5.5 % unemployment

aubfaninga

"listening"??? The proof is in the pudding.

I nor AUUSN have made any comments on how we feel about these numbers. I just have shared facts and you guys :realmad:

Noted but the fact remains none of those numbers actually reflect employment in the current economy and some have come in here spiking the football breaking into their celebration dance over this propaganda,.

:laugh: That's great!

The same statistics that have always been generated suddenly become "propaganda" when Obama is president. :roflol:

These must be the same kind of people that believe those emails that come saying someone in Africa is giving you several million dollars.

Right.

Who in their right mind is going to simply accept the same independent statistic that has always been generated as accurate?

If it's positive, it just can't be. Obama is president.

Now, bad news would be totally different. That would be believable. :-\

We are experiencing a fundamental shift in both the value of, and the demand for, labor, primarily due to globalization and technology. In the long run, I doubt the ultimate solution fits very neatly into anyone's political ideology.

In my opinion, the significance of these numbers is merely used for political means. The numbers may indicate our ability to mask the real problem but, they are not very effective in terms of how we are actually dealing with it (at least right now).

If the true unemployment rate was 5.5% this economy would be roaring along instead of sputtering, almost dead in it's tracks. Wages would be up and we wouldn't have all these underemployed or part time people. You can spin and twist all you want but the fact remains that there are an awful lot of people that want to work or want to work a better job that is suited to their skills or just work full time and can't.

To put a little finer point on that; there are 93 million of them

AUsome! Too bad close to 60% of Americans (according to polling date) don't even feel the uptick. I'd be happy if it weren't just more BS and suspect math, but it's better than nothing.

To top it off we've got close to 50 million people on food stamps. That is not a sign of a healthy, robust economy.

Bingo!!!

The Secretary of Labor said tonight that we easily could knock at least 0.5 points on the reported rate if we simply did the same things we have done in the past - in a bipartisan way - to stimulate the economy such as investing in infrastructure.

There was a lot of good stuff on tonight's show.

In particular the segment on ex Marines living in DaNang helping the Vietnamese with the aftereffects of the war. I was inspiring. I plan to investigate how to contribute to such efforts.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/

The Secretary of Labor said tonight that we easily could knock at least 0.5 points on the reported rate if we simply did the same things we have done in the past - in a bipartisan way - to stimulate the economy such as investing in infrastructure.

There was a lot of good stuff on tonight's show.

In particular the segment on ex Marines living in DaNang helping the Vietnamese with the aftereffects of the war. I was inspiring. I plan to investigate how to contribute to such efforts.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/

Narcissist!

AUsome! Too bad close to 60% of Americans (according to polling date) don't even feel the uptick. I'd be happy if it weren't just more BS and suspect math, but it's better than nothing.

Witout the fuzzy math all that remains are more golf outings and fundraisers for the obedient sheep.......

Smokescreen

You talkin to me?

Did I say "homer"? No! But if it fits.......

We are experiencing a fundamental shift in both the value of, and the demand for, labor, primarily due to globalization and technology. In the long run, I doubt the ultimate solution fits very neatly into anyone's political ideology.

In my opinion, the significance of these numbers is merely used for political means. The numbers may indicate our ability to mask the real problem but, they are not very effective in terms of how we are actually dealing with it (at least right now).

I agree. That's why I say BS on these reports. Half truths to fit a narrative.

The labor force participation rate is predicted to keep declining over the next 10 years despite the economy to improve. Glad some have beat this measure into my head since I will use it in the future.

Labor force propaganda...

http://qz.com/286213...ruth-behind-it/

Obamacare propaganda as well from the same writer...

http://qz.com/356835...care-inflation/

Even more propaganda numbers that is skewed to make Democrats look better

Nasdaq 4927.37 (March of 2009 1265.52)

S&P 500 2071.26 (March of 2009 676.53)

Dow Jones 17856.78 (March of 2009 6600)

PRN-11%.......

