APR Numbers are out.

DKW 86

Auburn Report

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - Auburn's football program is among the nation's leaders in the NCAA's new Academic Progress Rating and is safely clear of any potential penalties.

Four Auburn sports - three with new coaches - are in danger of losing scholarships. Baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball and women's golf could lose scholarship aid if athletes who are not in good standing leave school.

According to the complicated academic progress rate formula, Auburn's football program has a rating of .960. Only teams with ratings below .925 are in danger of losing scholarships.

The APR is a centerpiece of the NCAA's academics reform package.

Each student-athlete can earn two points per semester for his team. One point is for remaining academically eligible and another is for remaining in school. The APR is the percentage of points earned in relation to the maximum number possible.

If a team falls below .925, it loses scholarship aid for any athlete who goes 0-for-2 in a semester - losing his or her eligibility and leaving school. In an equivalency sport - one that offers partial scholarships - the lost aid will be the amount the offending student-athlete received.

The men's basketball program (.879), which lost four players after Cliff Ellis was fired at the end of last season, would have lost a full scholarship if the rule had been in place this year. Former Buckhorn star Brandon Robinson left school after becoming academically ineligible. Marco Killingsworth, Lewis Monroe and Dwayne Curtis were in good academic standing but transferred, costing Auburn a point apiece.

Baseball had an APR of .879, women's basketball .875 and women's golf .861. All other Auburn sports were above the .925 threshold.

Bama Report

The Crimson Tide football team, according to a report from the NCAA received earlier this month, has a rate of .880. That falls short of the "cut rate" of .925 - which is designed to be relative to a 50 percent graduation rate.

Three other sports - women's basketball, men's cross country and men's outdoor track - were also below the cut rate. But an adjustment in that cut rate to be made in April, Dever said, should remove those sports from the danger list.

Six programs - including men's basketball - had a perfect 1.000 score in both eligibility and retention.

I'm sure MANY programs across the nation will have to get their academic act together quick for this APR crap.

Then again, we're the only two teams in the state that matter. ;):D

The men's basketball program (.879), which lost four players after Cliff Ellis was fired at the end of last season, would have lost a full scholarship if the rule had been in place this year. Former Buckhorn star Brandon Robinson left school after becoming academically ineligible. Marco Killingsworth, Lewis Monroe and Dwayne Curtis were in good academic standing but transferred, costing Auburn a point apiece.

Why the HELL should schools be punished for something like this?

The same thing happened to us...we had 3 guys transfer from bball this year.

Because BG, logic and the NCAA go together like oil and water or Fulmer and a salad. Basketball and football are going to have the biggest problems because of the drain of the NBA and NFL getting kids that leave early. I never understood why those three guys left after Cliff got fired, I guess they heard Lebo was gonna make them work and not just screw around and play below par basketball like they did under Cliff.

I agree with you on this one BG.............. Why penalize a future student/player for what a past player did or did not do in the classroom..

The NCAA has once again lost it's mind. They can't even come up with a National Championship for their premier sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a JOKE!

Because BG, logic and the NCAA go together like oil and water or Fulmer and a salad. Basketball and football are going to have the biggest problems because of the drain of the NBA and NFL getting kids that leave early. I never understood why those three guys left after Cliff got fired, I guess they heard Lebo was gonna make them work and not just screw around and play below par basketball like they did under Cliff.

148525[/snapback]

Yeah the records that Cliff put up, don't show some of the efforts. Yes they did get blown out at Starkville last year, but they did this year too.

They lost to Kentucky by 9 (68-59)last year. They were leading at the half. They lost to Bama by1 at Beard Eaves. They may have won had Kyle Davis not fouled.

In 2000-2001, you know they lost Porter, Robinson, Fishback, and N 'Diaye.

They also lost Jay Heard , who transferrred. Heard was a pretty good 3 point shooter. Of course David Hamilton left during the middle of 1999-2000. That guy went through problems, he broke his leg, he had close people to him die.

Then Mack McGadney tore his ACL during the 8 game of the 2000-2001 season.

