softball vs. Alabama State

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is AS suffering through a Sophmore slump this year or is CH just a better pitcher as a Freshman? Was looking at season stats and CH has been used more by about 10 innings and 5 appearances.

Olszewski chops it back to the pitcher.  1 out.   Fornis coming up.   Fornis grounds to short.  2 outs.  Crocker coming up.

Checked in a couple innings ago....boy that game became uninteresting really fast......but good batting practice I guess...but things are going to be a lot more serious when UK comes to town this weekend. 

Interesting that baseball and softball both playing UK teams....is that normal or just a coincidence?  

19 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Is AS suffering through a Sophmore slump this year or is CH just a better pitcher as a Freshman? Was looking at season stats and CH has been used more by about 10 innings and 5 appearances.

I think maybe it's the latter, but it doesn't hurt that Harris is a lefty.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

They'll both probably pitch relief this year but only after Coach thinks Kaylee and Makayla are both tired and need help.  Who he goes with will probably be a gut feel based on his years as a pitching coach and who he thinks has the best "stuff" that day.

16 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

My understanding is that CH has more movement on her pitches.

Watching a replay of this, the amazing thing is the ASU pitcher actually looks pretty good. She threw hard, was all around the zone, but got bad framing from her catcher, bad defense and an ump who squeezed her hard. That and Auburn did an amazing job swinging at only strikes and laying off close balls. Good sign for the Tigers.

I wonder how much of a chance Swindle has gotten at the plate? She was one of the best hitters in the state as a senior.  I realize the competition wasn't the greatest but still, .557 BA; 13 HR; 86 RBI.  She may be a good pinch hitter for one of the slappers when we need more than a slap or bunt. 

I think it's a good idea, but apparently Dean doesn't.  The only pitcher who's even been talked about as a hitter is Makayla, who famously had a pinch-hit triple.  I'm sure you remember that Swindle and Perry played on the same team in HS, and had similar offensive stats.  I guess that even if you're just going to pinch-hit, you have to spend some time in the cage, and maybe Swindle a/o Dean have nixed that idea.  And now the SEC season has started.  And so, in spite of support from two brilliant analysts like us, I think it's an idea whose time won't ever come.  I doubt we see Makayla with the lumber again, either. 

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I think it's a good idea, but apparently Dean doesn't.  The only pitcher who's even been talked about as a hitter is Makayla, who famously had a pinch-hit triple.  I'm sure you remember that Swindle and Perry played on the same team in HS, and had similar offensive stats.  I guess that even if you're just going to pinch-hit, you have to spend some time in the cage, and maybe Swindle a/o Dean have nixed that idea.  And now the SEC season has started.  And so, in spite of support from two brilliant analysts like us, I think it's an idea whose time won't ever come.  I doubt we see Makayla with the lumber again, either. 

If you have ever seen the AU pitchers swing in practice, it is pretty clear why they are focusing on pitching.  Martin does have the best swing, but even it is not SEC ready.  Don't be fooled by HS stats.  Summer is a better comparison, but still huge difference in high school, summer ball, and college.  There are several HS POY from states that are not even playing much in college (yet).  

Archived