The unemployment rate for vets is 6.7%. I guess it could be worse but it sure needs to be improved. I saw an interview this morning with a female Marine vet talking about how hard it is to find a job when you get home (from Afghanistan in her case).

The labor force participation rate is predicted to keep declining over the next 10 years despite the economy to improve. Glad some have beat this measure into my head since I will use it in the future.

Labor force propaganda...

http://qz.com/286213...ruth-behind-it/

Obamacare propaganda as well from the same writer...

http://qz.com/356835...care-inflation/

Even more propaganda numbers that is skewed to make Democrats look better

Nasdaq 4927.37 (March of 2009 1265.52)

S&P 500 2071.26 (March of 2009 676.53)

Dow Jones 17856.78 (March of 2009 6600)

All of that from the stock market is due to one thing, QE. We've had three rounds of that so far. The goverment printed a bunch of money and essentially gave it to the wall street crowd. Also he's encouraged the very thing that led to the housing crash. He's "encouraged" banks to lend money for housing to people who aren't qualified to get a loan for home. They'll default just like the last bunch and, just like last time, the banks won't be allowed to foreclose on the property. He's done absolutley nothing to increase jobs. The biggest job growth came in the energy sector. That was due in large part to fracking, something he definitely does not like. He didn't stop it but he had nothing to do with it. The energy companies saw an opportunity due to market forces and made it happen. He's gotten everything he's wanted. The republicans, for all their bluster, cave every time. Whatever he wanted to do, he's done it with no true opposition. Here we are 6 years into the administration and yet this is the best we can do. The full effects of Obamacare haven't hit yet. Now he's talking about raising taxes by executive order. Yeah that's a great way to jumpstart the economy, take more money out of the private sector and put in the hands of the government.

B_drlDoWAAEIuTC.jpg

If today's unemployment number had the same formula as the GW Bush admin, it would be 13.3%.

B_drlDoWAAEIuTC.jpg

If today's unemployment number had the same formula as the GW Bush admin, it would be 13.3%.

Of course, when reality doesn't reflect your messaging change the criteria. The consumer price index is another source of propaganda. Traditionally it has been made of a basket of goods and services that virtually everyone purchases. The assortment of goods and services were changed and accordingly, insurance costs, grocery costs, education costs and energy coasts were removed from the basket.....thats how this admin arrives at a near zero rate of inflation.

B_drlDoWAAEIuTC.jpg

Of course, when reality doesn't reflect your messaging change the criteria. The consumer price index is another source of propaganda. Traditionally it has been made of a basket of goods and services that virtually everyone purchases. The assortment of goods and services were changed and accordingly, insurance costs, grocery costs, education costs and energy coasts were removed from the basket.....thats how this admin arrives at a near zero rate of inflation.

Do you have a link? I am aware of a recent methodology change but, it just went into effect? Are you talking about the Fed computation or the BLS model?

B_drlDoWAAEIuTC.jpg

Do you have a link? I am aware of a recent methodology change but, it just went into effect? Are you talking about the Fed computation or the BLS model?

Lots of info here. it does mention the change but not to the degree that I stated. The basket of goods and services was changed but I cant remember where I read it so if you prefer you can call me a liar. Its cool. :bow:

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpinewest.htm

B_drlDoWAAEIuTC.jpg

Lots of info here. it does mention the change but not to the degree that I stated. The basket of goods and services was changed but I cant remember where I read it so if you prefer you can call me a liar. Its cool. :bow:

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpinewest.htm

I would never call you a liar unless, I am certain you are lying.

If my understanding of the recent changes are correct, the model now allows for the "substitution" of goods and somehow weighted based on the economic definition of "elasticity". So far, the information available from BLS does not offer enough detail. However, I do agree with the spirit of your comment. I believe there is a manipulation involved. IMO, this is not about a better model. There just is not enough info available to figure out how. Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

Archived