For the first time since 1944...

SLAG-91

Neither Florida nor Tennessee is on our schedule...we played both of them every year from 1956-1991 and at least one from 1945 until this year.

I'm at home...someone else mentioned it to me and I thought it was unusual. I wondered how long it had been since we hadn't played either one in a season, so I looked it up.

Some of us were at AU in the pre-SEC expansion years (I think some of 'em here were at AU when Georgia Tech was still in the SEC...now that was a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago) and were accustomed to seeing Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee every year. LSU was not a serious rival of ours then...hard to imagine now.

Yep, and in years past, Florida has been a thorn in our sides. May it never be so again. Also, I remember when Jeff Beard wanted Tennessee to play us and General Neyland said: "Why should we play Auburn. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain." Well, General, you'd probably turn over in your grave if you could see a vols/Tigers game now. We just about own them. WDE!

Yep, and in years past, Florida has been a thorn in our sides. May it never be so again. Also, I remember when Jeff Beard wanted Tennessee to play us and General Neyland said: "Why should we play Auburn. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain." Well, General, you'd probably turn over in your grave if you could see a vols/Tigers game now. We just about own them. WDE!

141319[/snapback]

Don't you know this kills that other school up the road to think that AU owns the team that owns UA as well as the team that owns UA. By the way I understand some of the state legislators in Montgomery [with UA degrees] are trying to pass a bill to raise the ad valorem taxes on our other stadium in Tuscaloosa.

Don't you know this kills that other school up the road to think that AU owns the team that owns UA as well as the team that owns UA.

:blink: ........I'm sorry, Huh.......as 'Lil John would say, "Wwwwaaatt"......"Wwwwaaatt"........"Yyyeeeaaaa"

Guest Tigrinum Major
I miss "Amen Corner" as Dye used to call the last 3 games of the year...Florida, Georgia, off week, Bama. I think one year ('88?) we shut out all 3. :au:

141548[/snapback]

Didn't it used to be Florida, Homecoming Game, Georgia, Alabama?

And I would have included Mississppi State in that mix. We used to play them before Florida each year. Florida and Georgia would get together down in J'ville during our homecoming week.

Archived