Still in the mood to prove!

Tigermike

AU still in mood to prove

Tigers go back to practice with focus on Sugar Bowl

Friday, December 17, 2004

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - Travis Williams was called on to prove himself when he signed as a little-known linebacker from Columbia, S.C. The University of South Carolina, a short drive from his house, wasn't interested. Auburn was.

He was called on to prove himself again when, at 212 pounds, he moved from outside linebacker to middle linebacker at the start of two-a-days last August.

Auburn's defense was called on to prove itself when five starters among the front seven finished their eligibility last season and four went on to the NFL.

The results: Auburn went 12-0 for the first time in school history, won the Southeastern Conference championship, led the nation in scoring defense and Williams was a first-team All-SEC selection by league coaches and by the Associated Press.

As the No. 3 Tigers returned Thursday to begin preparations for their Sugar Bowl showdown against No. 9 Virginia Tech (10-2) at the New Orleans Superdome on Jan. 3, there was still more to prove.

No. 1 Southern California and No. 2 Oklahoma will play in the Orange Bowl for the Bowl Championship Series title. No. 3 Auburn was left out.

"Every time we step on the field we are proving something," Williams said. "Right now, we look at ourselves as the people's champion. Everybody wants to see Auburn in it, but we're not in it. We have to prove to the people we should be, but we have to respect Virginia Tech. They are going to want to prove they are a pretty good team also.

"Whatever happens, this whole year proves we are a good team. We aren't going to go in with pressure to beat Virginia Tech.

"Personally, I think they should have beaten USC and they missed a field goal to beat North Carolina State. This is our championship."

Williams proved himself as the smallest middle linebacker in the SEC if not all of Division I-A. He led the team in tackles with 76, had nine tackles for losses, two sacks and two interceptions. Making All-SEC topped it off.

"That was a big accomplishment, just to be able to say 'I told you so,' " Williams said. "I read the Internet and go on the message boards. A lot of people were concerned about my size and were doubting me.

"The All-SEC thing was because of T.J. (Jackson), Jay Ratliff, Stump (Josh Thompson), Wayne (Dickens) and the whole d-line keeping guys off me and letting me run. Without those guys in front of me, I wouldn't have made all-conference."

Williams and his teammates went to work still believing they can win a share of the national championship.

Though the BCS champion automatically is No. 1 in the coaches' poll, the Associated Press voters are free to vote as they choose.

Williams says the disappointment of being passed over has been dealt with.

"We are privileged and thankful," Williams said. "A lot of teams want to be where we are."

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said after practice Thursday that there was no BCS hangover.

"Everybody's spirits are up," Tuberville said. "Obviously, we are a little bit disappointed on where we were ranked, but we can't control that.

"The guys have handled it well."

It was just what offensive coordinator Al Borges expected.

"It never even came up," Borges said.

"They practiced the same way they always practice, and they are going to play the same way in the game."

LINK

Archived