Saudis Launch Airstrikes Against Yemen

Proud Tiger

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did Yemen do to piss them off ? :gofig:

Heard some talk of this earlier, but I thought it was just noise, and hyperbole. And then, this happens.

Shep reports that the WH STILL claims Yemen to be a model of success against terrorism.

Folks, is the President even sane ?

Heard some talk of this earlier, but I thought it was just noise, and hyperbole. And then, this happens.

They don't want the rebels to win, they're part of the empire!!!

They don't want the rebels to win, they're part of the empire!!!

Unfortunately, the Empire in this case isn't the bad guy. Not the good guy, but there are no cute Ewoks or hot rebel princesses to root for in this scenario.

Shep reports that the WH STILL claims Yemen to be a model of success against terrorism.

Folks, is the President even sane ?

Yemen is about to be overrun by Shiites. Saudi's are Sunnis. If it turns into a sectarian war, it will be the Saudis vs. Iran.

Actually - and more immediately - it's about their former president trying to re-take power. It hasn't really evolved into a sectarian conflict just yet.

http://www.pbs.org/n...ves-us-options/

http://www.pbs.org/n...s-power-vacuum/

Just another model of success in the eyes of our dear leader.

You want to talk about Yemen or just fling poo at Obama?

Seems to me that conservatives are more animated over poo flinging than "bravely facing reality". :rolleyes:;D

At what point does it dawn on even you that this President is colossally in over his head ? Does nothing phase you ? Even as Yemen's President is MIA, and the govt has fallen, watch for yourself what the official WH word is on the matter.

http://beforeitsnews...15-2549872.html

Just another model of success in the eyes of our dear leader.

You want to talk about Yemen or just fling poo at Obama?

Seems to me that conservatives are more animated over poo flinging than "bravely facing reality". :rolleyes:/> ;D/>

I was thinking the same thing

At what point does it dawn on even you that this President is colossally in over his head ? Does nothing phase you ? Even as Yemen's President is MIA, and the govt has fallen, watch for yourself what the official WH word is on the matter.

Well if you really expect the POTUS to jump in and stop all this chaos in the Middle East, it's no wonder you are disappointed in Obama. :-\

Well if you really expect the POTUS to jump in and stop all this chaos in the Middle East, it's no wonder you are disappointed in Obama. :-\

Are you sooooo much a myrmidon that you can't comprehend the most basic of questions being asked ? Are you so hell bent on defending this joke of a President ? Really ?

The issue isn't about POTUS jumping in and stopping the chaos in the M.E. It's his ( and your ) inability to simply SEE the world as it is.

Radical MUSLIM extremists

Yemen is by NO stretch a "model for success " in defeating terrorists if the TERRORISTS ARE WINNING !!!

You didn't even watch the vids posted before you replied, did you ? Not a chance in hell.

Try it sometime.

Well if you really expect the POTUS to jump in and stop all this chaos in the Middle East, it's no wonder you are disappointed in Obama. :-\/>

Are you sooooo much a myrmidon that you can't comprehend the most basic of questions being asked ? Are you so hell bent on defending this joke of a President ? Really ?

The issue isn't about POTUS jumping in and stopping the chaos in the M.E. It's his ( and your ) inability to simply SEE the world as it is.

Yemen is by NO stretch a "model for success " in defeating terrorists if the TERRORISTS ARE WINNING !!!

You didn't even watch the vids posted before you replied, did you ? Not a chance in hell.

Try it sometime.

So help me with reality as you see it. (I really have not kept up with Yemen until this morning)

The situation in Yemen is terrorists taking over?

Or is it a civil war at it's earliest stages?

(This is an open question for everyone else as well)

You are also missing the point made by the spokesman in the press conference.

What I heard is that the model used in Yemen is still the operative model to apply generally. Strengthen the central government and allow them to take the fight to terrorists. That certainly seems to be a better strategy than direct intervention. So the literal truth is the model that has been used in Yemen is still the strategy. The spokesman said that as well as acknowledging things hadn't gone so well in Yemen regarding strengthening the central government.

If you go back and listen carefully, you will see that. It's the reporter who keeps positioning the question as Yemen as the model instead of the strategy as the model. So maybe you should try listening more carefully sometime.

The current struggle in Yemen is over who will take over and represent the central government. My understanding is that there are still elements of the government in place with allegiance to the former president (the guy trying to re-take power). FWIW - which may not be much - he has also been pro-American in the past.

Regardless, what was the spokesman supposed to say if the strategy used in Yemen is still the best strategy for us to assume? It has failed in Yemen so we are abandoning that approach?

This is being spun like Obama refuses to admit our efforts in Yemen have failed because we were doing the wrong thing. That's not the case. Yemen may fail, but it's not because we were doing the wrong things there.

Did you read/listen to either of the PBS segments I linked for you?

Back to the original theme (even though the President has repeatedly called Yemen a template). If Saudi Arabia (no real friend of Americans) and Iran get into a war over this it could get very interesting very soon. We'd need to get out of the way....

Try it sometime.

