CTT says not interested in LSU

DKW 86

Link

In its Sunday editions, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution cites an unnamed source who said Tuberville's agent, Memphis-based lawyer Jimmy Sexton, has been given permission to speak with LSU officials if the school has interest.

Reached by phone Sunday night, Tuberville said he remains committed to Auburn but didn't rule out anything.

"I don't understand how these things keep coming up," he said. "We're finishing up a contract with Auburn right now to stay in Auburn for a long time. This is where I want to be."

Asked if he was interested in the LSU job, Tuberville said: "I'm interested in Auburn."

Tuberville agreed in principle last week to a seven-year contract worth approximately $2 million per season. It includes a generous buyout provision that ensures Tuberville the financial security he's been seeking since last fall, when school officials secretly talked with Louisville coach Bob Petrino about Auburn's top job.

Richardson and Auburn University attorney Lee Armstrong still are working out the details of Tuberville's contract. The coach said Sunday that he expects to see a first draft this week, then will confer with Sexton about his next move.

Tuberville and his staff are traveling to New Orleans today for a Sugar Bowl event. Players report on Tuesday.

In six seasons at Auburn, Tuberville is 50-24. The Tigers are 12-0 this season and have been ranked No. 3 since early November, which is the team's highest ranking in 14 years.

Still, this is the first season of Tuberville's head-coaching career in which his team will finish with less than four losses. His best seasons before this were 9-4 finishes in 2000 and 2002.

The LSU vacancy was created on Saturday when coach Nick Saban accepted an offer to guide the NFL's Miami Dolphins, earning a significant raise on the $2.3 million salary he was drawing in Baton Rouge.

LSU reportedly is interested chiefly in Petrino and former Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis, who helped resurrect the Miami program in the 1990s. Other possible candidates include Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, California's Jeff Tedford and LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher.

That's an interesting point there BS. If Saban had such great assistants and what not, how come they aren't at the top of the list when the HC position comes open? Why is it that we Auburn fans always have to worry about our assistants getting hired away at the end of the season? I guess you could say the same thing for USC. Why hasn't Chow been on these lists for possible replacements since he's supposedly so good?

Didn't Petrino just "ink" a deal with Louisville? It will be interesting to see if Butch goes to LSU. He certainly doesn't have to make any decisions right away. Cleveland still owes him $12M over the next year. I think Jimbo deserves a shot.

Skip said he does NOT want to hire assistance because of the past experiences with such actions (Mike Archer to name one)

Also believe it or not LSU and the SEC is one of the premier jobs in the nation. I know you guys think we are a bunch of drunk corndogs, fari enough BUT if you can coach you can win at LSU. Word is many coaches have thrown their names into the hat.

So with that said, LSU will get a current sitting coach OR someone has had been a head coach. Our AD said he wont hire anyone that does not meet that criteria. And with the list he wont have to.

As for Tubs, I expected that to be false, he has no interest in LSU and frankly I dont think LSU has interest in him.

We shall see what happens.

As for Jimbo, we all can agree since the departure of the Rohan and Reed show, LSU's weaklink has been the offense. Defense got LSU to 2 SEC titles in 4 years and a BCS title.

I like Jimbo, and he deserves a shot somewhere but not at LSU....

As for Contracts and inking deals.. Saban signed a brand new 7 year long term contract making him the highest paid coach in college football... 11 months ago. That worked out for us.. Contracts mean nothing....

Friends in both New Orleans & Baton Rogue have told me that Petrino & Frank Beamer are at the top of the list. LSU officials will be talking to Beamer this week while he is in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl.

Beamer seems to be the front runner from what they are saying.

getting beamer would be awesome to watch...

he wins the ACC in his 1st year, then comes over to the SEC w/ a loaded club.

i'll be surprised if he takes it.

i think petrino is a GREAT fit for LSU, btw.

ct

As for Jimbo, we all can agree since the departure of the Rohan and Reed show, LSU's weaklink has been the offense. Defense got LSU to 2 SEC titles in 4 years and a BCS title.

I like Jimbo, and he deserves a shot somewhere but not at LSU....

134041[/snapback]

I thought LSU's Offense was pretty flashy and dominant last year. If you put the right QB (See: Matt Mauck) in the game, Jimbo's offense was pretty fluid. We sure couldn't figure it out last year. Jimbo gets much props from me.

I've said it all along. Contracts are only there for their buyout clauses. Some programs frown on buyout clauses (See: Louisville) because if the coach doesn't want to be there, they don't want him. Tuberville has a massive buyout clause. (Amounting to around 2 years of his salary). Any academic institution would get a black eye for throwing that money at Auburn to steal Tuberville away. They Buyout is the factor you've left out of the equation.

Tubs didn't definitively rule anything out, which I suspect is a bargaining ploy. I support him, but frankly I think he's a good coach, not a great one. He's only as good as his assistants. He seems to be a good CEO and tends to breed loyalty, which are good traits in a coach. But in 10 seasons he's only had one year with less than four losses-- this one. The deal they offered him is darned good for most anyone. Frankly, I hope Auburn doesn't budge an inch if he's trying to work anything more for himself. (Two million a year is enough for any man doing anything.) His assistants are another matter.

Friends in both New Orleans & Baton Rogue have told me that Petrino & Frank Beamer are at the top of the list.  LSU officials will be talking to Beamer this week while he is in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl.

Beamer seems to be the front runner from what they are saying.

134042[/snapback]

That's great. That is the distraction I prefer.

Texas Tiger, it is pretty easy to win at LSU if you can coach. LSU doesn't really have to recruit against any other state school. But actually, if you can coach you can win at almost any SEC school. Too much talent in the south.

Texas Tiger, it is pretty easy to win at LSU if you can coach. LSU doesn't really have to recruit against any other state school. But actually, if you can coach you can win at almost any SEC school. Too much talent in the south.

134055[/snapback]

It should be easy to win at LSU, but before Saban, they had something like 3 winning seasons in the previous 11. I don't recall LSU having alot of top 5 recruiting classes before Saban.

134055[/snapback]

It should be easy to win at LSU, but before Saban, they had something like 3 winning seasons in the previous 11. I don't recall LSU having alot of top 5 recruiting classes before Saban.

134056[/snapback]

And now that Saban has bolted for Miami, some of those recruits have expressed interest in looking else where! :big:

Do you have a link to Beamer?

I really think that is an utter and complete BS thought....Beamer has built VTech's entire football program....he is not leaving.

Do you have a link to Beamer?

I really think that is an utter and complete BS thought....Beamer has built VTech's entire football program....he is not leaving.

134061[/snapback]

No link, what I said was "Friends in both New Orleans & Baton Rogue have told me ". :big:

Archived