A Gus Malzahn coached AU football team

AUIH1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. It's been a really sh***y week and I needed a chuckle.

Sometimes all you can do is laugh.  War Eagle. Maybe they will win again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

it was a wonderful week until yesterday.....

Agreed. Unfortunately I saw this one coming, but was still holding out hope.  We are just too thin in depth in key areas of our offense.

Gus will be going into his fifth year as head coach next year, fourth year of recruiting.  There will be no more excuses about depth issues.  One of Gus's favorite lines is "There are some young and inexperienced players out there."  That excuse was good a couple of years ago, not so much now.

Just because you really like Gus, that doesn't mean this is a stupid thread. Like many losses in Malzahn's AU past, the loss to Georgia is 100% on Malzahn and Lashlee for not making any changes at halftime. They stuck to the same old crap through out the game.
Gus is now 34-19 overall and 18-13 in conference play. He's 1-3 against Georgia and 1-2 "so far" against Alabama.

5 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

But you're on a freaking football message board. We come here to discuss football and vent. No one said it's life or death but if we don't take it seriously and care about winning what's the point?  If you're just fine and dandy with losing then why come on here and lecture those that are not?

Where do I post anywhere that I'm fine and dandy with losing. That's asinine to even come to that conclusion from what I posted.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Where do I post anywhere that I'm fine and dandy with losing. That's asinine to even come to that conclusion from what I posted.

Well goodness don't get upset...its just football.

19 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Agreed. Unfortunately I saw this one coming, but was still holding out hope.  We are just too thin in depth in key areas of our offense.

Gus will be going into his fifth year as head coach next year, fourth year of recruiting.  There will be no more excuses about depth issues.  One of Gus's favorite lines is "There are some young and inexperienced players out there."  That excuse was good a couple of years ago, not so much now.

Maybe you missed the stat that showed almost 90% of our entire offense's production for this season has come from freshman and sophomores? How many of these guys were playing a couple (2-3) years ago? Almost none.

On 11/12/2016 at 9:48 PM, aufan57 said:

Can the notion that Malzahn is an offensive genius finally be put to bed? Auburn has too much talent on offense to only gain 32 yards in the second half. Plus, almost half the yardage Auburn gained, in the game, came on their only scoring drive (80 yards) of the game.

You do realize that most of that talent spent the second half on the training table... if they dressed out for the game at all, right? Even with that, had Sean not made one errant throw, we would have still won, because unlike Georgia, we were able to drive the field and score, with an injured QB and an injured RB.

If it hadn't been for Rock transferring and JR being booted off the team KP would still be laboring at H-back. One other note to pass along, Gus thought it wise to play three QB's against Clemson but KP didn't get a single carry.

12 hours ago, Tiger said:

Maybe you missed the stat that showed almost 90% of our entire offense's production for this season has come from freshman and sophomores? How many of these guys were playing a couple (2-3) years ago? Almost none.

Bammer is starting a freshman QB and is 10-0 and on their way to ANOTHER natty so how bout that for young?  But us Auburn folk are the kings of "just wait til next year!" aren't we?  What good does experienced players do if their coach doesn't know how to use them?  Or how to adjust to defenses? Or how to develop a backup QB? Or put the RIGHT players on the field instead of the "I can't catch a cold" WR corps he keeps putting out there while two stud WR recruits waste away on the bench!!??? Enough excuses for a coach who without two of the most miraculous plays in Auburn history would be 0-8 against uat and uga.

11 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Bammer is starting a freshman QB and is 10-0 and on their way to ANOTHER natty so how bout that for young?  But us Auburn folk are the kings of "just wait til next year!" aren't we?  What good does experienced players do if their coach doesn't know how to use them?  Or how to adjust to defenses? Or how to develop a backup QB? Or put the RIGHT players on the field instead of the "I can't catch a cold" WR corps he keeps putting out there while two stud WR recruits waste away on the bench!!??? Enough excuses for a coach who without two of the most miraculous plays in Auburn history would be 0-8 against uat and uga.

If you've noticed, when our teams do really well we are usually senior-laden, meaning our staffs know how to coach experienced players. Which is, for the most part, the norm around college football. Our problem is we are somehow stuck in a cycle of losing an insane amount of seniors after a good year and it takes us until the next crop of guys are seniors before we are good again. But you're going to find yourself spiraling if you try to compare ANY football program in the country to Bama's. That's just the reality. Yes they have a true freshman killing it when he's surrounded by NFL talent at almost every position. Literally no other program has that type of luxury.  

As far as adjusting to defenses, developing a backup, or playing less talented WRs you have a point. But I think we're right on schedule for how our roster is currently constructed. I really wish @StatTiger would've posted his experience/starts numbers prior to the season so people could see how truly young we are on offense. That is usually the best indicator of how a team will do, as he has it broken down into tiers.

Barring some weird unforeseen set of circumstances, we are going to be freaking nasty when our freshman and sophomores become juniors and seniors IMO

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

If you've noticed, when our teams do really well we are usually senior-laden, meaning our staffs know how to coach experienced players. Which is, for the most part, the norm around college football. Our problem is we are somehow stuck in a cycle of losing an insane amount of seniors after a good year and it takes us until the next crop of guys are seniors before we are good again. But you're going to find yourself spiraling if you try to compare ANY football program in the country to Bama's. That's just the reality. Yes they have a true freshman killing it when he's surrounded by NFL talent at almost every position. Literally no other program has that type of luxury.  

As far as adjusting to defenses, developing a backup, or playing less talented WRs you have a point. But I think we're right on schedule for how our roster is currently constructed. I really wish @StatTiger would've posted his experience/starts numbers prior to the season so people could see how truly young we are on offense. That is usually the best indicator of how a team will do, as he has it broken down into tiers.

Barring some weird unforeseen set of circumstances, we are going to be freaking nasty when our freshman and sophomores become juniors and seniors IMO

So we've been young for the last three years?  Whats the excuse for 8-5 and 7-6 the last two years?  Are our players perpetually young?  Do Auburn players not age?

45 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

So we've been young for the last three years?  Whats the excuse for 8-5 and 7-6 the last two years?  Are our players perpetually young?  Do Auburn players not age?

Nobody on the planet said we were young in 2014. We had one of the highest numbers of returning players coming back that season in the entire conference. Last year we were really young I'm not sure how you can argue that. StatTiger even told us before the season "beware! we are young as hell" (paraphrasing)

Just now, Tiger said:

Nobody on the planet said we were young in 2014. We had one of the highest numbers of returning players coming back that season in the entire conference. Last year we were really young I'm not sure how you can argue that. StatTiger even told us before the season "beware! we are young as hell" (paraphrasing)

I give up. Next season I will check in to see what the new excuse is when the team hopefully is no longer young.  I have been hearing that about AU football ever since Tubs left.  Next year it will be oh well we weren't young but you know sometimes teams can have too much experience...

11 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I give up. Next season I will check in to see what the new excuse is when the team hopefully is no longer young.  I have been hearing that about AU football ever since Tubs left.  Next year it will be oh well we weren't young but you know sometimes teams can have too much experience...

Next year we figure to be better due to our scheduling and also 90% of our yards will be coming back.

WDE anyway, sir. :cheers:

Archived