Exactly who do you think are overturning the current government in Yemen? YOU HAVE NO CLUE!!!!!!!

And if you listen closely, the spokesman doesn't exactly claim that Yemen is a model for success. He said the strategy being used there is the model for success. Granted, that's undoubtedly way too subtle for today's infotainment environment but some of us are still capable of making such distinctions.

But since your contempt for how Yemen was handled by Obama is the issue, how about explaining what we should have done instead?

Back to the original theme (even though the President has repeatedly called Yemen a template). If Saudi Arabia (no real friend of Americans) and Iran get into a war over this it could get very interesting very soon. We'd need to get out of the way....

Well, let's be sure to hear what Raptor says first. He is apparently the expert.

Well, let's be sure to hear what Raptor says first. He is apparently the expert.

We all are in here.....lmao.

But really.....let them go at it. It worked for 10 years while Saddam was a co conspirator after the Iranians held the hostages.

What I heard is that the model used in Yemen is still the operative model to apply generally. Strengthen the central government and allow them to take the fight to terrorists. That certainly seems to be a better strategy than direct intervention. So the literal truth is the model that has been used in Yemen is still the strategy. The spokesman said that as well as acknowledging things hadn't gone so well in Yemen regarding strengthening the central government.

If you go back and listen carefully, you will see that. It's the reporter who keeps positioning the question as Yemen as the model instead of the strategy as the model. So maybe you should try listening more carefully sometime.

The current struggle in Yemen is over who will take over and represent the central government. My understanding is that there are still elements of the government in place with allegiance to the former president (the guy trying to re-take power). FWIW - which may not be much - he has also been pro-American in the past.

Regardless, what was the spokesman supposed to say if the strategy used in Yemen is still the best strategy for us to assume? It has failed in Yemen so we are abandoning that approach?

This is being spun like Obama refuses to admit our efforts in Yemen have failed because we were doing the wrong thing. That's not the case. Yemen may fail, but it's not because we were doing the wrong things there.

Stop spinning, Homie. You'll make yourself sick. Taking the spokesman's twist of things as being the straight forward truth and then trying to claim the REPORTERS are the ones who are spinning here is a clear indication that YOU are the one not listening. The video is a short segment of a line of questioning and an ongoing discussion that's been between reporters and the WH for some time now. It all comes down to the simple fact that THIS WH refuses to acknowledge basic truths, and you can , if YOU listen carefully, hear the exasperation in the reporters voices. Even they , who have been all but blind lackeys to Obama, cannot believe what they are hearing.

Seems you do.

Because it takes an expert to see that a war between SA and Iran would be interesting.

<_<

Yeah. I agree.

Why would SA attack Barry's success story?

President Obama has authorized U.S. forces to provide logistical and intelligence support to a Saudi air offensive against rebels in Yemen, the White House said late Wednesday.

"While U.S. forces are not taking direct military action in Yemen in support of this effort, we are establishing a joint planning cell with Saudi Arabia to coordinate U.S. military and intelligence support," National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said in a statement.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/237026-us-offering-logistical-intel-support-to-saudi-airstrikes-in-yemen

Stop spinning, Homie. You'll make yourself sick. Taking the spokesman's twist of things as being the straight forward truth and then trying to claim the REPORTERS are the ones who are spinning here is a clear indication that YOU are the one not listening. The video is a short segment of a line of questioning and an ongoing discussion that's been between reporters and the WH for some time now. It all comes down to the simple fact that THIS WH refuses to acknowledge basic truths, and you can , if YOU listen carefully, hear the exasperation in the reporters voices. Even they , who have been all but blind lackeys to Obama, cannot believe what they are hearing.

Seems you do.

I am totally not interested in going back and forth if we don't agree on the facts. So let's just stick to them, since they are still there to examine.

Go back to the video and starting at about 0:19 listen very, very carefully through the rest of the video.

You will discover the reporter is asking a slightly different question from what the spokesman is responding to. The reporter is trying to phrase it as Yemen itself was the model and it failed. The spokesman is explaining that the model used in Yemen is still the operative model even though it has fallen short in Yemen in terms of consolidating a central government.

Furthermore, he implied that some of the anti-terror organization still exists in Yemen and is operative. If so, it may give us a conduit of influence with the next guy. From what little I have heard, this is not yet a sectarian or civil war.

So it may be premature to write Yemen off as a total failure. But even if it is, that doesn't necessarily mean the policy was flawed.

Perhaps the facts are too subtle for you to grasp, which would explain a lot. Or maybe you just think it's too subtle to matter.

No doubt those more interested in trying to hang something around Obama's neck are much more invested in the "Yemen symbolizes Obama's ME strategy". I'm pretty sure you are in that category.

Oh, and the exasperation voiced by the reporter proves my point.

He noticed the distinctions that were being made between Yemen and the policy and it wasn't what he was trying to get them to admit too.

Which is really pretty stupid when you stop and think about it. It was a begging-the-question-tactic to begin with. What did he expect to hear?

Why would SA attack Barry's success story?

Another idiotic question, unless of course you think Yemen represents a success.

I do not. barry does.......

Archived