been bashed and lied about and called hate-filled. I have not seen ANYONE say that Apple products should be boycotted.

Does anyone else find it interesting that when Dan Cathy says "We believe in the Biblical definition of marriage" that the world goes bat**** crazy, but when Tim Cook makes his comments the supposed right-wing Christian wackos don't say anything negative? It sure makes me wonder who the intolerant people really are. I just find the double standard to be interesting.

Now, that is an interesting view. Why all the shrillness against CFA?

Archived