2018 Women's Soccer

aucanucktiger

Daly picks up a yellow card. She’s been very aggressive in the midfield and deserved that. She’s off now but will need to be more careful when she returns. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL LeBeau having none of this ref. He’s not awful but he’s not good either. Just gave a corner to Cincy on a ball over the bar, when AU protested, he carded the bench. 

3-1 AU FT. Ladies have their best start in program history at 7-0-0. Cincy was a good test and AU handled it well. Had a good bit of possession and found the necessary goals with good midfield play and defending. 

Tonight should be a good one. MSU comes to town to face the #9 Auburn Tigers, both teams are 7-0-0 but probably untested. MSU has only given up 2 goals and those were in a 5-2 win over Memphis, AU has surrendered 3. Should be a good indicator of where these young Tigers are.

GOAL!! Aycock gets a beautiful pass from Daly and shots on target but the keeper saves. Bri Folds following up the play slots a ball past the defender and the keeper diving to get back into the play. 

1-0 AU 24’ to go in 1H

This one started slow as both teams traded turning the ball over and not generating any chances, but a couple of subs and things opened up. 

GOAL! Aycock takes a pass from the midfield (not sure who) and has Folds screaming down the left side in a 2 on 1 (plus keeper). I’m screaming, “There’s Bri!!” But Aycock says no, and flips it to the left and slots it in from just inside the top of the box. MSU had been owning possession since the first AU goal, but one play just turned this one into a 2-0 lead for AU. 

15’ to go 1H

Save by LeBeau. MSU putting lots of pressure on AU right now with 9 min to go in the half. Corner coming for MSU. They get a little better look than you want but it’s out for a goal kick. I hate 2-0 first half leads. 

2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Save by LeBeau. MSU putting lots of pressure on AU right now with 9 min to go in the half. Corner coming for MSU. They get a little better look than you want but it’s out for a goal kick. I hate 2-0 first half leads. 

why?

2-0 HT. If I didn’t tell you who was leading and you didn’t see the 2 min worth of attack that resulted in 2 goals, you would think MSU was the team up. They are turning AU over in midfield and getting it up to their big forwards at the top of the box at quite a rate. A couple of good LeBeau saves and those 2 nice attacks by AU are the difference in this one right now. 

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

why?

Because of EXACTLY what has happened. AU is on their heals as MSU has turned it up to 11. AU seems content to just stop and attack and turn it right back over in midfield. There is an air of, “We got this,” when they really don’t. MSU is VERY capable of turning this around on the scoreboard in a hurry and AU can’t park the bus for 45 min and win. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Because of EXACTLY what has happened. AU is on their heals as MSU has turned it up to 11. AU seems content to just stop and attack and turn it right back over in midfield. There is an air of, “We got this,” when they really don’t. MSU is VERY capable of turning this around on the scoreboard in a hurry and AU can’t park the bus for 45 min and win. 

I hear you hopefully works out for our girls

Looks like Coach Hoppa has moved back to two forwards and that’s helping some. MSU still spending a healthy portion of the time in their end 5 min into the second half. 

Oh, a chance for AU. Daly drops one off to Aycock but she fires right at the keeper. I hate 2-0 leads, but 3-0 is a WHOLE different story. Wish that had been. 

And another one on one after a beautiful counter that sees Folds slot a nice ball to Sanders but keeper saves. 

AU gets a corner with 32’ to go. Bri Folds to take. 

MSU clears after AU gets a shot that looked like it might have caught an MSU arm in the box. 

Well, I can’t type out what just happened well on my phone, but a deflected MSU clear results in Sanders battling for a ball at the top of the box. MSU defender clearly pulls her down by her jersey but Sanders gets off a shot (likely why no foul called). The keeper was on her knees and still made the save. 

AU needs one more. 

It should be 2-1 AU. I don’t know what the call was but MSU had 2 point blank shots saved, but the third was put home. However the ref signals what the announcers say is a foul, or something, so no goal. Not a ton of protest by MSU so they must have seen whatever it was. 

17’ to go in the half

Whittaker gets a yellow for time wasting as she kicks the ball back to the spot of the foul after she’s called for a foul. Didn’t see it so can’t confirm. 

MSU changes keepers and with 7’ to go a foul at midfield results in that new keeper come up into AU’s box. The free kick bounces in the box and over the bar as no one touch it it seems. 

Throw coming for MSU and the keeper comes up. Whittaker intercepts the throw and kicks it down the field toward an empty MSU net. It becomes a foot race between the MSU defender and Aycock. Aycock wins the race by a couple of steps, takes 2 touches and AU seals this one with 4’ to go. 

Archived