Baseball vs uat - Game 2

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes indeed! He deserves lots of heat for having the team that was picked last in the West in 2nd place in the SEC and top 10 in the nation. Turn up the heat and get Butch a nice raise!

Not saying he hasn't done a great job turning the team around from a disastrous 1st season .  However, losing two to your arch rival at home, who had only two SEC wins until this series , makes it appear that he didn't have the team ready to play this weekend. If you are okay with losing 2-3 to Bama at home, then good for you.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losses like yesterday, I'd tend to put squarely on the player leadership.  They weren't ready and appeared lackadaisical ... 

but you have to temper that with the fact we have 20 new players who probably don't fully appreciate the rivalry and only a few returning upperclassmen.  Bet those new players take it more seriously next year.

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Win today and we split the season....and yes, Montgomery counts. 

You are correct. 2 out of 2 is definitely not what we wanted but at least it's a split. 

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Losses like yesterday, I'd tend to put squarely on the player leadership.  They weren't ready and appeared lackadaisical ... 

but you have to temper that with the fact we have 20 new players who probably don't fully appreciate the rivalry and only a few returning upperclassmen.  Bet those new players take it more seriously next year.

Honestly, I think I put a lot of yesterday on our coaching. Thompson has talked a lot about being in "attack" mode this season, and that wasn't very evident to me yesterday. I felt we were on our heels all day yesterday, and never really forced Bama's hand. Even after we went a few innings with getting a runner on second or third with no outs and failing to bring him in, we never tried to get creative to manufacture runs. Sometimes, your offense just isn't going to have it, and we definitely did not yesterday. I kept waiting for us to lay down a bunt with a runner on third, because the Bama third baseman was playing behind the bag! One good bunt towards third, and you've got a run and a hit! Another thing I felt like we did was try to rely to much on the hitters to produce a SAC fly. Instead of trying to steal a bag with a fast guy on first, and a runner on third, we would hope the guy at the plate would hit one to the outfield. I can only remember once yesterday when that batter didn't either hit into a double play, or strikeout. Everything to play for yesterday and I was just very disappointed in the effort we had. I think the guys are definitely trying hard and fighting, don't get me wrong, I just think thompson and Siss need to realize that when their offense doesn't have it, there are other ways to manufacture runs and win ballgames. 

After cooling down from last night, I don't see hosting as completely out of the picture yet, I just think we've made it a lot harder on ourselves now. Taking the series and losing only one would've been okay, especially since we had beaten them once earlier in the year, but splitting the season series with them kinda looks dumpy. I think that's the only redeeming thing we have in this situation is that we've already got one win over them, and can split the series now. Then, we hope like crazy they sweep their last two series and bump that RPI up as much as possible. 

In order to host, I'd say this is what needs to happen:

- win today 

-beat UAB

- Take 5 of 6 against LSU and Ole Miss. 

-Win two in Hoover

This scenario would put us at 41-19 for the season and 22-12 in the SEC. I think beating LSU would certainly boost us back up the RPI scales and into shooting distance of that 16. If we can't get it done today, we'll probably need to go win Hoover to have any shot at hosting. 

11 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Not saying he hasn't done a great job turning the team around from a disastrous 1st season .  However, losing two to your arch rival at home, who had only two SEC wins until this series , makes it appear that he didn't have the team ready to play this weekend. If you are okay with losing 2-3 to Bama at home, then good for you.

Who is ok with losing even one to UAT? Not me, but it happens. Now we've been swept.  Eight charged errors plus a passed ball and a wild pitch in just three games is entirely what did this. A coach can't catch or throw the ball for them they have to do it themselves. This weekend is on the players. Period. It appears that they took the opponent lightly, as did many of our fans. Bad mistake. I'm betting it won't happen again with this bunch of players.

I sure hope they learn from it. It was embarrassing. 

Archived