Even though they lost all of that, they managed to go 7-9 in the SEC

lost to #4 Tennessee 96-88 in Double ot

lost to Georgia 85-80 in ot

Lost to a ranked Florida 67-65. Marquis Daniels attempt at the buzzer went in and out(Adam Harrington didn't play due to a knee sprain)

lost to Alabama 81-80. Jamison Brewer's shot missed at the buzzer.

Lost to Ole Miss 74-70. Found out after the game that some of the players were playing woth the flu, but Cliff didn't use it as an exuse. We should have won that game. We got up by 12 in the 1st half

Lost to Ole Miss in Oxford 64-62. Adam Harrington missed a shot at the buzzer.

We did beat bama in ot when Reggie Sharp hit a half court shot at the buzzer :D

We beat Vandy after falling behind by 13 with 3 minutes to go. We came back and won 69-66. Jamison Brewer hit a shot with less than 10 seconds to go.

We lost to Tennessee in the SEC Tournament. 74-68. We fell behind by 19 and actually took the lead, but we lost in the end.

In the 2001-2002 season, we beat a ranked Alabama, lost to Kentucky 69-62. This was the year we went 4-12 in the SEC.

His first year at Auburn we were supposed to finish last in the west; we finished 3rd.

Cliff was a good coach.

cliff was an OK coach, but nowhere in the range of coach lebo. cliff could win 14-15 games consistenly and sometiems 20 something, but i beleive coach lebo will be able to consistently win 20 games once he gets his players in. and by the way, curtis left to go with coach dildy to ole miss, marco left for "undisclosed" reasons, which i would rather not talk about, and lewis left to go with marco.

So I guess his 186 wins are over rated.

He was only 27 wins from being the all time winningest coach in Auburn history.

The only thing he didn't do better than previous coaches was go to 5 consecutive NCAA Tournaments. Sonny Smith did this through the early to late (83-88)

Cliff's record year by year:

16-13 (7-9)NIT

19-13(6-10)NIT

16-15(6-10)

16-14(7-9)NIT

29-4(14-2)NCAA SWEET 16

24-10(9-7)NCAA 2ND ROUND

18-14(7-9)NIT

12-16(4-12)

22-12(8-8)NCAA SWEET 16

14-14(5-11)

Joel Eves 213

Cliff Ellis 186

Averaged 18.6 wins a year. Fastest coach to reach 100 wins in Auburn history

He made Auburn some money by selling out season tickets for the 1st time in school history

Reggie Sharp and Scott Pohlman is the winningest class in Auburn history(87wins)

I agree Cliff was a good coach, but the guys that left didn't play up to their potential Cliff's last year. Ellis's biggest problem was the fact that he built most of his good teams around one or two really good players and after they left, there was a void, Porter and Robinson and then Daniels are good examples. I like Cliff and I think he is a good guy and coach but I think the program had to move in a new direction and I think Lebo has the compass and map to lead us back to the Big Dance and being a force in the SEC (sorry for the :homer: phrase, future sports writer in training.)

I think the whole probation thing has a little to do with him being gone...when you get investigated it's a good sign you won't be around long....and when guys transfer like that...it usually means that won't be getting the same "deal" that they had...whether it be not going to class or somehting else...my $.02

I guess Phillip Fulmer is behind this too! :D

It could be worse though... Back when Bub Huggins and the Bearcats were a dominant basketball team year after year, only 15% of his players ever graduated. That was the lowest in the country... Don't know what it is now though

So I guess his 186 wins are over rated.

He was only 27 wins from being the all time winningest coach in Auburn history.

Fired him just in time so we wouldn't have to name anything after him.

He had gone as far as he could. He was never able to recruit enough over the top players. He would have 2 guys and the rest would be average. It takes at least 3 great players in Ellis' system to get over the top. Lebo has a team game going and could get by eith only 2. And realistically, 2 is about all you will ever get to come to AU for basketball. I would love to see Lebo change that, but its highly unlikely.

marco left for "undisclosed" reasons, which i would rather not talk about

I heard the same thing for over a year now. Didnt he go to Indiana with Mike Davis?

Archived