Can any of you remember when

Shug2003

Having followed Auburn footballl for over 50 years, it's an interesting scenario to ask that question. Personally, I believe it was when Jeff Beard got Georgia, Georgia Tech and Tennessee to play their games in Birmingham. Then it was Auburn. These traditional powerhouses in the SEC had flatly refused to play us at home. We had played UGA in Columbus, Tennessee in Birmingham and Georgia Tech in Atlanta when it was our home game. Another milestone was when Dye got Bammer to come to Auburn in 1989. I will be forever grateful to Dye to making that move..... If you want to talk about key wins after the move or before, have fun. I have my own games but would really like to hear you guys take on that..... WDE! :au:

Great memories. We were sure big time in !957 and those days provided some of my best memories. I was a sports reporter for the Plainsman and covered all the games as we won the NC and was there when we got the trophy. What a year. :au:

It was made more special since I was aroung the players and coaches everday. I knew Coach Jordan, and all the ass't coaches (Eaves, Senn, Lorendo, Connally, Herring, etc.) like best friends. And I still see some of the players today such as Lloyd Nix, Morris Savage, etc.

I still have a scrapbook with articles I wrote after each game. It was in the museum at Auburn for awhile.

Gosh Proud Tiger, Good to find someone who must be close to my own age who remembers the changing times. We have indeed come a long way and some of these young whippersnappers don't have a clue. Must be nice! Although I must say, watching our evolution over the last 50 years has been so rewarding. We have come from a seond rate power to a position among the nation's elite. We have so many people to thank for that including Jeff Beard, Coach Jordan, Coach Dye and letely, Coach Tuberville. Many of us wondered secretly if we would EVER match those rednecks on the other side of the state, but gosh, we have not only equaled them, we have passed them. It only proves what true Auburn people can accomplish though dogged determination, and a desire to prove that Auburn University and Auburn people are indeed, SPECIAL!

Roger that, about Dye coming in.

In one season he destroyed forever the "mystique" of the West Alabama Alcoholics. Never again will they be able to win just by showing up and intimidating the other team, whomever that might be.

Take away one play, and he would have gotten an MNC: The Hodson TD pass that set off the seiamographs in Red Stick. Otherwise, we would have played Notre Dame for it all and we would have won.

This will sound funny coming from a "Bammer" but one of my favorite games in Auburn history was the 1963 Iron Bowl ('course it wasn't called that then). That's the game when Jimmy Sidle got hurt with Bama leading 8-3. Senior QB Mailon Kent came off the bench to lead y'all to the win. The reason it's a favorite of mine is I went to high school with Mailon. Hometown boy makes good. Sorry, Bama friends. :(

Beat Va. Tech!

His son was a heck of a baseball player. My dad has told me about that game. He said that the players played on both sides of the ball. He said that Tucker Frederickson leveled Joe Namath and patted him on the back when he got up.

I was there when Carl Volyes and Earl Brown were the coaches. We started on the road to big time when they were relieved of their responsibilities and Shug Jordan bacame the Head FB coach. Others helped move Auburn upward as time passed. Look at us today! WOW!

Bob

API, class of '50, EE major

Don't wait to be a great man-- be a great Boy! Shug Jordan

Well...this fellow named HEISMAN coached at AU, a long, long time ago.

AU was big time before I was born...and I was born in 1949. :au::homer:

Auburn started playing football before you-know-who did.

As just about everyone knows, the Auburn-Georgia series is one of he oldest in the country. IS the oldest in the south.

Since Auburn decided to take the game seriously again (1940's), it's been a struggle but HERE WE ARE. And we won't go away, either.

muppets.jpg

Boy, I feel like a spring chicken now....

:big:   :big:   :big:

133826[/snapback]

All you need now is a poll to see who thinks which one is Shug2003 and which one is me. :D:D

His son was a heck of a baseball player.  My dad has told me about that game.  He said that the players played on both sides of the ball.  He said that Tucker Frederickson leveled Joe Namath and patted him on the back when he got up.

133857[/snapback]

Some players did but not Joe Willie. He played with the cheerleaders when bama was on defense. :D:D

That was truly enjoyable, watchin Kent beat Namath. :au:

"We'll quit when i see blood!"

Shot Senn

133869[/snapback]

And he saw a lot. I used to really feel sorry for the guys but Coach Eaves was more effective than Senn. End Jerry Wilson, a good friend who played both ways told me one time that you just ended up getting mad with Coach Senn and turn around and make the same mistake again just to spite him, But he said when you screwed up on offense Coach Eaves didn't scream or get rough, he just gave you a look that made you want to hide and you would try never to make the mistake again.

Archived