Hunter S Thompson RIP

jaydubb121

With the board being down the last couple of days I wanted to be sure and pay my respects to the great writer Hunter S Thompson who bade farewell to planet Earth in his own peculiar way Sunday evening at his home in Colorado. He'll never know how many people he inspired with his work and how many people have become writers because he proved anyone can write. This smartass thanks him for his endeavors and sends his prayers of peace and comfort to his family.

'Some of the most interesting people in this world are the ones you can't fit inside of a box' (not my quote). He definitely was not afraid to walk to the beat of his own drummer and I respect that.

jaydubb, I never would have pegged you for a Gonzo fan. I personally am not one, but I have nothing against his work either. I just didn't get a lot of it - maybe that makes me shallow, but I guess I just missed out on that way of thinking.

Gonzo journalism is characterized by the use of quotes, sarcasm, humour, exaggeration, and profanity. Dr. Thompson bases his style on William Faulkner's idea that "the fiction is often the best fact". While the things that Dr. Thompson writes about are basically true, he uses satircal devices to drive his points home.

Jenny, using the above definition how could I not appreciate that. :)

I read in the Mont. Adv. today that his request was that his ashes be fired out of a cannon. His family has contacted a pyrotechnics guy and they are trying to work it out. that would be to cool, imo.

Archived