A Gus Malzahn coached AU football team

AUIH1

3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Stupid thread. Gus's top qb and RB get hurt and all of a sudden he forgot how to coach. Give me a break. 

No first downs in the second half. That is not acceptable. You can spin it all you want. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the most ridiculous  thread I think I've seen on here this year. Gus had nothing to do with this loss... our passing game fell apart. Unless Gus is out there doing the passing he has no control over Sean hitting his targets or the receivers catching what is throw to them.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

So you accept losing to our second biggest rival for the 9th time in eleven years and we were double digit favorites?

wde

No, I didn't say I accepted anyting. I said s¿¡t happens. Injured qb, rb, poor blocking. The sun will rise in the morning and I still love Auburn.

Can the notion that Malzahn is an offensive genius finally be put to bed? Auburn has too much talent on offense to only gain 32 yards in the second half. Plus, almost half the yardage Auburn gained, in the game, came on their only scoring drive (80 yards) of the game.

No developed options at QB besides SW and no idea what to do to generate an offense without our unexpected star at RB available show both short-term and long-term coaching deficiencies.     

3 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Think about this for a moment, if not for the prayer at Jordan Hare    and the kick-six Malzahn would be winless against both UGA and UAT.

the cold hard truth no one wants to admit. 

32 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

No developed options at QB besides SW and no idea what to do to generate an offense without our unexpected star at RB available show both short-term and long-term coaching deficiencies.     

Got a point here. No he didn't forget how to coach but he doesn't have much idea on how to make in game adjustments. For one, i didn't like the game situation of not calling a timeout before the half ended. I felt that with the kicker and momentum we had in the first half that we should have called timeout to get a stop and try to take the offense down the field and at least attempt a FG. As far as the 2nd half..i don't really understand why we went away from the run so much to start the half and at a certain point when were not getting any first downs at all...we should've tried something different. Possibly mixing in JF3 some with SW. I mean something after not getting 1st downs on how many consecutive drives? That's where Gus has to step up and in to do something. It just sucks to lose to an awful UGA team and the fact that our defense only gave up 6 points! 6 points! No excuse for not getting our defense at least 17-20 points to work with for a win. And the defense struggled some as well but still only gave up 6 points! This one hurts for sure. 

The sunshine pumpers and excuse makers can say all they want but the tune will be different next December when we're in the middle of a coaching search after he loses to both again.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

No, I didn't say I accepted anyting. I said s¿¡t happens. Injured qb, rb, poor blocking. The sun will rise in the morning and I still love Auburn.

I agree. No one likes losing, so ppl shouldn't attack others for giving their opinions. I'm passionate about Auburn athletics, but I wonder if some have any passion left for their life. Enjoy Sunday WDE

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

Stupid thread. Gus's top qb and RB get hurt and all of a sudden he forgot how to coach. Give me a break. 

Maybe 1 in 10 coaches would attempt to play a QB who is hurt.

Maybe 1 in 1,000,000 coaches would continue to play the QB who has been completely ineffective.

Maybe 1 in 1,000,000,000 coaches would alter his play calling in 2nd half to feature his injured, ineffective QB's weakness.

We have that 1 in 1,000,000,000 coach with a fresh contract extension and buyout! 

Would you like to see the odds on who's stupid?  I will let you do the math on that one!

This is nonsense. I'm no sunshine pumper. After A&M, I thought Gus was done. I was sad about it, but things had gotten really bad.

The team has improved a great deal. No, we don't have any depth at QB or RB. It caught up with us. Has to be fixed. But to say he's gotta be fired when the team is clearly improving, that makes no sense to me.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

the cold hard truth no one wants to admit. 

I said Gus would never take Auburn to the Natty again in 2013 and was attacked unmercifully by some , I hate being right on this but Gus is not the man.

I think the defensive coaching has been excellent now if we could hire a great  offensive coordinator I think they could overcome the head coaching disaster. 

Because we all know Auburn can't afford to fire Gus because Jacobs gave the man an extension for going to the Birmingham Bowl ?

10 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I agree with this sentiment,,,for the most part.  HOWEVER, Gus is the one in charge.  There will always be adversity.  As someone else said, "this is the SEC west".

Gus is a very smart guy.  He is still learning what the dynamics of his system, within the context of this level of competition.  He will recruit more effectively and, prevent this from happening again.  Overall, I think our depth chart has improved dramatically, in terms of two deep talent, since he has become HC.

I understand the frustrations of many of you.  This could have been a very special year.  The pieces were in place.  Early on, we were over-coached, too many unnecessary adjustments.  Yesterday, just the opposite, not enough adjustments.

I would favor patience over overreaction.  I think it would be a horrible mistake to let Gus go and then, watch him take what he has learned and be wildly successful somewhere else.  I would however, let Lashlee go.  I think he is a good coach but, Gus doesn't need a protoge.  He needs an OC that brings a little more to the table.  He needs someone that understands his system from a more unique perspective.  He needs someone who can add to it, build upon it (particularly in the passing game), not someone who knows nothing other than Gus's system.

