Former Vol/Packer, Reggie White, Dead at 43

MDM4AU

This really is sad. My prayers are with his family. :(

Reggie White, Dead at 43

Ex-Packers lineman Reggie White dies at 43

By Boston.com|  December 26, 2004

Defensive lineman Reggie White, who terrorized quarterbacks for the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles, has died of a massive heart attack at age 43, according to ESPN.

Reporter Andrea Kremer said that since leaving he game, he had suffered through his wife's diagnosis with multiple sclerosis, and had been studying Hebrew in a search to better clarify his religious beliefs.

He left his wife, a son and a daughter. The family issued a statement thanking fans and reporters for their thoughts and asking that their privacy be respected.

White was nicknamed the "Minister of Defense" for his football prowess and his Evangelical Christian ordination.

A prolific sacker, he set records at the University of Tennessee that still stand. After school, he signed on with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL for two seasons, then joined the Eagles when the USFL folded. In 1993, after eight seasons in Philadelphia, he went to Green Bay for six seasons and helping them to two Super Bowls, including a victory in Super Bowl XXXI.

After retiring in 1998, he had a change of heart and signed with the Carolina Panthers for the 2000 season, but retired again after a lackluster performance that year.

In 1996, the Inner City Church in Knoxville, Tenn., where White was an associate minister, was burned to the ground in 1996. An outpouring of financial support, in part because of White's celebrity, helped to rebuild the church.

Reggie White was a great football player, but he was an even better person. he will surely be missed. He centered his life around family and God. Arguably the best TN Vol ever. My prayers are with his family.

i have always been a fan of reggie in all aspects of his life.....a real fine man.....life is funny in a sad kinda way......it was ironic in a sense that he had a heart attack at the age as i was when i had mine.....he died, i didn't....he was a far,far greater man than me, yet the Lord saw fit to bring him home and not me......sometimes there is no answer to lifes' questions

Archived