Jeremy J most potential of any Auburn QB preseason

Jeremy Johnson has the potential to be the best PASSING QB in Auburn history. I think he is far more in the mold of Pat Sullivan than Cam Newton. I don't think JJ is ever going to have the rushing potential that Newton or Marshall have, but he's not going to be a statue either. With an experienced OL and the talent he has around him, something is going to be seriously wrong if JJ rushes more than 2-3 times a game.

Jeremy definitely has the running ability to go more than 3 times a game

As a guy that expects 3K and 1K, he'll probably have something like 40 passing attempts and 5 rushing attempts a game

The point I failed to make clearly is not that JJ does not have the ability to run but that he will be too valuable as a passer to open himself up to getting injured running the ball more than a few times a game. Marshall was like having an extra RB in the backfield. JJ isn't the same type player. With Jovon, Peyton, and Roc, why would you ask an elite passer to run any more often than a few times a game just to keep the defense honest? Barring key injuries, I think the offense is going to redefine the term explosive. If the defense can manage to be average instead of awful, then it should be enough for a special season.

No you specified correctly, it's just that Jeremy WANTS to run. With defense likely having to dedicate 7 to 8 in the defensive backfield, he's gonna have PLENTY of chances to scramble, and he is definitely more durable than Marshall was. This will likely be a year where we hit like 77 plays a game, seeing as how you can go faster when your QB is more accurate. If he gets 40 and 5 attempts, I feel that's a very moderate number for a QB of his skillset (Cameron averaged 20 passing attempts and about 19 rushing attempts per game in a 14 game season while the offense ran 67.7 plays a game.).

It's just something I could see happening, He got 20+ attempts in both halves he's played in, and we probably haven't ran a real version of the offense Jeremy will have as a full-time starter yet.

Archived