In short, Gus is a great coach.  We should recognize that.  However, NO one knows everything.  Having Lashlee as OC hinders our ability to develop and adapt.  It's not Lashlee's fault.  That is the only system he has ever really been a part of.  It is time for Gus to realize that loyalty is great but, keeping Lashlee is a disservice to Auburn football and, to Lashlee.  Neither will improve until both expand their knowledge and experience.

12 hours ago, Cooper said:

Gus is hard headed.  He gave this season away the minute he let Javon Robinson go.  I wish he could have kept Rock too.  Petway is a beast but this is the SEC not little rock arkansas.  Players get hurt.  I hate to say it but sometimes Gus acts like Mike Shula.  

You have lost your mind if you would like to have Jovon on the team. Clearly, you have no idea what went on for Jovon to have EARNED his dismissal. It certainly isn't like Gus thought he had too many running backs and wanted Jovon to leave. 

I miss Roc, but if he didn't want to play for AU anymore then bye. 

47 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

You have lost your mind if you would like to have Jovon on the team. Clearly, you have no idea what went on for Jovon to have EARNED his dismissal. It certainly isn't like Gus thought he had too many running backs and wanted Jovon to leave. 

Well if you remember that was some he said she said email stuff that the girl came out and said she made up.  I wish he had acted better before but still wish he was on the team and no I havent lost my mind have you.

so no one gives props to gus for hiring steele? so many of you were pissed when that happened and look how that turned out. and many folks said herb was one of the best oline guys in the business. both os those coaches are in there first years at auburn. so is it reasonable to say that there would be improvement in year two? and look at the receivers we recruited this year. they will get better and better and should have more playing time with some of the seniors etc moving on. they also know what is happening at gb and tried a last ditch effort to get franklin in shape which did not work. give us some more depth at qb and a couple other positions and we should be doing better down the road. it seems some of you would have us changing coaches every couple of years and this will kill us down the road.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

so no one gives props to gus for hiring steele? so many of you were pissed when that happened and look how that turned out. and many folks said herb was one of the best oline guys in the business. both os those coaches are in there first years at auburn. so is it reasonable to say that there would be improvement in year two? and look at the receivers we recruited this year. they will get better and better and should have more playing time with some of the seniors etc moving on. they also know what is happening at gb and tried a last ditch effort to get franklin in shape which did not work. give us some more depth at qb and a couple other positions and we should be doing better down the road. it seems some of you would have us changing coaches every couple of years and this will kill us down the road.

The problem is this is year 4 and we are stagnant same mistakes over and over , that's a trend. 

Ok...maybe he isn't the greatest of all time, but how many coaches can overcome their QB going 6/20 for 27 yards and throwing a pick 6?  Seriously?  Maybe he didn't call the best game.  I honestly didn't notice the coaching failure last night that everyone else did.  I saw a QB play one of the worst games I've ever seen in my entire life

5 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Well if you remember that was some he said she said email stuff that the girl came out and said she made up.  I wish he had acted better before but still wish he was on the team and no I havent lost my mind have you.

There was much more to the story of Jovon's dismissal than the part you referenced. He needed to go regardless of how talented he was. 

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Just now, AidiAU said:

There was much more to the story of Jovon's dismissal than the part you referenced. He needed to go regardless of how talented he was. 

Can we agree to disagree and call it good.

15 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

So your reasoning for being okay with being a pathetic joke is that when we thought we may be good we were playing terrible teams?  Sound logic. Maybe if we just played all terrible teams we could just always think we were good, amirite? Today crossed a line. Lose to bama and hit the bricks. There is now a 99.999999 percent chance we lose to bama and UGA 3 years in a row. That's grounds for firing alone. I'll reserve official judgement until after we lose to the turds by 30 (I suspect) and then I'm 100 billion percent done. We deserve better and so do our student athletes. 

No reasoning to it. The point of my post was that it's just freaking football, not life and death . Jeesh people, I want to win every game we play , especially against our rivals,   but it's not the freaking end of the world if we don't win either.  Life's too short to to get all worked up over something you have absolutely no control over. 

9 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

No reasoning to it. The point of my post was that it's just freaking football, not life and death . Jeesh people, I want to win every game we play , especially against our rivals,   but it's not the freaking end of the world if we don't win either.  Life's too short to to get all worked up over something you have absolutely no control over. 

But you're on a freaking football message board. We come here to discuss football and vent. No one said it's life or death but if we don't take it seriously and care about winning what's the point?  If you're just fine and dandy with losing then why come on here and lecture those that are not?

17 hours ago, Cooper said:

Gus is hard headed.  He gave this season away the minute he let Javon Robinson go.  I wish he could have kept Rock too.  Petway is a beast but this is the SEC not little rock arkansas.  Players get hurt.  I hate to say it but sometimes Gus acts like Mike Shula.  

Thanks. It's been a really sh***y week and I needed a chuckle.

Archived