KB leaves Houston to be FSU OC

NorthGATiger

It is over now but wish we could have pulled this off.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25597071/kendal-briles-leaves-houston-join-florida-state-offensive-coordinator

Kendal Briles leaves Houston to join Florida St. as offensive coordinator

Houston offensive coordinator Kendal Briles is expected to take the same job at Florida State, sources told ESPN on Saturday.

Sources confirmed that Briles has already resigned at Houston, which suffered a record-tying 56-point defeat to Army in the Armed Forces Bowl. The Athletic first reported Briles' resignation.

Briles, the son of former Houston and Baylor coach Art Briles, agreed to a new three-year deal with Houston earlier this month. Briles agreed to the new deal at Houston after being a top candidate for the head coach job at Texas State, according to sources. The Houston Chronicle reported the contract made Briles the highest-paid assistant coach at a non-Power 5 school.

That revised contract at Houston delayed the move to Florida State, which had been likely for several weeks.

Briles began his coaching career on his father's Baylor staff in 2008 and remained there until 2016, serving as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach the final two seasons. He spent the 2017 season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Lane Kiffin's staff at Florida Atlantic, which won a Conference USA championship.

At Florida State, he will replace Walt Bell, who left to take the head-coaching position at UMass.

Entering Saturday's bowl games, Houston (8-5) ranked fourth in the nation with 46.4 points per game and sixth with 529 yards per game. The Cougars' 44 passing touchdowns were third-most in FBS.

Houston's season ended in a tailspin, as it lost its fourth game in the past five and was limited to just 14 points against Army. The Cougars' previous lowest point total of the season was 31 in losses at SMU on Nov. 3 and Memphis in the regular-season finale.

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

It is over now but wish we could have pulled this off.

People would be like; “did you see Houston’s offense against Army?  We don’t want him loosing 70-14”.  

It will be interesting to see how he does at FSU under Taggert for future reference.  Experience is what he needs against good defenses, but not under Gus.

If you saw the Houston/Army game; it was a pleasure to witness a team that was well coached and enthusiastic to be playing in that bowl.  Army was well disciplined and hungry for the win.  Nice job coach.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

People would be like; “did you see Houston’s offense against Army?  We don’t want him loosing 70-14”.  

It will be interesting to see how he does at FSU under Taggert for future reference.  Experience is what he needs against good defenses, but not under Gus.

If you saw the Houston/Army game; it was a pleasure to witness a team that was well coached and enthusiastic to be playing in that bowl.  Army was well disciplined and hungry for the win.  Nice job coach.

Houston on the other hand......they ain’t want no parts of it. Ed Oliver did not even suit up, and KB was probably looking for a home in Tallahassee

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Houston on the other hand......they ain’t want no parts of it. Ed Oliver did not even suit up, and KB was probably looking for a home in Tallahassee

Ahhh, the same excuse for Auburn football last year.  Got it.  I was focusing on the execution and desire of the winning program, but I get your point.  If you go into a game with built in excuses before hand, you get embarrassed by 2 and 3 star players.  Works every time.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ahhh, the same excuse for Auburn football last year.  Got it.  I was focusing on the execution and desire of the winning program, but I get your point.  If you go into a game with built in excuses before hand, you get embarrassed by 2 and 3 star players.  Works every time.

Army played great ...not their fault Houston did not wanna be there. They did exactly what they were supposed to do..beat them like a drum. I would tried to score 100 on them if I was the coach.

I was really impressed with Army's tackling. It is very obvious the were very well coached on defense. They made a lot of text book tackles. Houston's technique  on the other hand was atrocious and the score really told a story. Congrats to Army on a great game plan and execution.

WDE

Probably the best move Taggert could make to buy himself some time at FSU. And if Briles can turn that offense around, that's gotta greatly improve his chances at a HC job going forward.
And I do find it interesting that he had just signed a new 3yr deal with Houston this month. Just shows that if a coach or school is ready to move on, a contract is just a piece of paper.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

With the talent they have around them, he will have a scary O

Houston thinks they can pull Dana Holgerson from WVU??  He's making double what UofH was paying Applewhite.  Not to mention the Big 12 is slightly higher profile than AAC.

Wonder if there is any thought being given to try and bring Briles back as HC?

2 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Never understood why Houston hired Applewhite 

That collapse in the bowl game pretty much sealed his fate I guess.   KB going back is about the best they could do...

Archived